PDA

View Full Version : Tank to Sump Plumbing, Return pump, Flow rate

SeaSerpant
05-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Hey All,
It's been a while since i've been on this forum! I'm in need of some help. I have a 120g tank that is getting drill and an overflow installed but i am confused about how to plumb it.
I don't know if they are going to put something in the hole so i can plumb it myself or something else.
So to my questions.

How do i make the hole usable for pvc pipes? (the hole is a standard 1.5")
What kind of return pump i need?

I have a bunch of small pumps and i've heard/read that you need 4-6 rotations in your tank per hour. So i would need 480-720 gph. Is this right?
I have 2 Dive power 200's rating at about 200gph. A koralia nano (260gph) and a koralia 1 (400gph) and then i also would have to add the return pump to that.
So thats about 1290gph (of course there is a variation on the actual put out of the pumps).
Is this good enough?

And would i be able to start my tank without a sump by just plugging up the whole by putting the pvc pipe with the "off" switch on it and plumbing it later. But still add rock, sand and water below the overflow with the light and pumps?

Thanks SO Much
SeaSerpant

Lance
05-28-2010, 01:22 AM
You need to get yourself a bulkhead. The PVC pipe runs from the bulkhead to the sump. As for the rest of your questions we need a little more info: flow rate is based on several things: How big is the sump? what kind of animals are you going to keep in the display? Are you going to have a refugium?

SeaSerpant
05-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Ok the sump is probably going to be a 33g tank with 12" width. I am going to keep a wide variety of fish ;) i'm still deciding on that. It's going to be a softie tank though. I do not plan to have a refugium.
Does the bulkhead have to be siliconed in?

Thanks for the help Lance!!!
SeaSerpant

Lance
05-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Silicone the bulkhead and hand tighten only. Nice and firm without really reefing on it; you don't want to crack the bulkhead or the glass. When you're plumbing the drain line, be sure to put a gate valve on the line so that you can regulate the amount of water coming from the overflow. Also a good idea to plumb unions wherever you may need to remove something at a later time (pump for example) The flow through the sump can be quite slow so a large pump is not needed. Try to match one fairly closely to the overflow drain rate. This is where the gate valves come in. You can regulate the flow exactly. Hope this helps.

Lance
05-28-2010, 01:49 AM
Oh, I forgot to address your question regarding plugging the drain line and adding a sump later. IMO get your sump plumbed and everything finished before you start the tank up. With my first tank I added the sump months after the DT was running and believe me it is much easier to do the complete job from the beginning.
Oh and welcome back young feller! :biggrin:

SeaSerpant
05-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks Lance.
I've been trying to find a sump on sale but i can't seem to find one in my area thats not for sale with the tank or having to wait until the tank is done and i don't want to be spending 300$ on a new one!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Lance
05-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Thanks Lance.
I've been trying to find a sump on sale but i can't seem to find one in my area thats not for sale with the tank or having to wait until the tank is done and i don't want to be spending 300$ on a new one!

Thanks
SeaSerpant

Ok, if that's the situation go ahead and start the tank without the sump. Keep the water level below the overflow and set up your powerheads. Do you have a skimmer?

mark
05-28-2010, 03:22 AM
If noise a concern, think about drilling for 2 bulkheads for your drain then you can set up a Herbie. Might also want to drill your display for a return line, little cleaner and easier for a hood/canopy rather than going over the top.

Surprised $300 for a sump, should be able to get a used aquarium cheap (20g here (http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-20-GALLON-AQUARIUM-W0QQAdIdZ207035713) or 30g here (http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-30-Gallon-Fish-Tank-W0QQAdIdZ207101918)) a few few pieces of glass cut for baffles (~$20) and a bit a silicone and you're done.

Bloodasp
05-28-2010, 03:28 AM
There is a 30 gal that was posted at kijiji edmonton a few mins ago for $40.
http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-accessories-30-galons-fish-tank-W0QQAdIdZ207820227

SeaSerpant
05-28-2010, 05:25 AM
Lance
I do not have a skimmer yet.

Mark
I got it drilled for the overflow but i can't get it drilled for a return line.

Bloodasp
Thanks for the notice!

Thanks Everyone
SeaSerpant