PDA

View Full Version : Hey Titus

farmerjo90
09-17-2001, 01:14 PM
Missed you at the club meeting. I was just thumbing through the Sept. 2001 issue of Fresh Water and Marine Aquarium magazine and on the last page is a 1/4 page ad for your skimmers. It says that they are now available at your website? I thought you were doing your masters. What are you doing your masters in?
shirley

titus
09-17-2001, 03:11 PM
Hello farmerjo90,

Yes I have to work on my thesis so I wasn't able to go to the meeting. And yes, I did request an ad to be put in the mag but that was moons ago. The product was actually on the site until I decided a little while ago to put the business on hold and focus only on my Master. If you want to see the skimmer, Sam and Troy has it so you can check it out if a meeting is hosted at their places.

I did my Bachelor in EE at UBC specialized in wireless communication, DSP. Now I'm investigating the potential capacity increase for cellular networks.

Titus

titus
09-17-2001, 08:28 PM
Hello reefburnaby,

Never realized there's another EE (from UBC too!) here. Um... you graduated 2 years ahead of me. Did you go work before Master? Where?
Don't worry about your thesis, I have the feeling that's the norm with professors in general.

Titus

DJ88
09-17-2001, 10:38 PM
It may not be a degree but I have a diploma in EE(Memorial Univ) and am working on my second at BCIT. Telecomms and wireless this time..

Had to add in and spoil you little clique with a tech..

LOL!

[ 17 September 2001: Message edited by: DJ88 ]

reefburnaby
09-18-2001, 04:42 AM
Hey Titus,

I figured thats what you were doing...good luck images/smiles/icon_smile.gif

I am waiting for my prof (Ivanov) to read my thesis....its been two months....

- Victor.
B.A.Sc (EE Comp. Option) 1997 UBC
M.A.Sc (EE VLSI) 2002 UBC

reefburnaby
09-18-2001, 10:39 AM
Hello,

Cool...more EE guys. DJ88...some of the smartest EE guys don't even have their bachelors images/smiles/icon_smile.gif So...don't worry. Say, why didn't you go to a university for an EE degree ? It should only take 2 years in your case. Feel free to ask any questions regarding wireless/datacom/telecom.

I have been working for over 5 years at PMC-Sierra. I design CMOS transistor level circuits (PLLs, IOs, ADCs and DACs) that are optimized to run at multi-GHz. Job related stress is fairly high in this line of work. Especially if a single mistake in your design can cost the company several million USD. So...reefing helps reduce the stress.

As for my schooling...I really never left school. I did my B.A.Sc in 4 years and proceeded with my M.A.Sc as a part time project.

Kind of peculiar that we are all in Telecom/Datacom/Wireless.

- Victor.

[ 18 September 2001: Message edited by: reefburnaby ]

DJ88
09-18-2001, 12:21 PM
I didn't go to get the degree as the military is paying for it and wouldn't go for univ as it wasn't guaranteed to be two years.. So I went to BCIT.. lol

Neat job. I am not even thinking about employment yet.. by the end of next semester I will. Still thinking abotu CO-op or not.. may need some time off.. Not because of shool.. lol..

I'll keep the offer in mind. Tele comms is a bit different than Navigation and Acoustic systems. Not a lot for the acoustic, but..

reefburnaby
09-19-2001, 01:51 AM
Hello DJ88,

Co-op or no Co-op that is the question...choose co-op. You will never regret it. There are several benefits :

1) You can test drive a job (literally). If you don't like it...there aren't any strings attached.
2) If you like the current job, you know the insiders who can help you get a permanent position in the same company.
3) Some companies only hire people with relevant work experience (i.e. co-op).

Its a lot of work...but all of my co-ops have said that it was well worth it.

We should talk at the next group meeting...and I can give you some advice/tips/current outlook for hi-tech companies.

- Victor.