PDA

View Full Version : Bicolour Blennies and SPS?

lastlight
05-25-2010, 02:12 AM
I have no idea why but my tank's a circus today. I suspect everyone of this birdsnest's deterioration. Now I'm watching the Blenny and he's aggressively nipping my new frag just like he does when eating algae off the rocks. Can THESE guys also take corals out?

My tank was so much less stress when it was empty!

pelle31
05-25-2010, 02:31 AM
I have no SPS. But mine goes after a large leather every once in awhile,doesn't seem to affect the leather though. However there is some GSP by his home rock and he beats the crap out of it when it tries to grow over the 2 or 3 holes in his "house" rock.

lastlight
05-25-2010, 02:35 AM
Yeah mine has a 'house rock' as well.

Guess which corals seem to be getting hit? The two directly above his home. He seems insatiable today. I'm watching him and he's all over EVERYTHING and is devouring pellets. Also he's not content to swim BY anything. He's gotta swim right across it and make zoas close, polyps retract.

I love this guy but...sheesh.

lastlight
05-25-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm not too worried about the hermit now or the hitchhiker on its back although I'm curious what it is.

That birdsnest directly above his hole has gotten so much more chomped today (has a smooth appearance with the polyps mangled and the tissue gone in those spots) and the hermit certainly wasn't on it that I saw. Quick read on RC and yeah these guys seem to love nipping at SPS.

I'm actually content with only a handful of fish. Here's my thinking:

I remove him. This will be tough.

Or I get the other fish I want which is obviously a bit aggressive. 4-Stripe damsel. I figure this fish will keep the blenny a little less all over the place and maybe I won't have to take him out. Ideas?

pelle31
05-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Hmmmm I guess I got lucky with mine. With my other fish all over the place mine is content at home or in the back of the tank. He will dart out across 1/4 of the tank to the leather
but he never stays long. Seems he doesn't like the rush of my Yellow Tang and isn't all that crazy about the Carpenter's Wrasse either.

Thank God I'm not into SPS,the personality of the Bi color is awesome. I love the little guy
and would have a hard time giving him up.

andestang
05-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Hate to say it, but yes they are known to be not reef safe. If you have algae growth any where they would be more happy with that. They would munch on glass algae all day. Also they seem to go under the radar in larger systems, I have one in mine and I haven't evicted him yet :) Look at those eyes they're so cute :angel:

Jessie55
05-25-2010, 03:24 AM
They will eat your sps i had to banish mine to the sump after he tried to make a snack out of digitata.

lastlight
05-25-2010, 03:44 AM
I mysteriously lost my Royal Gramma a week or so ago. The gramma and the Blenny kept each other on guard in a funny sort of way. Never really fighting but they were both very aware of the presence of the other. I think tomorrow I'm going to get my grumpy damsel and see if having a king of the tank will neutralize the blenny. he is such a character I'd also hate to get rid of him.

Skimmerking
05-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Brett mine that I had in my tank the 170 he ate 3 clams befor I knew it was him. And a few other corals that he munched on

Jessie55
05-25-2010, 03:46 AM
They are evil.........

lastlight
05-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Dammit!

I bought this guy thinking he'd be hilarious and harmless like my lawnmower was. He's one of the above!

Plan tomorrow is to spend a few hours trying to catch him. If that doesn't work I'll get my 4-stripe.

If THAT doesn't work I spend a day trying to catch both :twised:

I'd start trying tonight but I can't really think of a way to catch and keep him alive for the night.

lastlight
05-25-2010, 04:23 AM
Here are pics of the coral I think is being nipped. Where there still appear to be polyps they are out all the time. New growth can be seen but so can those areas I think look chewed on.

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/solana/nipped1.jpg

http://www.fishbrains.net/images/solana/nipped2.jpg