PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton reef get-together in December?

Quinn
11-05-2003, 07:48 PM
Anyone interested in getting together sometime in December for a meeting? Lots of new faces, we could do a frag trade at one person's house or do a bit of a tank crawl perhaps. I can't host obviously because I'm not in Edmonton, but maybe someone else is interested. There's got to be at least ten new people... maybe a Friday night near Xmas?

littleboyblue16
11-05-2003, 11:44 PM
that would be awsome, i probly can't host eather

kuatto
11-06-2003, 12:51 AM
I just talked to my boss :wink: she gave her approval,but wanted to know how many were interested.So let me know how many and we'll set a date that would work for everyone.i got a huge house,so room isn't a prob!Once we get some numbers i'll plan on what to make for food and drinks. :drinking:
Cheers
Jim

Trevor Robertson
11-06-2003, 01:29 AM
I am in for Dec 13th and willing to host.

I am in the west end.

let me know

kuatto
11-06-2003, 01:33 AM
Guess i should've mentioned i live in the North end,near the Military base

Jim :biggrin:

Quinn
11-06-2003, 03:22 AM
I am waiting for my December schedule, I will post what weekends work best for me.

littleboyblue16
11-06-2003, 06:40 AM
i am in on it, more for kuatto's place though so i don't have to take the bus, damn young people eh? haha, sorry i live in lauderdale so its easy for me to get their

Beverly
11-06-2003, 12:23 PM
We'd like to visit too :smile: Pick a Friday evening, say around 7-ish, and we'll arrange our schedule to be there.

Don't have any frags, though, but am will to take any sps frags on offer for our dual 5 gal nanos.

Trevor Robertson
11-06-2003, 02:03 PM
Fridays are not the best for me, but I may be able to make it work. I am fine with going to the north side, plus my tank is nothing great to look at anyway (well compared to yours).

I don't have frags but am willing to purchase any pylops or zoos or even mushrooms that you may have.

kuatto
11-06-2003, 02:29 PM
I would love to get as many as possible(place some faces to the names :biggrin: )so how about Dec 06(Saturday)?Granted my tanks are not as pretty as some.Might have a few greenstriped shrooms and a small starpolyp frag to trade.I'm from the east coast so i'm use to having a whole house full of people,so come one,come all!

Jim :mrgreen:
1215 Klarvatten court,NW Edm,
(780)457-1247

Trevor Robertson
11-07-2003, 01:40 AM
ya I think that date will work fine for me, but I will know more as it gets closer.

Well put me down for being there.

I hope we can get 10 or more people there, and make this a bit of a regular thing, come on now the ball is in your court make a comitment.

Are you coming?

littleboyblue16
11-07-2003, 01:41 AM
sounds good to me, but i am bringing a friend, and i will be really shy haha

Stretch
11-07-2003, 02:15 AM
Well i could probably make it, I think i have the week before christmas off, so that'd be good for me. But when theres a forsure date i'll let you ppl know

kuatto
11-07-2003, 02:35 AM
O.K. guess i should keep a list of people as they comfirm.lets see,sofar we have Trever,Littleboyblue,Quinn(??)Bev(??)....

Jim :razz:

Quinn
11-07-2003, 03:08 AM
I have to confirm I don't work that day (I work 32 hour weekends).

Beverly
11-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Jim,

Pick an evening, around 7-ish, and Chris and I will be there :smile:

kuatto
11-07-2003, 03:28 AM
Bev,Dec 06(a Saturday)7 pm ? Will that work?

Beverly
11-07-2003, 11:59 AM
Bev,Dec 06(a Saturday)7 pm ? Will that work?

Yup, works for us :smile:

littleboyblue16
11-08-2003, 01:31 AM
is it ok if i can bring a friend, so i am not a loner haha, nawh i wouldnt be, but a room full of adults would be haha

kuatto
11-08-2003, 01:51 AM
Sure,you can bring a friend,but what is this about adults!where? :mrgreen: :razz:

Quinn
11-08-2003, 04:04 AM
You're only as young/old as you feel, right? On that note, I would suggest that new people have to bring the beer, but I have a feeling some of our new people can't exactly obtain beer legally. :lol: :razz:

littleboyblue16
11-08-2003, 05:54 AM
haha, me beer nawh, sorry
i will just bring myself how about that

nothing about adults, i really shouldnt say anything most of my friends are adults and the one i am bringing is an adult haha whatever adults are awsome :P

kuatto
11-08-2003, 01:58 PM
:lol: alas,my boyish young looks are gone...the woman where i get my acupunture done thought i was 42 :rolleyes: .I said to her jokingly"geesh,just because i'm balding,pot belly,and have 5 kids" :mrgreen: She turned all redfaced when i said i was 34(guess i shouldn't make her feel emberased,since she's the one jamming large needles in my spine :sad: )

Jim

ABreefkpr
11-08-2003, 06:46 PM
Count me in for this unless something else comes up. :biggrin:

Keith

mario
11-08-2003, 10:48 PM
Put me and Darlene down for now, will confirm in a couple of days, have to make sure that we have the weekend off. :angel:

kuatto
11-09-2003, 01:39 AM
So far we got;
-Quinn
-Littleboyblue +Guest
-Beverly + Chris
-Trever
-Keith
-Mario + Darlene
-Mpishi

10,anymore takers? :biggrin:

sleeman
11-09-2003, 02:20 AM
I may be a last minute guest if that is alright. I am in Calgary until the 5th for sure but possibly the 6th. It all hinges on the weather. I'll try to let you know as soon as possible. If we can find a sitter, there will be two of us.

Cheers,

Al

kuatto
11-09-2003, 03:00 AM
O.K.,12 and counting :multi: :popcorn: :drinking:

Quinn
11-09-2003, 05:52 AM
Confirming that I will be there. Address? Anyone have any exciting SPS frags? Need GSP frags?

chicki
11-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Count me in! Don't know any of you but it's sounds good! I also know a few people that would like to join in as well. We were talking the other day and thought that it might be kinda neat to meet once a month or so at someone's house (different one everytime) then we could all go for a bite to eat or something. That way over the course of the year we'd be able to get around to everyone's tank? I live by calgary trail just south of the city (ellerslie) and can host. Maybe we could make a list of all those that can host and all those that can't but want to join in? We could have it on the same day every month (easy to remember) and same time??
I don't know...what do you all think?
Lynn

kuatto
11-09-2003, 04:28 PM
Quinn
check the first page of the post,address is there :biggrin:

Chicki
You made the list :mrgreen: ,welcome to bring a friend or two

Lets see,thats:
-Quinn
-Littleboyblue+guest
-Bev+Chris
-Trever
-Keith
-Mario+Darlene
-Mpishi
-Al+Spouse
-Chicki+Guest(or 2 :razz: )

14+ People so far :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol:

Quinn
11-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Oops, nice.

Any Central Albertans care to car pool? Meet somewhere along highway 2?

kuatto
11-09-2003, 06:13 PM
I was thinking of have the following food/snacks;

-cheese,crackers,garlic/ham sausage
-veggies and dip
-seafood dip
-wine(if you want to bring other alcholic beverages you can)
-variety of finger foods
-non alcholic beverages
if anyone has any allergies let me know.

I'm planning the food /drinks as if everyone is coming with a guest/spouse
so there should be lots. :biggrin: Lets just hope we have good weather!!

Jim

kuatto
11-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Was thinking I might have to steal a bus from the base if this gets any bigger(with spouses/friends could be 18+ :mrgreen: )I'm sure I'd only get a couple of days in the base prison :mrgreen: maybe i could charge $5 a person to get on the bus(would cover my bail :lol: )

Jim

littleboyblue16
11-10-2003, 01:21 AM
haha, bus idea sounds alright, except the jail part,

i am into trading at the place, but really i have nothing to trade at all haha... alright :) i can't wait! i am going to take it off work so they know, btw, if anyone really cares i am doing the ordering for my store now for saltwater fish, if you want a fish i can order it in, if we can get it, but ya, i work at petcetera north :P on 137ave :P

Stretch
11-10-2003, 01:30 AM
Well you can put me down on the list.

Will anyone have any SPS frags for trade/sale, I don't have any myself but i'm looking for some.

Teevee

Since I'll be going, I guess we could carpool, But i'd wanna go early and make stops at the LFS in edmonton see what they might have. I need a few things

kuatto
11-10-2003, 01:51 AM
Littleboyblue
your store is just around the corner from me,will have to stop by the store to say hi.

Jesse
See ya at the party!are you bringing a friend/spouse?

....and the mob gets bigger.....where will it stop! :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: :smilecol: .........

hehe..and to think this all started with"honey,it's just gonna be a few people" :mrgreen: oh well as I always say"go big or stay home" :cool:

Jim

Stretch
11-10-2003, 02:00 AM
No I Will only be mme :frown: :razz:

littleboyblue16
11-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Kuatto i work tomorrow 8 am too 4:30pm so ask for Matt (thats me) and come say hi
we don't have any good saltwater fish in, well a few
Picoso trigger, blue tang, 3 stripe damsel, and a maroon clown, and a lion fish

:P i could try to give you some deals too haha

chicki
11-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Matt, maybe you can find out forsure...but I asked the manager at petcetra on the southside if they buy cyanide caught fish and her reply was that she certainly couldn't garantee that they weren't?? No one around here that is knowledgable buys from petcetra for that reason.

Trevor Robertson
11-10-2003, 10:39 PM
wow this sounds like it will be a good time.

I am looking forward to putting some faces to your names.

I don't have anything to frag right now but am more then willing to shovel some cash your way if you have some little guys for me.

Well I am keeping the day open.

See you then

kuatto
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
Well I'm hoping that everyone will at least enjoy the food and company,because the tanks are kinda blah.The only"reef"tank is my 44corner tank(still needs work)always looking for soft corals.Hey!maybe i can pick peoples brains for ideas on my big tank :razz:

Jim

littleboyblue16
11-11-2003, 12:23 AM
chicki
i know the answer

littleboyblue16
11-11-2003, 12:28 AM
sorry pressed the wrong button haha

they are all net caught, petcetera does not belive in that, and we do not deal with anyone that does that kinda thing, they are all net caught :) if you need more proof, i can find the number to head office and they can answer any qestions :)

Quinn
11-11-2003, 12:36 AM
:rolleyes: Not sure if I'd trust a store like that. No offense but between the staff and the marketing strategy...

Beverly
11-11-2003, 02:26 AM
Was recently speaking with a fellow who, only a short time ago, used to be a fish importer. He was telling me that the education process of net catching fish is an on-going process and that cyanide is still being used to catch fish, even by so-called reputable wholesalers.

It's much easier to cyanide catch fish and stun them than it is to set up a large net system and have the fishermen poke the section of fish-bearing reef with sticks and other prods then scoop up fish with all their wits about them in the net. As a result, according to my source, even in the best lfs cyanide caught fish may still comprise part of their stock, unfortunately.

littleboyblue16
11-11-2003, 02:41 AM
believe what you wanna believe, i am not making you shop their

Trevor Robertson
11-11-2003, 03:51 PM
Lets try to keep this thread about the meeting and not LFS's or anything else, if you want to talk about those other things that have been beeten to death in this and other boads please start a new thread.

Quinn
11-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Jesse, no problem, I'd like to stop by Big Al's, AI, etc. as well.

The debate over LFSs can wait until the meeting. Then we can settle our differences with a good ol' fashioned snowball fight. :mrgreen: One thing I will say though is that I buy from a store based on more than just whether they sell cyanide-caught fish (knowleadgability/attitude of staff, upkeep of tanks, selection)...

littleboyblue16
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
;)

AI Man
11-11-2003, 09:27 PM
Am I welcome Kuatto?
I'd like to show up.
I would be willing to bring some goodies for trade.
Not that I'm trying to bribe the group or anything. I thought I'd ask.
Some people see the stores as the "enemy" sort of. Just don't forget that I am a hobbyist first and I decided to pursue my hobby as a career. I'm just wondering if there will be room to trade as it appears it will have the atmosphere of a Tokyo subway!

kuatto
11-11-2003, 09:45 PM
Took ya long enough to ask :razz: you are more than welcome to show.As far as enough room,well the house is just under 2300 sq ft 5 bedrooms,3 baths,2 livingrooms and a den/sittin room,so I'm thinkin I should be o.k. for space :biggrin:
I guess evryone should bring some bags or buckets if there's tradin to be done.The onlything i got is some greenstripe shrooms and greenstar polyps i might be able to trade.

Jim

ps; nothin wrong with a good bribe :mrgreen:

Quinn
11-11-2003, 10:40 PM
Forgot to mention, I have some brown M. digitata frags to trade or sell.

AI Man
11-11-2003, 11:39 PM
oooh brown sticks!!!!!!! :cool:
Are those rare?

JK!!!! :biggrin:

Sorry I had to tease you Quinn

kuatto
11-11-2003, 11:45 PM
I'm lookin for stuff i can keep under Normal flur/actinic.

Jim

Trevor Robertson
11-12-2003, 01:11 AM
I'm lookin for stuff i can keep under Normal flur/actinic.

Jim

Same thing here and I am willing to trade cold hard cash for them as well. Also I don't mind small guys as I love to see them grow in my tank!

Can't wait for the meeting really looking forward to it

littleboyblue16
11-12-2003, 02:34 AM
we should all post are pictures now, so we all know when we get their, who the heck everyone is, haha

Quinn
11-12-2003, 02:48 AM
Here's me...

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/melittle.jpg

kuatto
11-12-2003, 02:51 AM
The host:(thats me :mrgreen: )

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/715man_behind_the_name-thumb.jpg

littleboyblue16
11-12-2003, 06:12 AM
i uploaded my picture to the gallery :P so their

Beverly
11-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Quinn,

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

kuatto
11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
I always pictured you as being older :razz:

I guess theres no alcohol for Quinn :razz:

chicki
11-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Gosh I just realized that I'm going to have to miss this get together, as we're leaving that Friday morning for Oklahoma.
Is it still set for the 6th?
Anyways, I'll try for the next one

kuatto
11-21-2003, 03:32 PM
yes its still the 6th of Dec.
Do you really want to go?it will be too hot,get all sunburned! :razz:
oh well,no problem,see ya on the next one :mrgreen:

Jim

Trevor Robertson
11-21-2003, 04:10 PM
just to confirm we are meeting at 6:00PM right?

kuatto
11-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Could we make for 7ish? just so i can feed the rugrats :razz:
I do have some thick poly bags for anyone doing swapping of frags(about 12-13 bags)
I called my boss thinking i had a parade practise Sat night for medals/accomondations from Afghanistan,but its not untill Sunday night,so Sat is definatly still on :biggrin:
Jim

Trevor Robertson
11-21-2003, 05:27 PM
7:00 is fine (and better) for me too.

So lets do it.

See you then

Beverly
11-21-2003, 05:48 PM
7 pm on Sat, Dec 6 is good for Chris and I :smile:

Quinn
11-21-2003, 06:19 PM
I could also make small frags of purple tip brown M. digitata as well if anyone wants some...

Bev, are you interested in fragging any of your corals, perhaps your Pectinia sp.? :razz:

AI Man
11-21-2003, 07:57 PM
False alarm, guys we have our staff party that day and I don't think I'll be able to make it.

I'm going to miss your brown fuzzy sticks Quinn :cry:

Anyways sign me up for the next one. I will bring a goodie bag.

Thanks anyways Kuatto

Quinn
11-21-2003, 08:07 PM
Aww shucks man, and I fragged a bunch just for you. :cry:

AI Man
11-21-2003, 08:15 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Beverly
11-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Bev, are you interested in fragging any of your corals, perhaps your Pectinia sp.? :razz:

My ocellaris clowns would KILL me if I did that :eek:

I don't need any frags, and won't be bringing any.

kuatto
11-21-2003, 09:42 PM
:eek: What'd mean you don't need any frags!?There's always room for more frags. :razz: :mrgreen:

Jim

Beverly
11-22-2003, 12:45 AM
Jim, my tanks are full of corals, but none that I want to frag at the moment. The 42g reef is stuffed to the brim. The 72g reef has a number of relatively new softies and they're bound to outgrow the tank with the PCs on them. The 28 gal seahorse tank doesn't have any corals at all. Man, where am I going to put anything :eek:

I might bring some red macroalgae and some sort of caulerpa that I don't know the names of. The red MA is sort of like sargassum and is beautiful and slippery feeling. The caulerpa is from my SH tank and grows well, sort of in mounds, and is easy to control.

Here's my 72:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/72gal-redo-tank-nov14-1.jpg

Here's my 42 with the red MA:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/42gal-13.jpg

And here's my 28 SH tank with the caulerpa:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-tank-6.jpg

Anybody want any of this MA?

kuatto
11-22-2003, 01:13 AM
see what you mean,wish i had that problem :frown:
I'll take some macro-algae if you remember.Very nice looking tanks.
See ya at the pary! :cool:

Beverly
11-22-2003, 01:16 AM
Got some for you, Jim :smile: Who else wants some MA?

littleboyblue16
11-22-2003, 01:34 AM
ok its the 7th now, -makes mental note-

Beverly, do you breed sea horses, i wanted to get into doing that, or just having them, are they as hard to take care of as they say?

Beverly
11-22-2003, 01:49 AM
No, it's Dec 6 at 7 pm :smile:

SHs breed when they want to. Difficult to rear the fry, horses not hard to keep, but not in a reef. SHs must be captive bred to do well, not bought from the lfs where they are generally wild caught and won't eat anything but live food, and VERY hard to get them eating frozen. Cannot be kept in a refugium, no matter how many pods in there, because they have big appetites and will eat all the pods in no time.

I'll talk to you more at the party, on the 6th, about them if you want.

kuatto
11-22-2003, 02:49 AM
:eek: if you guys show up on the 7th,you'll be having a party without me because i'll be at military parade practice.Remember...Dec 06(sat) at 7:00 PM. :mrgreen:

Quinn
11-22-2003, 02:58 AM
Bev I wouldn't mind some macroalgae, as long as it's not grape or razor caulerpa, or halimeda. That red stuff you have is nice...

littleboyblue16
11-22-2003, 03:32 AM
ok 6th at 7 got that haha, gosh haha

beverly, i think they are great, i was just going to put them if a Fish only tank if i did get them, we have a seahorse at work now, that eats frozen brine, and hes VERY pretty, i want him haha i know you have to have that special tank so they can grab on to stuff, which is easy to do :)
but we will talk more :) at the party

Beverly
11-22-2003, 12:50 PM
we have a seahorse at work now, that eats frozen brine,

BS have he nutritional value of cardboard and is not a good long term food for a SH :frown: Hikari mysis are better for him, available widely. PE mysis is even better because it is high in HUFA fats. You can get PE mysis from J&L and I've seen it at Big Al's.

Here's my SH website for more info:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-bw-28gal-whitei.htm

Also, there's a great board dedicated to everything about SHs. Lots of articles, diversified forums on feeding, propagation, and related topices:

http://www.seahorse.org/

Beverly
11-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Quinn,

I just realized, that even if I catch the crab in the 72, you can't have him. That's the tank that has the un-IDed bugs and I wouldn't want to pass along something that may come with the crab that may harm your tank.

ABreefkpr
11-23-2003, 04:43 PM
Got some for you, Jim :smile: Who else wants some MA?
Hey Beverly if you have some extra MA, I sure would like some.
I will try to frag some of my mushrooms for the rest of the group. I have some orange, red, blue, green, brown with irridesent green spots and the ricordia. Oh and I have one bright irridesent green rhodactis. There won't be time for them to attach to anything but I will bring them anyway. That is if anybody wants some. :smile:

Keith

Beverly
11-23-2003, 04:56 PM
Keith,

I will bring as much MA as I can spare from my two healthy tanks and you all can divide any way that you like.

kuatto
11-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Keith,whats this rhodactis and how easy is it to take care of?

littleboyblue16
11-24-2003, 03:36 AM
hey beverly, we carry that stuff at work the stuff your talking about, see if he eats it :)

and thanks for the information

Quinn
11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
So no one is bringing any SPS frags? :frown:

Buccaneer
11-24-2003, 05:31 AM
So no one is bringing any SPS frags? :frown:

You are ! ... brown fuzzy sticks remember ? LOL

Gotta come to Calgary for those fuzzy sticks Quinn :cool:

Cheers

Quinn
11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Yeah I can't understand it. Edmontonians must not like SPS or something. No one is bringing any, and at the same time they don't want any of mine! Come on people, they're not that bad. M. digitata is a good starter SPS, grows fast. Two types, brown on brown and purple on brown.

kuatto
11-24-2003, 10:28 PM
I'd love to have some,just don't think they'd do well under no + actinic bulbs?I haven't got mh lighting yet.Looking at diy,found 250watt mh ballast kit for $60,just gotta go get it and buy a bulb.

Jim

Quinn
11-24-2003, 10:30 PM
Yeah, probably wouldn't last long under that. I'll still have them when you're ready though.

Trevor Robertson
11-24-2003, 10:37 PM
and I am in the same situation as Jim. I do hope that there are some good DIY guys (and gals) there as I would love to co work on a few things...eg. lights and a skimmer.

Well see ya all at the meeting (ouch that sounded very country of me and I am not that).

well bye

kuatto
11-24-2003, 10:43 PM
O.k. will let you know.
I'm trying(actually begging :mrgreen: )to buy everything i need before the end of the month,but Peoples jewlers called and said my watch was ready,so I'm trying to convince my lovely,understanding wife :biggrin: the watch can wait untill next month($90 )

Jim

Quinn
11-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Clinton (Cheapreef) has made a few skimmers and I believe CA reactors, although he hasn't been online a lot recently. Trevor I thought you and him were buddies for some reason?

Speaking of people who haven't posted recently, I wonder where Ceasar and Tahir went? Tahir was setting up an interesting biotope and Ceasar had some SPS that I would love to get frags of. :razz:

littleboyblue16
11-25-2003, 12:03 AM
what are these brown fuzzy sticks they sound neat haha

Trevor Robertson
11-25-2003, 01:12 AM
Nope I don't really know anyone on this board, I have met Beverly twice and I have met CheepReef once, (I got a few frags from him) but that is all.

Quinn
11-25-2003, 01:18 AM
Littleboyblue16, they're Montipora digitata frags, a type of hard coral. You'll need power compacts, VHO fluorescents or metal halides to keep them happy. It wouldn't hurt to have a fairly well established tank, but as far as SPS go these are supposedly one of the easiest.

littleboyblue16
11-25-2003, 02:04 AM
oh okies thanks teevee not so lost now haha.

kuatto
11-25-2003, 02:11 AM
Just so everyone is up-to -date,below is an updated list of who's slated to show;
-Quinn
-Matt(littleboyblue) + guest
-Beverly + Chris
-Trever
-Keith +Victor+Jackie
-Mario+Darlene
-Mpishi(sorry,don't know your name :redface: )
-Al
-Jesse

If I missed anyone,please let me know.I will have mushrooms,a ricordia(since it split in two :mrgreen: ),and some greenstar polyps if anyone is interested in trading.hoping they will be attatched before the meet :frown:

Jim :biggrin:

littleboyblue16
11-25-2003, 02:13 AM
kuatto don't forget the people that want to bring friends, or partners :)

Trevor Robertson
11-25-2003, 03:07 PM
Jim, just so that you know it is Trevor not Trever.

Thanks

kuatto
11-25-2003, 03:25 PM
Oops :redface:
Free shrooms for you :biggrin:

Jim

Trevor Robertson
11-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Yippi...nothing better then a free frag!! :lol: :lol: :biggrin: :biggrin: :mrgreen: :smile: :razz:

Bob I
11-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Littleboyblue16, they're Montipora digitata frags, a type of hard coral. You'll need power compacts, VHO fluorescents or metal halides to keep them happy. It wouldn't hurt to have a fairly well established tank, but as far as SPS go these are supposedly one of the easiest.

I grow that stuff under PC's with no addition of Calcium, no RO/DI, no sump, no skimmer, and it does very well. :eek:

littleboyblue16
11-25-2003, 05:17 PM
what do these things look like? are they nice looking?

Quinn
11-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Bob, I know you keep them under PCs. Hence why I said "you'll need power compacts...". :razz:

Littleboyblue, mine looks exactly like this, except the polyps on mine are a darker brown:

http://www.shawnbennett.com/images/MDigitataTop.JPG

littleboyblue16
11-26-2003, 01:04 AM
oh their pretty, i like them haha,

kuatto
11-26-2003, 01:27 AM
Does anyone that is coming to the meet know how to wire up a mh ballast ,because I was given a m58 ballast with a capacitor(I made a new friend today who just happens to be an electrician :biggrin: )
also what do i need to complete the setup?would it be cheaper to use a pendant fixture or buy the aluminum sheeting to make a reflector?He asked if i needed bulbs(250watt)but i didn't know if they'd be the same as the ones sold for reefs?If i know what i need,i can have it ready for the meet.thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Jim

Quinn
11-26-2003, 01:35 AM
You'd need a mogul (socket), the wires (I expect these came with the ballast; ground, positive, and negative I believe), and if you're not buying a reflector, you'll need a mount for the mogul (these came with my reflectors). If you get that scraped together I'm sure there will be enough of us there to figure it out. I did my own wiring, as did Jesse and Bev as far as I know, and probably others. The bulbs your friend offered you are probably very low Kelvin and as such will be rather yellow. If you're not supplementing with actinics I think most here would agree to go with a 10k bulb. You could order one of these from Venki. If you're not doing a pendant you will need to have a canopy you can mount your lighting setup in. On that note, Tony had a halide bulb in some type of galvanized pan that looked like it was meant for baking bread or something - it served as a pendant over an anemone tank quite well for him.

sleeman
11-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Jim,
I am in the middle of this as well. It is actually the project I am completeing in my hotel room when I am not working. I am sure CSIS is going to be knocking on my door any time know. The cleaning ladies are sure I am building some type of nuclear weapon. Anyways, here is what I am doing. I am mounting the ballast and capacitor in an 8'*8' Ipex (grey plastic electrical box - 25 Bucks). To do this I am gluing pieces of hockey puck to the inside of the box and screwing into it to mount the ballast. This will hopefully cut down on vibration a bit. My only concern is the heat dissipation as it will be sealed. I bought two 16 gauge 5 meter electrical cords with good ends. The male end with 6' of cord to go t0 the timer, and 7 feet from the ballast to the socket. I am going to make the mounts for the sockets. Basically a U with some holes drilled in it for wires and mounting screws. I just got a call about MIRO4 reflective aluminium 96 % bla bla bla, and a sheet is 177 bucks. Minimum purchase is 4 x 4, so I will have an extra 2 x 4 if you want. Come on over and we can make the mounts and reflectors at the same time. My plan is to use the 10k bulbs alone and see how it looks; I will make the reflector big enough to house either a couple pc's or 2 NO bulbs.
Here is the price breakdown for 2 250W MH 10k Setup
Bulbs - 112, ballasts and sockets - 60, boxes - 50, reflector and mounts - 50, Wire marrettes etc - 50 total =322 bucks for 500watts.
I am trying to get up to Edmonton either Friday eve or sat for a night. If I do, I will try to post some pics on the DIY page. I can also bring a setup to your place next week, so everyone can see it if you/they want.

Cheers,

Al

kuatto
11-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Anyone in Edmonton have a spare 250w 10k mogul style bulb they want to sell?,if not then i'll order from Venki, or know of a lighting place in Edmonton i can get 10k bulbs?

Jim

Beverly
11-26-2003, 05:17 PM
Jim,

Chris just picked up some GE 55w PC tubes from Commercial Lighting. A 6 pack was $130.32, or $21.72 per tube, a much better price than any lfs :cool: Don't know if they can get you the bulb you want, but we have special ordered all kinds of lighting from them over the years.

5919 - 98 Street
468-0999

Chris always does the ordering. It seems they will order stuff if you go in person and have a part number. For instance, the tubes we ordered were GE F55BX/AR/FS.

Commercial Lighting also has stores in Winnipeg, Calgary, Victoria, with head office in Delta BC.

kuatto
11-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks Bev,will give them a call

kuatto
11-26-2003, 05:34 PM
Well,that didn't work.rating was too low,didn't have 10k.Back to the drawing board.

Quinn
11-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Doesn't AI carry bulbs? Also, there is some kid at Pisces trying to start a DIY MH business, you might try to reach him and see if he can get you a deal. I doubt he will come close to Venki's prices though.

ABreefkpr
11-26-2003, 06:52 PM
Hey Quinn. I wouldn't mind a fuzzy brown stick if you could spare one. I bet Victor would like one too. Neither of us have any SPS of any size to trade though. As I said earlier I will try to bring lots of mushrooms.
Oh and Jim a rhodactis is just another type of mushroom.

Keith

kuatto
11-26-2003, 07:25 PM
Decided to go with Venki(should've done that in the first place :biggrin: )
Anyone in Edmonton want in on the order?save on shipping.I just need one bulb.

littleboyblue16
11-26-2003, 11:32 PM
*sings* oh thos brown fuzzy stick *sings*

haha ok done their, hmmm so confused, but i am alright :)

reef monkey
11-28-2003, 12:28 AM
I would be interested as I have been into saltwater for a couple of years now and would like to meet people with a common interest I do not have any frags as I only have a fish only tank but am ready to start reefing and could certainly use any help you can offer I currently have a 135 gal reef ready tank with 120 lbs of sand and 100 lbs of live rock 12 or so snails and crabs long tentacle anenome 3 perculas 1 regal tang 2 six line wrasse 1 foxface 1 snowflake eel 1 coral beauty 1 male and 1 female square back anthias 1 three stripe damsel 1 orange spotted gobi and a few polyps that hitch hiked on some live rock I am putting the finnishing touches on a new canopy that will one day hold metal halides but for now I will be installing 4 165 watt vho 2- 50/50 2- actinic was told that it would be more than enough to start corrals if that is true I will need a lot of help learning how to care for them :question:

Quinn
11-28-2003, 01:38 AM
Hey Reef Monkey, sounds like you're on the right track. How are the three A. percula working out for you? I've heard of people doing large groups of them but never just three. Is one the dominant female, another the dominant male, and the last one a juvenile? Do your two sixline wrasses get along?

I do believe your VHOs would be fine for M. digitata, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. I can certainly bring you some frags.

kuatto
11-28-2003, 01:50 AM
Welcome :mrgreen:
Should I put you down for 7pm dec 06?I'm sure there'll be a few frags available.and you get to see a few of us electricute ourselfs with a diy metal halide setup :mrgreen: should be good for a laugh or two.

Jim

reef monkey
11-28-2003, 02:28 AM
you can most definatly put me down I have been in the wrong forums finaly some one closer to home
the two six line wrasses get along just fine they were in the same tank at AI and I couldn't bare to break them up
as for the perculas they are exactly as oyou described them you sure know your stuff :cool:

Quinn
11-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Nice. Why don't you tell us a bit about your equipment, ie. protein skimmer, sump if you have one, etc. Also what are your levels like? pH, NH3, NO2, NO3, daily temp fluctuations, and do you happen to know what your CA levels are at?

Bob I
11-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Quinn, many years ago I had three ocellaris Clowns. That was when I lived in Vancouver. Two were dominant male and female because they spawned. We never knew what the third one was. It just hung around with the other two. They never hurt it or anything. :biggrin:

reef monkey
11-28-2003, 03:24 AM
don't know where to start I have gone threw so much already
tank is 135 gal reef ready
sump is a 50 gal with bio-balls and baffles
I have 2 hagen 802 power heads in the tank for current
precision marine ES100 protien skimmer fed by a sedra 5000(500gph pump)
sump return is powered by a Mag-Drive 1800 gph
lighting is 2 50/50 165watt VHO's & 2 actinic 165watt VHO's each set is powered by Hamilton Technology ballasts.1-40 watt party blue incandescent light for moonlight :mrgreen:

my lvels at the last test are:
ph=8.2
no2=0.1
no3=5
Ca= 400
PO4=0.25
NH3=0.2
O2=6.5mg/l
SG=1.023
temp 79.5 f ( a little warm but hoping the new canopy will solve the problem)

Quinn
11-28-2003, 03:27 AM
I understand that's fairly normal behaviour in the wild, apparently there are often more than one of the juveniles or eunuchs or whatever. It would be neat to have a pair of black A. ocellaris along with a few juves in one tank, maybe with a nice blue carpet or something...

reef monkey
11-29-2003, 06:54 PM
I have uploaded some photos of my system today and I finaly finished the canopy will have to monitor temp. fluctuations closely to see how well it is working may need to add fans to help it cool let me know what you think

reef monkey
11-29-2003, 06:57 PM
uploaded to to the member gallery

kuatto
11-29-2003, 07:10 PM
nice job,got to love diy :biggrin:

reef monkey
11-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Is the meeting still on for Dec 6 @ 7:00 pm if so I will need directions and anyone still bringing frags?I would be interested in any frags for sale or trade not sure what I have to trade but we could probably work that out at the meeting

kuatto
11-29-2003, 08:05 PM
1215 Klarvatten Court Edm

if you head north on 97st(towards the base)
-make a right onto 167ave(the lights by Boston Pizza)
-follow 167(east)
-go past the Macks store untill you hit 82st(set of lights)and turn left
-follow 82st and you'll take the first left(173ave?,will have flags and show home signs)
-travel(2 blocks)and turn left onto klarvatten road(you'll see show homes on the corner)
-then turn left onto klarvatten court(my road)
-house #1215,tan with green trim on the right(have 2 minivans in the driveway,tan mazda & green ford ) alot easier than it sounds :biggrin:

if you get lost call me 457-1247

i foreget who's bringing frags(give me a reminder again folks :biggrin: )but there are going to be a few
cheers
Jim

Beverly
11-29-2003, 11:43 PM
Jim, thanks for the directions :smile:

I will be bringing two species of cool macroalgae. Anybody wanting some please bring a container to take the MA home in.

bulletsworld
12-02-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi there, hope I am not to late. Is it o.k that me & maybe a friend come? I'm excited!
I just got refered to this forum by Bev, thanks Bev. I was on a states forum before. Didnt even know about this forum from Edmonton. Think its great to get to know people in the same hobby, so close to home. Count me in!

Leeanne

Beverly
12-02-2003, 11:57 AM
Reposting this from the Calgary thread:

About the MA that I was going to bring:

The red stuff will not go cling onto your live rock like caulerpa will. It needs to be secured well in the sandbed or elasticked to a small piece of LR. It is very slippery and if it roots at all in the sand, it will take a very long time.

The green matt-forming green caulerpa-type of MA comes with baby cerith snails and sometimes brown flatworms. Please let me know if any of you still want me to bring some green MA. If no one is willing to take the chance on adding flatworms to their tanks I won't bring any, but please let me know.

bulletsworld
12-02-2003, 07:04 PM
Sure I will take some MA off your hands Bev, that would be awesome!
Only thing is I would love to trade frags with everyone but my fish are going to be going in a QT this week so dont want to give anyone anything (ich). :frown:

Sorry i just realized I owe my thank you as well to teevee/Qwin which seen me on RC and gave me this invite and this forum for Edmonton. Thank you Qwin. Hope to meet you at the meeting.

So everyone, Can I come! Can I come! :biggrin: Also if so, can I bring a guest? Is it to crowded aleady? I'd be sad but would understand.

Leeanne

Delphinus
12-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Bev if I make it up to Edmonton I'd like a piece too of one of the red ones(small piece is OK). But I am not yet sure if I'm able to come up this weekend. If I do end up going I'll PM you and we can discuss trade terms. At this point though I'm pretty sure I can't come up. We'll see... :sad:

Beverly
12-02-2003, 10:28 PM
Tony,

I'm giving away the MA, so don't be concerned about trading anything for it. That is, unless you have some cleanup crew brittle stars you might have laying around doing nothing :smile:

kuatto
12-02-2003, 11:17 PM
Hi Leeanne,welcome to the club :biggrin:
you are invited to join us on the 6th Dec(Saturday)at 7pm,you'll find detailed directions on the previous page.If i figured right,then we should have 19 people(20 if Tony shows,hint,hint :mrgreen: )If you can't find your way you can give me a call.
457-1247

Jim

littleboyblue16
12-02-2003, 11:35 PM
i donno if i can make it or not, darn work!

Quinn
12-03-2003, 02:08 AM
Ah mate you had a whole month to book it off! What happened! :razz:

kuatto
12-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Do you guys close 9pm on saturdays?see if you can switch shifts with someone.

Jim

littleboyblue16
12-04-2003, 12:13 AM
wait i never thought of it! i only work till 4:30 itsnt it great haha, confustion there

littleboyblue16
12-04-2003, 12:13 AM
whoa, just looked at the calander and i got it off haha i am so going looopie tonight haha

kuatto
12-04-2003, 12:52 AM
See everything worked out after all :biggrin:
Thats o.k.,I came home tonight and started getting everything ready thinking the meet was tonight!my internal calender has been way off lately.
Menu to include the following;
-mini potstickers
-bite size breaded chicken
-bite size boneless pork
-vegi spring roles
-cheese,sausage and cracker plater
-veggie platter
-shrimp
-various dips
-wine & colas(for non-drinkers)
-and whatever else i can think of before Saturday night

Thank god for M&M's meat shops :mrgreen:

Jim

sbrown
12-04-2003, 03:11 AM
What kind of shrimp are on the menu. Do you know the latin. LMAO :)

How about pepermint shrimp for desert........hahaha

Well I thought it was funny....

littleboyblue16
12-04-2003, 03:35 AM
yeah thanks to mnm meat shops, gotta love their little meatball -drools- haha sorry had a momment

hopefully my friend wants to come still we shall see, he is off that day too haha, yay! sorry had a momment

anyone want a chocolate chip starfish by any chance, i kinda want to keep him, but not really does that make sence?

kuatto
12-04-2003, 03:39 AM
they're just plain ol shrimp,peppermints where too darn exspensive to feed that many people :mrgreen:

Bob I
12-04-2003, 03:50 AM
Tony,

I'm giving away the MA, so don't be concerned about trading anything for it. That is, unless you have some cleanup crew brittle stars you might have laying around doing nothing :smile:

Come to Calgary and I can give you all the mini Brittlestars you could hope to have. The body is about 1/4 inch and the legs are about 1 1/4 inches long with pinkish bands. They live in the LR. When you put food in the tank you see waving arms everywhere. They originally came from Tony's tank. I think everybody in Calgary has some. haha :mrgreen: :eek:

kuatto
12-04-2003, 03:52 AM
I knew I was forgetting something on the menu,sweet n soure meatballs :biggrin:

littleboyblue16
12-04-2003, 05:15 AM
haha told yeah, their awsome my mom buys them all the time haha
but anyone intrested in the starfish?

i need something that eats algea bad, i am having a bad dose of it right now haha

Beverly
12-04-2003, 12:03 PM
Bob,

If you are coming up for Saturday, can you bring a few with you? Pretty, pretty please :smile:

Quinn
12-04-2003, 07:33 PM
LBB, I just don't think you're going to be able to get rid of that thing. Everyone here knows about those things... :sad: See if AI will take it, perhaps. They have sold them in the past I believe.

Bev I do have those mini brittles but I do not think mine are reproducing quickly enough for me to be easily able to dig out any significant numbers. I will check though. By the way, all my macroalgae in my tank crashed so that sargassum project never got anywhere.

littleboyblue16
12-04-2003, 11:39 PM
hey teevee, its worth a try though haha

mario
12-05-2003, 01:20 AM
Darlene and myself will not be able to come this time have to do that work thing. Thats retail for you. Hope to make it to the next meeting

kuatto
12-05-2003, 01:38 AM
:eek: you said the forebidden word,the word that shall not be mentioned :evil:

Quickly,you must do as I say...drink 2 beer and repeat the words"thou shall not work on the sacred saturday"(it's for your own good :biggrin: )do this untill the feeling to work passes.

Jim

kuatto
12-05-2003, 03:36 AM
updated guest list:
-QUINN
-MATT+GUEST
-TREVOR
-KEITH+VICTOR+JACKIE
-MPISHI
-AL
-REEFMONKEY
-JOHN
-LEEANNE+GUEST
-JESSE
-BOB
-BEVERLY+CHRIS
Unfortunatley we had a few that can't make it :cry: (we'll catch them on the next one)
we're still going to have a pretty good crowd. :mrgreen:

Jim

bulletsworld
12-05-2003, 06:52 PM
Hmmm... Is this going to be an adult only get together. The reason I ask is I have to babysit my girlfriends 12 year old daughter tomorrow night while the parents go on their anniversary dinner. This girl is quiet mature. But i really did want to come. Is it o.k if I bring her? If not I will try to make other arrangements.

Hey does anyone need aragonite sand? I have half a bag left that i didnt use. i could chip that in for the trades.

Also does anyone need a ride tomorrow night. If not to far, I would be willing to pick some people up. Let me know.

Thanks
Leeanne :rolleyes:

Trevor Robertson
12-05-2003, 06:59 PM
I don't see a problem with it but I think that this type of thing should be left up to the host of the party.

kuatto
12-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Not a problem Leeanne,you can bring her if you want(there'll be pop and other stuff she can drink)plus I'll have 2 younger ones running around :biggrin:

Jim

bulletsworld
12-05-2003, 10:42 PM
Really, perfect! Thats awesome then. Thank you! Fewww, now I can rest.

I was thinking, OH NO! I HAVE TO MEET OTHERS LIKE ME! I MUST GO!! LOL. My friends and family think I am gone crazy & some how turned into a nerd. "Sorry family & friends i can't come out tonight i have to do a water change", or "I have a nerd meeting sorry", or "I can't stay I have to go and feed my fish". Yeah friends & family think I've lost it. I get so excited when I buy something new or discover something, I have to tell people. I laugh cause I know they are right. LOL. And to think I have only been in the hobbie about 6 months now. Wow, I'm in trouble then hey. haha

Can't wait to meet everyone. See ya tomorrow!

Leeanne

kuatto
12-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Just noticed you can't see the house number unless your infront of the door,because of the 2 vans in the driveway.We're the 4th house in on the right tan with green trim on a corner lot with white chainlink fence.

littleboyblue16
12-06-2003, 12:10 AM
ooo i can't wait i am all excited! haha

kuatto
12-06-2003, 01:24 AM
Oh yea!well I'm excited and nervous :mrgreen:

Quinn
12-06-2003, 01:30 AM
Yup, quite a crowd coming out. Should be good fun. I forgot who wanted frags so I am just bringing a schwack of them and you guys will have to fight over them.

Beverly
12-06-2003, 02:01 AM
Jim,

All will go well :smile: Better clean your tank really well so we can have a good look at it :wink:

kuatto
12-06-2003, 03:44 AM
Well I managed to complete my mh lighting(not the prettiest but it'll do for now)I tested it with a bulb rated at 4200kelvin and what a difference :eek:(I know not 10000k,but its my first time with mh :biggrin: )
At first it wasn't really brite and took a few minutes.I haven't received the 10000k bulbs from Venki yet,but can't wait to see the difference.
Hope my corals do better(especially the gsp).One diy project done,lots more to go :mrgreen:

Jim

Bob I
12-06-2003, 04:48 AM
Well I managed to complete my mh lighting(not the prettiest but it'll do for now)I tested it with a bulb rated at 4200kelvin and what a difference :eek:(I know not 10000k,but its my first time with mh :biggrin: )
At first it wasn't really brite and took a few minutes.I haven't received the 10000k bulbs from Venki yet,but can't wait to see the difference.
Hope my corals do better(especially the gsp).One diy project done,lots more to go :mrgreen:

Jim

Good grief Jim, you don't need MH for GSP's Usually you have to mow those to keep them in check. :biggrin: :biggrin:

littleboyblue16
12-06-2003, 05:37 AM
YAY!, i donno, i have nothing to trade except a starfish, thats lonly haha whats a good fish, or something to eat algea?

AI Man
12-06-2003, 07:02 AM
:arrow: Got lots of frags for anyone that wants to stop by and say hello before the meet. :exclaim:

Hey Zulu I finally put new lighting over the frag tank last week, switched from 4- 165W VHO(660W Total)
to 2-250W 14K Halides and 2-165W VHO's (830W Total).
It's only 130W difference but wow! My brown sticks are turning green and blue!

To teevee and everyone else that stops by, introduce yourself and say hello.
Maybe I'll get to go next time :rolleyes: . Happy Meeting :biggrin:

James

kuatto
12-06-2003, 06:06 PM
O.k. this is driving me crazy.Turned my Mh light on this morning and found it started to smell and get really hot,well after a few calls was told its starting to burn out!I give up!Back to my other lights :frown:
Was hoping to have it setup for tonights meet(the tank never looked better under that kind of lighting),oh well
see you all tonight.

Jim

DukeB
12-06-2003, 08:18 PM
I was waiting until the last minute to reply....
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend this time around, work just won't leave me alone :frown: December is pretty much a no go for me.

Trevor Robertson
12-06-2003, 08:37 PM
dropping like flies now, oh well it will still be a great time, see you all soon.

kuatto
12-06-2003, 08:40 PM
I guess we'll see you at the next one,we'll be here if things change :biggrin:

Jim

don't worry Trevor,we still have over a dozen people that are showing :mrgreen:

reef monkey
12-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I am still going to ba able to make it
can't wait should be a lot of fun

kuatto
12-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Tic...tock..tic..3.5 hours to go :multi: :multi:
I love parties :mrgreen:

Jim

Trevor Robertson
12-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Well I just looked out side and I hope that any frags that I take home don't freeze on the way to the car, I knew I should have got that car starter for the fish! :biggrin:

2.5 hours to go...Tick Tock

See you soon...(why to I kinda feel like I am bidding on eBay?)

littleboyblue16
12-06-2003, 11:40 PM
i am going to bring my starfish, if anyone wants him good, if anyone dont oh well haha, alright see ya there!

EmilyB
12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
i am going to bring my starfish, if anyone wants him good, if anyone dont oh well haha, alright see ya there!

If Quinn will grab him and keep him until he comes to Calgary, I'll take him for $5 :mrgreen:

littleboyblue16
12-07-2003, 03:53 AM
hey guys that was great :P

Emily B. to late Leanne got him sorry :P

and thanks Bev for the woulderful mirco algea gotta love it

and thanks for everything guys :)

ABreefkpr
12-07-2003, 03:58 AM
Sorry I missed you all. With the weather I wanted to head back to D.V. before the roads froze solid. As it was there were quite a few cars in the ditch. Nothing to major but the roads sure were slick.
Hope everybody had a good time.

Keith

littleboyblue16
12-07-2003, 04:16 AM
its ok, i think thats more importaint then a meeting, but theirs always next month haha

kuatto
12-07-2003, 05:35 AM
I would like to thank everyone for coming,i think it went very well,can't wait for the next one :mrgreen:

Beverly
12-07-2003, 01:10 PM
A great time was had by all :cool: Thanks, Jim, for hosting the get together.

Quinn IDed the red macroalgae as Halymenia sp.

Trevor Robertson
12-07-2003, 06:02 PM
Yes a big thanks goes out to Jim for hosting a great event.

See you all (and more) at the next one!

littleboyblue16
12-08-2003, 01:00 AM
yeah thanks Jim :P

kuatto
12-08-2003, 02:35 AM
:cool: "please no pictures...please"

EmilyB
12-08-2003, 03:05 AM
Calgary "always" post pictures....... :mrgreen: :razz:

littleboyblue16
12-08-2003, 04:35 AM
well aint "Calgary" special haha, i should of brought a camra, i was not thinking

EmilyB
12-08-2003, 04:57 AM
http://www.mysmilie.de/smilies/froehlich/img/002.gif

littleboyblue16
12-09-2003, 12:30 AM
:P