PDA

View Full Version : Owwy!!!

Starry
05-27-2010, 04:25 AM
While placing some corals and doing tank maint. today my upper forarm briefly rested on my branching hammer coral. As my arm moved away It felt as if I was pulling away from something slightly sticky. Didnt hurt then, but it sure does now! Feels like my arm got dipped in boiling water. Forearm has several large welts and a few of what look like pimples. Vinager is helping a little. Lesson learned, WEAR GLOVES! akward or not.

whatcaneyedo
05-27-2010, 06:44 AM
For me its all about the bristle worms. If I touch one of those ugly little guys I get this burnt flesh, paper-cut, mosquito bite feeling in that area for a full day. However I have an allergy to bee stings so I think I'm especially susceptible to these sorts of irritations, stings and venoms.

My favorite are blue nitrile gloves which I buy at Costco $10 for 100. The arm length coralife gloves are alright for protecting against stings too but I find that they develop leaks in no time. Farm supply calving gloves are suppose to be good too but I haven't bought a pair yet so I cant comment.

... If I ever suddenly disappear from canreef its because I accidentally pet my lionfish and didn't make it to the hospital in time.

Rogue951
05-27-2010, 07:15 AM
really? I poke around my hammer coral all the time... nothing happens lol.
maybe I just got thick skin.

tlo
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
be prepared for the most intense itching you have ever experienced for the next 2 weeks. (not that I have any personal experience or anything with euphyillia stings ;) )

gobytron
05-27-2010, 01:41 PM
seems as though some people are more suceptible to them.
I have frequently handled frogs and hammers and have never experienced anything beyond the "slighty sticky" feeling.

soapy
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey Whatcanyoudo have you tried those red mucking gloves from Lee Valley? They hold up pretty well and usually last a couple months before springing leaks.

whatcaneyedo
05-27-2010, 05:25 PM
I found them and no I haven't. http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10264&cat=2,42407,33240 But I'll consider them for my next glove purchase so thanks for the idea.

lockrookie
05-27-2010, 05:40 PM
if i dont wear gloves my perc clowns use me for target practice on one side of the tank the other side of the tank im ok and get exfoliated by my cleaner shrimp

Starry
05-27-2010, 07:51 PM
I can pick the hammer up by my bare hand and be fine. the skin on my upper arm must be alot mose sensitive.

gobytron
05-27-2010, 07:59 PM
so...
where else have you tried touching yourself with your euphyllia?

TheKid
05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
so...
where else have you tried touching yourself with your euphyllia?

Sounds kinky :mrgreen: