PDA

View Full Version : getting big tank through the window

bkelly
05-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Looks like I am getting a big tank 220 gal - 6'x30 high x24 deep my first challenge aside from moving a fully established system across town is getting it into the basement. The easiest way is through a window - but Id have to put it on its side to fit - so wanted to ask if being on its side is a big risk for cracking the glass dont want a pail of fish waiting for their new relocated home and it breaks - anyone got any experience with this -the tank hs double trim bracing its an All Glass Aquarium. the other option is down a tight stair well leading to the basement door - some tight corners. do those suction holders work well?
thanks brent

Mrfish55
05-29-2010, 06:57 PM
You can lay the tank on its side, just be carefull not to lift by or rest the side on anything, the larger tanks with the thicker glass are actually stronger than you would think, I had to tilt my 300 on its side to get it in as well, had no problems, I personally have never used the suction cups so no advice there, good luck with the move, hope all goes well.

xtreme
05-29-2010, 07:07 PM
I've used this type (http://www.powrgrip.com/cgi-bin/powrgrip/N5450.html?page_class=glass) before and they work awesome. Once you attach them there is no way they are coming off by accident.

Gary
05-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I have used suction cups to install some pretty big tripple glazed glass units with excellent results.

The cups that I have were purchased a Princess Auto. They have three cups about three inches in diameter mounted to a triangular handel. We have used two of these to lift tripple glazed windows about four feet wide x six feet high.

I can't remember the exact load rating but it was fairly high on the tripple cup version.

DiverDude
05-30-2010, 12:56 AM
I would consider placing the tank (on its side) on a piece of plywood. Use stretch wrap to attach the tank to the wood.

Now, if you rest the tank on the window sill (on purpose or by accident) the load is dispersed and it won't crack.

As a bonus, if you make the wood a few inches longer on each end, it gives you something to hold onto (you can never have to many places to hold with a tank that size !).

monocus
05-31-2010, 06:26 AM
i agree with the plywood-but make sure its at least 5/8 thick-i just moved my 220 with a appliance dolly and then a furniture dolly.the only problem i had is that it tipped on the appliance dolly and i wrenched my elbow from stopping it from going all the way(next time i'll get help)once it was on the furniture dolly i could easily wheel it anywhere-again just watch out for tipping