PDA

View Full Version : red coris wrasse

Fishgirl
05-30-2010, 12:45 AM
I just got a red coris wrasse just wondering if anyone has ever kept one in a reef tank without any problems. Sorry if this is a double post. I know they eat inverts. and snails and what not and I know they grow large and I do plan on upgrading my tank at some point to a very large tank, the one i have right now is 112gal. 72 x 20 x 18.

Zoaelite
05-30-2010, 07:49 AM
Please take it out of your fish tank if you enjoy your sanity... They are diligent movers of anything that is smaller than a softball when adult size.

Madreefer
05-30-2010, 03:46 PM
Please take it out of your fish tank if you enjoy your sanity... They are diligent movers of anything that is smaller than a softball when adult size.

Good luck trying to catch one. I had one in my aggressive tank. Only way to catch it was in a tank move while scooping out the sand. That was in 2 different moves. Same scenario both times. After having one in a FOWLR I would not keep one in a reef tank.

fishoholic
05-30-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't find red coris's as bad as lunare wrasses, aggression wise. They will eat shrimp, crabs and snails but I've never seen one eat corals or damage them. My friend has 2 6" ones and they've never moved anything around in his tank, but maybe others do, not to sure about that.

I have a juvi red coris in my reef tank, but I only have one large snail and one large hermit crab. I might have some shrimp but since I haven't seen them in almost a year maybe not, however I've thought the shrimp were dead before, and then suddenly I'll see them so who knows.

If you have a juvi or small adult one you should be fine with a 112g for a few years before you'd need to upgrade. As Madreefer said they are extremely hard to catch (as most wrasses are) and you pretty much have to take out all the rock and sift through the entire sand bed in order to find them.

WuHT
05-30-2010, 09:01 PM
When you say eat shrimp .. which size shrimp are we talking about ?

Are the regular skunk/blood cleaners safe?

fishoholic
06-01-2010, 04:54 PM
When you say eat shrimp .. which size shrimp are we talking about ?

Are the regular skunk/blood cleaners safe?

IMO no shrimp is safe. They may leave the shrimp alone for a long time but usually sooner or later the shrimp make a nice snack for the wrasse.

Fishgirl
06-05-2010, 02:07 AM
thanks everyone for your imput:) my boyfriend got this fish for me cause I had mentioned they were beautiful and I liked them. BUT forgot to mention that they are not really an easy fish to have, but however I have him now so we'll see what happens he beautiful to watch.

Madreefer
06-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Watching the color change as it turns in to an adult is cool. I liked the adult colors more.

Fishgirl
06-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Yeah mine is adult color now, he/she is gorgeous.

viperfish
06-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Before I donated mine to the LFS it cleaned out all of my inverts, it would even grab hermits and shake them out of the shell! LIke everyone else said the are a pain to catch and the larger ones like to aquascape for you.

reef_to_reef
06-10-2010, 02:36 AM
I had to take my tank apart to catch it the I gave it to the LFS, it cleaned up the CC and fliped every frag,colony and stone it could in the tank.. Just made a mess of everything ! And when ever I would see it, as soon as it saw me it went into the sand, so I didnt even get to enjoy it, just clean up a mess after it..

Marlin65
06-10-2010, 02:54 AM
Saw mine lots but they do love to flip stuff over to find those snacks.