PDA

View Full Version : Local CITES Experts?

AJ_77
11-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Since RC is blocked at work, I thought I'd ask for some info here. :smile:

Is the latest suspension of trade with Fiji a real concern to suppliers, and therefore to us?

http://www.cites.org/eng/news/sundry/fiji_suspen_renewed2.shtml

Delphinus
11-04-2003, 12:37 AM
Well I'm no CITES expert but I try to follow the issues somewhat because I have done some CITES imports in the past and I find it somewhat interesting (alas, it was not for this hobby but for another one, so no unfortunately I don't have any leads on any cool suppliers overseas!!).

I would assume it will have an impact on us. A lot of our vendors get their stock from Fiji, so if Fiji has lost its CITES export permit, then we will no longer be able to import CITES from there until that is restored.

There are of course other places to import from, so I anticipate that in most likelihood, the overall selection probably won't change much, but the prices might (seeing as the "supply" variable of the "supply/demand" balance has just changed).

Of course, I am not involved in the business so I probably should leave comments to what the real impact will be to the likes of Kyle, James, Wendell, Jayson, Allen, etc. etc.

PS. I do believe that although Walt Smith has a Fijian operation (which would obviously be affected), he does also have operations in other countries so hopefully we won't be starved out of Walt Smith stock. Hmmm, I wonder if Wendell's remaining livestock became suddenly that much more valuable. :question:

EmilyB
11-04-2003, 01:40 AM
Wai's got some awesome Fiji rock in. :eek: I wish I had a couple thousand dollars... I said Wow, no way is that Fiji. Yep he said. Brand new supplier.

Don't know what that means. :confused:

saltcreep
11-04-2003, 01:50 AM
Here is an explanation as to nature of the suspension from a supplier in Fiji;

"On the 31st October 2003 the CITES Secretariat in Geneva placed a notice advising all member countries to refuse the acceptance of Fiji wildlife exports that require CITES paperwork. For our purpose that will cover the exportation or importation of Live Corals & Live Rock, but does not cover Live Ornamental Fish.

(CITES = Convention of International Trade in Endangered Species)

The reason for this ban is not a sudden gesture from CITES but a course of action taken after Fiji has failed over the past six years to comply with the CITES Treaty. In July of this year the Fiji Government was given until October 31st 2003 to satisfy a set of criteria, which included updating quotas, submitting annual reports, forming a Management Authority, and passing legislation to govern the required regulatory measures contained in the CITES Treaty.

On the 31st October (last Friday) the bulk of the above requirements have been completed, the legislation is still to be ratified by Government and gazzetted (official public notification). This non-compliance has resulted in the Trade Restriction being placed on Fiji.

There is a schedule being quoted that states that the legislation required will be ratified by government this Tuesday 4th October and gazetted by the Attorney Generals Office on Friday 7th or Monday 10th. The program sounds promising, and hopefully will be fulfilled, but until it has been gazzetted there is very little chance that the Trade Restriction will be lifted by the CITES Secretariat."

The last paragraph stated a date of Oct 4 where I believe that it was meant to be Nov 4. US Fish and Wildlife has imposed the temporary suspension of CITES imports from Fiji which will mean that this product will not be allowed into to the US. Most imports of Fiji coral comes via the US so it will have an impact. From a previous conversation with the Canadian Government, Canada will still accept CITES imports from Fiji until this suspension goes through parliament. Hopefully it will be sorted out. From what I have been told is that it could be fairly soon.

Kyle - Coast Mountain