PDA

View Full Version : Coral Growth

Dez
06-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Hmmmm, I've always wondered why is it that the ugly corals grow the fastest? What I've found is that the corals that I like less in my tank are the fastest growing corals and the ones that are "desired" grow so much slower. It's almost like the most expensive frag that I buy grows the slowest and the $10 - $15 dollar frags just grow like crazy. Or the most expensive corals change to a "normal" looking coral in my tank and when you give it away it becomes "super nice" again. It's kind of frustrating.

lastlight
06-01-2010, 05:37 AM
You can buy those cheap frags for that price BECAUSE they grow so fast =)

lockrookie
06-01-2010, 05:49 AM
maybe its like growing flowers they say if you talk to them and sing to them they grow faster....

lastlight
06-01-2010, 05:56 AM
I sing some pretty darn silly songs to my kids and they're growing like weeds. I write some pretty catchy stuff but most of it's about poop. Not sure the corals would like it.

Dez
06-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Don't corals eat fish poop. Maybe you're onto something there Brett.

lastlight
06-01-2010, 06:15 AM
Lol good point. You must have your toilet's drain teed into your tank then!

lockrookie
06-01-2010, 06:26 AM
my overflow sure sounds like its tied into the toilet at times...i cant sing to my corals im afriad ill break the glass.

fishytime
06-01-2010, 03:06 PM
So true!......the other thing that "gets" me is.......the cheap corals are always the stingy-est and win in a coral fight.....:neutral:

kien
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I believe there is a category for this under Murphy's Law.

What frustrates me is when I buy a frag (or even a colony) of something that I think looks cool at the LFS (or someone's tank), I bring it home and within a few weeks it turns into an exact replica of a colony that I already had.. WTF! :neutral:

lastlight
06-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I bring it home and within a few weeks it turns into an exact replica of a colony that I already had.. WTF! :neutral:

I used to have that problem with zoas strangely enough.

Dez
06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
I believe there is a category for this under Murphy's Law.

What frustrates me is when I buy a frag (or even a colony) of something that I think looks cool at the LFS (or someone's tank), I bring it home and within a few weeks it turns into an exact replica of a colony that I already had.. WTF! :neutral:

Totally, my bird of many colours is now a bird of one colour - pink birdsnest. Argh!!!!!

I have about 3 tricolor colonies now!!!!!

fishoholic
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Yuck! :yuck:

my overflow sure sounds like its tied into the toilet at times...i cant sing to my corals im afriad ill break the glass.

:lol:

fishoholic
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
Totally, my bird of many colours is now a bird of one colour - pink birdsnest. Argh!!!!!

I have about 3 tricolor colonies now!!!!!

Don't feel to bad Dez, most of the pretty sps I got from you are turning brown in my tank :sad: Good PE but brown. Me thinks I need better lights!

Zoaelite
06-01-2010, 06:41 PM
This is my "Out there" theory as I'm not 100% about it nor have a read anything to completely support this.

Maybe brown coral grows faster because its healthier? If you look at the majority of coral in the wild it appears to have more brown hues (possibly because of lighting) but growth rates in the ocean we can agree are usually better than our tanks. Maybe this is because the coral is packed with extra zooxanthellae supporting more cellular photosynthesis resulting in faster growth? Just my 2 cents, any advance SPS keepers please feel free to rip it apart :lol:.

DiverDude
06-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Ummmm...that would imply that you have trained your fish to use the toilet.

Now THAT would be impressive......put the tank next to the crapper; they jump out of the tank and into the bowl to do their business and then jump back into the tank.

Talk about ULNS !!

Parker
06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I'd be happy if anything grew at all! :D

BlueTang<3
06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
This is my "Out there" theory as I'm not 100% about it nor have a read anything to completely support this.

Maybe brown coral grows faster because its healthier? If you look at the majority of coral in the wild it appears to have more brown hues (possibly because of lighting) but growth rates in the ocean we can agree are usually better than our tanks. Maybe this is because the coral is packed with extra zooxanthellae supporting more cellular photosynthesis resulting in faster growth? Just my 2 cents, any advance SPS keepers please feel free to rip it apart :lol:.

Light changes coral colour to what we think looks cool. Sun is at 6500 kelvin or something put lower kelvin bulbs in your fixture your going to get great growth but brown colour. I agree with u when u dose zeo spur it thins tissues and it says on the bottle to much and u will stop coral growth.