PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything wrong with a corner tank?

tony_3a
05-27-2010, 03:06 AM
I have the fluval osaka 260 and i realized it just wont work for a salt water tank. So i called the place i bought it from and they will let me exchange it for another tank, only problem is all they have left is a fluval corner tank 77 gallon. But it is drilled and it will work fine im assuming. I know lighting will be a problem if i want to do reef. Other than that is there anything i should know about corner tanks?

Thanks a lot
Tony

lastlight
05-27-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't see any issue. It's drilled you're laughing. I think it's best lit with a metal halides however I prefer them. You could then supplement with a few shorter t5 wherever they happen to fit.

Ron99
05-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Or an LED array to fit the tank (might have to be custom). You'll save money in the long run, use less energy and have less heat.

lastlight
05-27-2010, 03:56 AM
I was sitting here waiting for you Ron =)

Yep what he said!

Ron99
05-27-2010, 04:01 AM
I was sitting here waiting for you Ron =)

Yep what he said!

Sorry, couldn't resist. My LEDs are working great so far. Corals are colouring up nicely and have seen noticeable growth in the last month. Tank temperature moves about 0.5 degrees F through the day.

lastlight
05-27-2010, 04:04 AM
I definitely don't doubt you.

The only nice LED (Solaris) tank I've seen was at a LFS here in town with all LPS in it and they glowed something fierce. You're talking about REAL LED lights so I'm sure you'll have positive results.

Lance
05-27-2010, 04:12 AM
I've had a 90g corner tank for 2/12 years and I love it. The corner tanks have their pros and cons though.
Pros: They take up less wall space and look great, as well as having nice depth.
Cons: They are a little more difficult to fit a decent sump under and a bit tricky getting light and flow to all areas.
My tank has a 250W MH and 2x39W T5's along with LED moonlighting. I use 2x Korallia 1400's and the return for flow. I wasn't happy with the limited space under the tank for the sump so I put the sump in a different area. Hope this helps.

Lance
05-27-2010, 04:20 AM
Here's an older video of my tank. The tank has changed quite a bit since then but you get an idea of the depth to it. (disregard the silly song and lack of camera skills) :biggrin:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v487/IMAdiktd/reef%20tank/?action=view&current=reeftank.flv

Lance
05-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Oh, I forgot to add: there's a thread on Reef Central called "The Reef Central Corner Club Thread" Lots of pics and info on corner tanks.

fishytime
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
also.....you cant generate a wave in a corner tank....if that makes any difference to you

lastlight
05-27-2010, 04:12 PM
also.....you cant generate a wave in a corner tank....if that makes any difference to you

Sure you can. All you need is one angry Fire Clown and a submerged arm.

tony_3a
05-27-2010, 04:55 PM
thanks so much for all your replies. i just need to find a good place for this tank now!