PDA

View Full Version : I get to start over again

toxic111
05-26-2010, 03:45 AM
Well 2 1/2 yrs is down the drain. I arrived back from the lake last night to a complete meltdown of my tank. Lost all of the fish, most of the corals, inverts, etc..

it sucks, but life must move on.

What really sucks is things were finally starting to get good, and I was starting to win the battle against hair algae.

oh well time to start testing and waterchanges for the next 6 weeks to see if I can get it stable again and start over.

I'm not sure what the actual cause of the crash was. Saw some salt stain on the floor, thought a leak tripped the GFI. Though replaced the GFI, dried things out, started plugging things in, the GFI tripped when I plugged in heater. Found heater in 2 pieces. So something caused that, or it just went.

Right now it looks like the only surviours is my red/green brain, one SPS, the GSP & some zoo's. My RBTA may pull through, but I don't have my hopes up. What surprised me is my sand sifting star made it fine.

This is the first weekend I didn't have someone stop in at least once, that will never happen again. I don't know if it would have saved anything, and will never know.

christyf5
05-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Oh man, sorry to hear that. At least some stuff survived, still sucks tho :neutral:

fishoholic
05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
That sucks sorry to hear it.

TheKid
05-26-2010, 04:49 AM
sorry for ur loss:cry::cry:

did u have your aquarium grounded?

muck
05-26-2010, 04:58 AM
Damn... i ehat to see these posts.
Sorry to hear. :sad:

whatcaneyedo
05-26-2010, 05:15 AM
This reaffirms my hatred of heaters. It seems like half of the reported tank crashes I hear about are directly related to a heater. That really sucks. Maybe you can find a good brand of titanium heater to replace the one that exploded/broke? Won bros and aqua-medic are both garbage but someone must make a good one.

naesco
05-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Very sorry. It is truly sad to come home a find one of your fish lying on the sand let alone all of them.
Was it a titanium heater? I went through 2 Won failures and would not think of ever buying a titanium heater again.

TheKid
05-26-2010, 06:07 AM
I have a fluval heater could this happen to me too?

toxic111
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
I put in a Titanium heater now, not sure what brand.

I do have a grounding probe in as well as the GFI plug.

gobytron
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
why not use a stealth heater?

I use them to cook rocks....almost indestructible....

BlueWorldAquatic
05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry for your loss.

I actually replace all the titanium heaters in the store, The failure rate was about 30% from the ones I replaced.

I use Rena's or Marineland Stealths in the store now.

I like the Hydor Inline heaters for home.

Ken

Delphinus
05-26-2010, 05:19 PM
How does a titanium heater fail? Or do you mean the controller fails? I have a Won brothers heater and yeah only got about a year on it before the controller went wonky, but I assumed the titanium tube was still workable so I cut it off, junked the controller and tossed the tube into my salvaged-bits drawer for a day I might try to pigtail it off a Ranco heater controller or other electronic (ie. Profilux or Reefkeeper or whatever) type controller...

Red Coral Aquariums
05-26-2010, 08:26 PM
It is funny as I am slowly (not fast enough in my opinion) changing all my store heaters to titanium. NEVER had a problem with titanium as I use Jalli and Aqua Heat(sunlight supply).
Kevin

JonT
05-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Before you all run out to get stealth heaters, have a look. The new "pro" series seems to have a problem where it explodes (not exagerating) I have seen threads where they are blowing out glass on 200 gallon tanks. Not little cracks, but shards of glass on the floor.....