PDA

View Full Version : zoa eating nudi's

cuz
05-31-2010, 02:04 AM
basically, does any one have a method for either a tank treatment, or a natural preditor? read that wrasses are hit or miss, also read about flat worm exit but that would meen alot of snails to hunt down meaning close to a teardown. Dips would be difficult as alot of my zoa colonies are on huge rocks.
any ideas are welcome but prefer hands on experience with them.

Gooly001
05-31-2010, 02:18 AM
We've had great success treating nudis with PraziPro and it is somewhat reef safe.

Cheers,

Paul

cuz
05-31-2010, 02:22 AM
hmm define somewhat reefsafe? quick read seems like its fairly toxic. not for use in fish food?
have you used it in a mixed reef set-up without problems?

noirsphynx
05-31-2010, 04:31 AM
Looks like it might be worth a try

http://www.practicalcoralfarming.com/zoonudis.html

cuz
05-31-2010, 04:39 AM
good link!! thanks!!
sounds promising!

Zoaelite
05-31-2010, 04:59 AM
If your looking for a more natural option, read below but to completely remove them from the tank its imperative to inspect every zoa for the egg sacks. I found that yellow and purple corris wrasses worked very well.
Hope this helps.

Zoa eating Nudibranch Eating Wrasses
Many of us have had the unfortunate experience of combating Nudibranchs in the past. I don't wish them on anyone as they will wreck continuous havoc on a zoanthid population. Many will only keep Palythoas as a sort of proactive measure to keeping their reefs Nudi free. It is still possible, if great care is not taken, to infest your tank with Nudibranchs. They will Hitchhike on rocks without a single zoanthid present. It certainly happened to me many moons ago, I simply forgot to dip and true enough, BAM, a Nudi. I have seen them in stores on rocks without a single zoanthid or palythoa on the rocks. From many hours of just watching them, they will consume one rock, then travel to find more polyps to consume and yes, they will travel across other rocks to get to the next colony they want to devastate.

Dipping, close visual inspection and QTing are the most noted ways of preventing infestations, but a good hunter always on the prowl will also decrease the amount of time the infestation will occur. For this reason, lets create a list of known Nudibranch consuming Wrasses for future reference. Listed below are a few that I have heard of, but I'm sure their are many many more, so please take a moment to share everyone. It could truly help a fellow reefer in need some day.
All WRASSES
1. Yellow Coris
2. 4,6 and 8 Line The 6line ( can be a real PITA ) MAY kill other wrasses
3. Lunar
4. Possum (reefsafe)
5. Orange Striped
6. Christmas ( questionable with inverts will kill starfishes )
7. Pink Striped
8. green coris
9. leopard wrasses ENEY
Not a wrasse the target mandarin,
Some have said most anything in the Halichores Family as they are serious stalkers.

cuz
05-31-2010, 05:19 AM
only because of the availability of the yellow coris here in town i was planning on a 6-line wrasse tomorrow.
thanks for the help Levi!!
I have had 2 zoa colonies dissolve down to nothing but thats been over the course of 1 1/2 yrs so i ruled out nudis previously. Now its got me woundering!!

what is the differences between zoas and palys in a nudis eyes? as quoted above? keeping palys as a pro-active measure??

Zoaelite
05-31-2010, 05:42 AM
only because of the availability of the yellow coris here in town i was planning on a 6-line wrasse tomorrow.
I have had 2 zoa colonies dissolve down to nothing but thats been over the course of 1 1/2 yrs so i ruled out nudis previously. Now its got me woundering!!

what is the differences between zoas and palys in a nudis eyes? as quoted above? keeping palys as a pro-active measure??

The nudies won't eat pally's, Nudies like certain other species (Starfish, Harlequin shrimp, ect...) eat really specific food sources.

Chowder
05-31-2010, 05:48 AM
I use a melanarus wrasse . It is always hunting and picking at the zoas and other corals for food.

http://www.themarinecenter.com/fish/wrassereefsafe/melanuruswrasse/

I alos dip all my zoas when I get them an expect them for eggs. I use the salt water they came in and 5 drops of coralRX. It kills all inverts and nudis that are on the frags and colonies. I have a friend who swares by flat worm exit. Same thing adds it to the water they came in.

http://coralrx.com/

If you can remove your colonies and dip them and expect them I would.

Chris

kien
05-31-2010, 07:56 AM
Melanarus and Leopard wrasses for me. Two very pretty wrasses that are extremely hard workers :biggrin:

fishytime
05-31-2010, 03:11 PM

we have yellow corris wrasses in stock man!(talk to Ryan, he said he might be coming up to pick up an angel we have, or possibly having it shipped)......crappy problem to have.....good luck with it...

cuz
06-02-2010, 02:14 AM
man this is tedious going thru every single polyp 1 by 1!!
only found 3 more nudis so far and the same pieces that had the nudis did have eggs!! I've done 30-35 different zoas/palys and i think i'm close to halfway!!

vaporize
06-02-2010, 02:46 AM
I remembered reading somebody using FW Exit and combination of freshwater baths (will not take care of the eggs though)

cuz
06-02-2010, 05:38 AM
the revivie seems to be taking excellent care of the nudi's along with a solid visual for eggs. All zoanthids will stay in the frag tank till the dt is empty of zoas/palys. my only concern is the rockwork, It is possible for them to lay eggs on rocks, glass or anywhere they travelled. I don't really want to pull sps colonies off rocks to dipp the rocks and visually seeing eggs on rock seems neer impossible.
Do i leave all food source out of the dt and let them starve out?
how long?

subman
11-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Just saw one in my tank :bad-word: How did it turn out for you cuz? I have a red coris in there and hes always on the prowl but....he missed one so I'm sure there is lots:sad:

reefwars
11-05-2012, 04:12 PM
Just saw one in my tank :bad-word: How did it turn out for you cuz? I have a red coris in there and hes always on the prowl but....he missed one so I'm sure there is lots:sad:

if theres one theres prob more and eggs to boot.

i gave an exact qt schedule and treatment on another thread ive talked with the op and it worked like a charm i also have it on reefcentral and people are using it....it works plain and simple.

its a 3 week routine though involving removing all your zoos to qt, and then qt all your new zoos afterwards.

ill find the link to the thread in a minute for you:)

red corris wrasses will hunt them for sure, the yellows just a better/safer reef choice is all:)

reefwars
11-05-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=90153&highlight=zoa+nudis

have a gander feller:)

Leach29
11-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I did exactly what Reefwars said!
It was a pain to get all my zoas out, I had to chisel them off some live rock but well worth it. I am now completely free of these buggers!

canadianbudz604
11-06-2012, 05:16 PM
+1 I also follwed reefwars plan and it took 4.5 weeks but they are all gone. Haven't seen one in over a month

subman
11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
i took out all the colonies and dipped, inspected and.....nada maybe I over reacted and it wasn't a zoa eating nudi. I'll keep looking:twised:

canadianbudz604
11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Zoa eating nudis will drive u nuts. The first 2 or 3 weeks of dipping I thought ok they are gone. Come home from work the next day zoas are closed and nudis everywhere. Where there is one there is usually more

lastlight
11-06-2012, 08:18 PM
My leopard was a relentless hunter. The melanarus made him look like a total slacker!