PDA

View Full Version : WTB Filefish

Chase31
05-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Starting to get some bad apistasia, also wondering if they eat anything but? need one sometime soon, in north edmonton or st albert perfer.

reefwars
05-24-2010, 11:47 PM
i have one it nibbles on it but doesnt really chow it down have noticed him nibbling on my brain once didnt hurt it though, someone told me they can be there a long time before eating it if at all. it also has to be a matted filefish as he is the least likely to eat other corals.you can try getting a nudi branch they are supposed to be quite effective but will starve when he eats it all up. if he cleans your tank right out give him to someone else so he doesnt starve.not sure how hard they are to keep alive as i have never had a nudibranch,hope this helps:)

outacontrol
05-25-2010, 02:05 AM
Chase I had really good luck with 3 pepermint shrimp, they totally destroyed all the apistasia in my tank, 33 gallons so very close in size to yours.

Chase31
05-25-2010, 02:31 AM
Chase I had really good luck with 3 pepermint shrimp, they totally destroyed all the apistasia in my tank, 33 gallons so very close in size to yours.

only problem is i already have a skunk shrimp

Madreefer
05-25-2010, 02:46 AM
only problem is i already have a skunk shrimp

They won't fight.

outacontrol
05-25-2010, 02:49 AM
just from a quick google search lots of people on other forums say they can be kept together just try and make sure they are close to the same size.
Also they say that the cleaner shrimp are day time active and peppermint are nocturnal.
I think when it comes to peppermints the biggest predatory of them is larger fish, I have had no problem with my clowns or coral beauty angel bothering the peppermint.

Aquattro
05-25-2010, 03:27 AM
I bought one of these filefish and the thing is an aptaisia eating machine.

Skimmerking
05-25-2010, 04:13 AM
Pepermints, cleaners and blood shrimp will all do good together

fishoholic
05-25-2010, 04:21 AM
The problem with peppermints is not all of them will eat aptaisia, I've always found it hit of miss with them even when bought in groups. The problem with filefish is that they need non-aggressive tank mates and they might eat corals and small inverts.

Chase31
05-25-2010, 04:31 AM
The problem with peppermints is not all of them will eat aptaisia, I've always found it hit of miss with them even when bought in groups. The problem with filefish is that they need non-aggressive tank mates and they might eat corals and small inverts.

i have a lawnmower blenny (Just got him, hes so cool) two clown fish a skunk shrimp some snails and soft corals

reefwars
05-25-2010, 04:34 AM
fishoholic is absolutely right with any of these its hit or miss some do great jobs others do nothing depends on your system and what it offers to the breed of fish.for me lemon juice and a syringe has worked in the past with my newer tanks if its a small piece i just remove the rock and kill the anemone.some say boiling water or joes juice works well.i know people who have butterflies who eat it and barely pick at anything else but they have a bad rap:):)

Chase31
05-25-2010, 04:36 AM
i have it every ware i need something to eat it lol

reefwars
05-25-2010, 04:46 AM
it is a real pain unfortunately there is no quick answer like anything in this hobby lol pick your battles take out small amounts and start fighting back it will spread even faster the more it grows.have you ruled out getting a copperband butterfly they will eat it right up but along with any other tasty corals in there plus there not the smallest fish at a mature age too big for anything small. how much live rock do you have??

fishoholic
05-25-2010, 12:14 PM
i have a lawnmower blenny (Just got him, hes so cool) two clown fish a skunk shrimp some snails and soft corals

You should be ok with a filefish, your tankmates probably won't bother one and from what I understand they mostly eat sps corals. Ken at Blue world could get one in for you.

Chase31
05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
yea i only have softies,i dont have alot of live rock only about 40lbs but thats my entire tank :P

reefwars
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
i say give it a shot mines in with like a dozen other fast moving large fish and he does fine hes also a really cool fish to watch hes beautiful in an ugly kinda way lol:)

make sure you get a matted filefish:)

Doo
05-25-2010, 06:44 PM
I have a file as well and love mine - did a great job cleaning up the odd one I had in the rocks...

i say give it a shot mines in with like a dozen other fast moving large fish and he does fine hes also a really cool fish to watch hes beautiful in an ugly kinda way lol:)

make sure you get a matted filefish:)