PDA

View Full Version : A turkey with an RO/DI machine!

robbyville
11-04-2003, 04:59 AM
So being the Dufus that I am, I left my RO/DI machine outside only to freeze and break two chambers!

What's worse is that my reservoire is tapped out, and I have to set up my QT tank for some new arrivals to deal with the aptaisia problem.

I ordered from Jayson, some new chambers but had to set up the QT tank with a mix of tapwater and display tank water. Conditioned the tap water which had a TDS measurement of about 30.

Any thoughts about the suitability of using the QT tank to hold two of my established hardy fish would be appreciated (Flame Hawk, and Bi-colour blennie). I don't want to hurt them but I need them out of the display tank to make room for some peppermint shrimp and a CBB.

Thaks,

Rob

christyf5
11-04-2003, 05:03 AM
I would think that would be ok. I mean mostly the TDS stuff is for algae growth but 30 is pretty minimal anyway. Just don't put the tank outside :razz:

Christy :)

StirCrazy
11-04-2003, 05:07 AM
I think it would be fine for fish..

Steve

Quinn
11-04-2003, 05:09 AM
I should have posted this in your original thread, but what makes you think the blenny will eat the peps? I have never heard of this. I have a bicolour and the only thing he eats is algae on the rocks and Montipora digitata polyps. Doesn't go near my shrimps.

robbyville
11-04-2003, 08:52 PM
Hi Quinn,

Well I would say that my decision was made through "evidence based research", in that I put two small peppermint shrimp in the tank a few weeks ago, within roughly 15 seconds "Shaq" my blennie, swooped in and gobbled one of them up! The poor little guy tried to defend itself but for naught.

I am told that an adult shrimp might fare better but who knows. Also the tank is only a 60 gal so maybe it's just not large enough for the two to co-exist. Lastly, I need to remove a couple of fish anyway if I want to have the CBB in there (Until it outgrows the tank).

thanks also to everyone for the peace of mind. I have just found out though that I might not be able to ship overnight from Jayson due to my location. We shall see!

Rob

robbyville
11-04-2003, 08:55 PM
Christy, you don't think that an outdoor tank would be suitable? I'm thinking of freezing the specimens for a time capsule. Kind of like Jurassic Park, remember how they got the Dinosaur DNA? I have heard that Bi-Colours are on the way to being extinct, maybe some genetic experts a few thousand years from now could use my frozen tank! :biggrin:

christyf5
11-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Christy, you don't think that an outdoor tank would be suitable? I'm thinking of freezing the specimens for a time capsule. Kind of like Jurassic Park, remember how they got the Dinosaur DNA? I have heard that Bi-Colours are on the way to being extinct, maybe some genetic experts a few thousand years from now could use my frozen tank! :biggrin:

Well they would have to be frozen at about -80C in order for the DNA to remain intact. Does it get that cold up there? Is that why everyone in Whistler has those really expensive fancy ski suits to sit at Starbucks? :wink:

Besides, didn't they get the DNA from a mosquito encased in amber in Jurassic Park?? Man that was pathetic. :rolleyes:

robbyville
11-05-2003, 12:24 AM
details, details, details...

christyf5
11-05-2003, 01:30 AM
:mrgreen: