PDA

View Full Version : VorTech MP40w Question

Trocar61
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
If I was to purchase this item, but wanted a second power head does one need to buy 2 units or can you buy just the power head to add to the first one cause i read you can run multiple power heads. hope I'm making sense here. I guess what I'm trying to say is if I bought the 499.00 dollar one and want a second power head do i need to spend 1000.00 or can you just get the power head only at a cheaper price?:redface:
thanks for any feedback.

Smudge
05-31-2010, 09:39 PM
You need to spend the 1000.

xtreme
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Each unit needs its own controller and power supply to work. $500 a shot, no way around that.

Trocar61
05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
That's what I thought thanks guys.

xtreme
05-31-2010, 11:04 PM
If it is just the MP40W you are looking for you can get them for around $420 now that the ES model is out.

Trocar61
05-31-2010, 11:55 PM
If it is just the MP40W you are looking for you can get them for around $420 now that the ES model is out.

What's the difference in the two . And is there any feed back on this unit pros or cons would like to here them. cause i really want to get this unit.

BlueTang<3
06-01-2010, 02:18 AM
Couple different modes, there are problems with the new es drivers nothing major but for the 80 bucks i would just buy the older mp40w i got 4 they are a great pump.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.1.pdf Here is the manual for the es.

Trocar61
06-01-2010, 04:36 AM
Couple different modes, there are problems with the new es drivers nothing major but for the 80 bucks i would just buy the older mp40w i got 4 they are a great pump.

http://ecotechmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/FULLMANUAL_Revision1.1.pdf Here is the manual for the es.

Thanks man i will check it out.

Ron99
06-01-2010, 05:16 AM
I think the ES is a great upgrade as it has some features the regular MP40W missed (and probably should have had). It is easier to set and tune etc. and the on/off button is a welcome addition. With the MP40W the only way to turn off the pump was to unplug it which lost some settings.

The only problem with the ES at the moment is a bug in the timing of the night mode but they are apparently working on a firmware update that will fix that.

Trocar61
06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
I think the ES is a great upgrade as it has some features the regular MP40W missed (and probably should have had). It is easier to set and tune etc. and the on/off button is a welcome addition. With the MP40W the only way to turn off the pump was to unplug it which lost some settings.

The only problem with the ES at the moment is a bug in the timing of the night mode but they are apparently working on a firmware update that will fix that.

Well that's good to know thanks.

Trocar61
06-01-2010, 02:29 PM
is anyone using this unit, and do you find its worth the money? and would one work for now in my system 48x30x20...Thanks:lol:

mike31154
06-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I currently have two MP40W ES. I started with a single Generation 1 MP40W on my 77 and was immediately impressed with the water movement compared to anything else I'd used to that point. Mind you, I had been using conventional AquaClear powerheads which tend to produce very concentrated flow in a narrow band. Never had the opportunity to try a Tunze propeller pump so I can't comment on those, but I believe they are comparable to the VorTechs, including pricing. Where the VorTechs have the edge is in the ability to wirelessly communicate between an unlimited number of drivers/pumps. This provides unequalled flexibility in flow patterns. The only problem I've had in the two years after upgrading to Gen 2, then ES, is an unusual noise from the dry side of the original pump. I sent an audio file of the sound to EcoTech and they suggested I send it in for them to have a look at. It was still under warranty so the issue was taken care of quickly and with no charge. For me this was a cautionary step, since warranty was almost up and I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem. Other than the slight growling sound the pump was still working flawlessly.

Shortly after getting the original pump, there was a wet side magnet/bearing and driver firmware upgrade bringing the MP40W to Generation 2 configuration. I purchased the magnet upgrade kit for around $10 directly from EcoTech. An inexpensive and very worthwile upgrade. Had to wait for the firmware upgrade until I purchased a second MP40W through the buy/sell forum on another site. Finally, about a month or so after the new ES drivers became available, I upgraded both my pumps with the new drivers. In my case, again a very worthwile investment due to the additional modes and features of the new drivers. As mentioned, the only issue is a time creep in the Night Mode, which they really should have solved before shipping the new drivers. The old drivers (mine anyhow) had the same problem after the Gen 2 firmware update. I certainly hope the firmware fix for the new drivers is out there soon. Not a deal breaker, particularly if you choose not to use the night mode but it is a bit of a pain resetting the start time every few days due to a 15 min/day shift.

With supplemental flow, you'll be fine with a single VorTech to start with, but for your size tank, I reckon right after you install the first one, you'll be scheming & saving up for #2. A single wireless capable VorTech is a waste of $$. If you intend to use only one on a smaller system, save some $ and get a non wireless model. In a pinch it can be upgraded with a wireless driver in the future, but if the plan is to have more than one, which in your case seems the way to go, you may as well start with an MP40W ES from the get go. Costly yes, but I spread the investment by buying them a year apart and do not even remotely regret spending the money.

Trocar61
06-01-2010, 07:42 PM
I currently have two MP40W ES. I started with a single Generation 1 MP40W on my 77 and was immediately impressed with the water movement compared to anything else I'd used to that point. Mind you, I had been using conventional AquaClear powerheads which tend to produce very concentrated flow in a narrow band. Never had the opportunity to try a Tunze propeller pump so I can't comment on those, but I believe they are comparable to the VorTechs, including pricing. Where the VorTechs have the edge is in the ability to wirelessly communicate between an unlimited number of drivers/pumps. This provides unequalled flexibility in flow patterns. The only problem I've had in the two years after upgrading to Gen 2, then ES, is an unusual noise from the dry side of the original pump. I sent an audio file of the sound to EcoTech and they suggested I send it in for them to have a look at. It was still under warranty so the issue was taken care of quickly and with no charge. For me this was a cautionary step, since warranty was almost up and I wanted to make sure there wasn't a problem. Other than the slight growling sound the pump was still working flawlessly.

Shortly after getting the original pump, there was a wet side magnet/bearing and driver firmware upgrade bringing the MP40W to Generation 2 configuration. I purchased the magnet upgrade kit for around $10 directly from EcoTech. An inexpensive and very worthwile upgrade. Had to wait for the firmware upgrade until I purchased a second MP40W through the buy/sell forum on another site. Finally, about a month or so after the new ES drivers became available, I upgraded both my pumps with the new drivers. In my case, again a very worthwile investment due to the additional modes and features of the new drivers. As mentioned, the only issue is a time creep in the Night Mode, which they really should have solved before shipping the new drivers. The old drivers (mine anyhow) had the same problem after the Gen 2 firmware update. I certainly hope the firmware fix for the new drivers is out there soon. Not a deal breaker, particularly if you choose not to use the night mode but it is a bit of a pain resetting the start time every few days due to a 15 min/day shift.

With supplemental flow, you'll be fine with a single VorTech to start with, but for your size tank, I reckon right after you install the first one, you'll be scheming & saving up for #2. A single wireless capable VorTech is a waste of $$. If you intend to use only one on a smaller system, save some $ and get a non wireless model. In a pinch it can be upgraded with a wireless driver in the future, but if the plan is to have more than one, which in your case seems the way to go, you may as well start with an MP4W ES from the get go. Costly yes, but I spread the investment by buying them a year apart and do not even remotely regret spending the money.

Wow, good to know I really appreciate it. I will be buying the mp4w for sure thanks again for that:biggrin:

mike31154
06-01-2010, 11:39 PM
If you can afford the 'ES', go for that. Check out the EcoTech web page, they have all the manuals for the various models available for download as pdf documents. That will give you a better idea of the differences between the normal W pumps and the W ES models. With the ES models you can have a 40 at each end of the tank and a 10 at the back in the center. I believe this is a recommended configuration for your size system and will take full advantage of the latest EcoSmart Tidal Swell and Nutrient Transport modes.

Trocar61
06-02-2010, 03:09 AM
If you can afford the 'ES', go for that. Check out the EcoTech web page, they have all the manuals for the various models available for download as pdf documents. That will give you a better idea of the differences between the normal W pumps and the W ES models. With the ES models you can have a 40 at each end of the tank and a 10 at the back in the center. I believe this is a recommended configuration for your size system and will take full advantage of the latest EcoSmart Tidal Swell and Nutrient Transport modes.

Thats wicked, thanks Mike:razz: