PDA

View Full Version : does red/orange SPS need less light?

josie
05-28-2010, 02:32 PM
many people say that orange or red polyp SPS are doing better in medium lighting...is this true?
what are you thoughts and experiences?

Bloodasp
05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
IME it seems to hold true. I have both green and red birdsnest and when i set both pretty high the green one was doing pretty well, the red one was bleaching out, and when I set it in a lower location it's color returned, thought it was just acclimating so i was bringing it up slowly but every time I set it higher more parts of it would bleach out. Same with the montipora, I have one green and 2 reds, my green one was doing quite well high up close to the light. One of the reds I set high up in the tank, pretty much died in a couple of weeks the one I put close to the substrate is growing quite nicely.

bvlester
05-28-2010, 05:14 PM
you should start them all lower in the tank and gradely move them up. Darker ones like to be around the middle of the tank unless you are in my tank I have a brown polyp with purple tip that likes it as high as it can get. and a green monti cap that likes it lower down. so in general try different locations the coral will let you know where it like s to be and then leave it there.

Bill