PDA

View Full Version : Flame Angel nipping at corals

Orion
11-03-2003, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I just bought a Flame Angel last week. He has been settling in fine but both yesterday and today I have observed him nipping at my corals. Do you think he should be removed from the tank? Has anyone had experience with this? I would like to keep him if I can ,but not at the expense of my corals(few as they are at this point). Any advice appreciated!

Brian

psuedo
11-03-2003, 11:01 PM
They love the corals. I'd get him out if you want to have your corals

StirCrazy
11-03-2003, 11:41 PM
personaly I would watch to see if he keeps it up and then to see if ther corals are actualy being dammaged. I had one in my reef for a year and he ocasionaly nipped but never dammaged anything.

Steve

Samw
11-03-2003, 11:54 PM
No problems with mine.

Mak
11-04-2003, 12:59 AM
Ditto to what steve said. As long as everything is still extending fully or at least still looks pretty good, I wouldn't worry about it.

Orion
11-04-2003, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the input! I will keep an eye on it and see what happens. He seems to go after the pulsing xenia and the closed brain the most. The large xenia I have is not looking too happy right now!

Thanks, Brian

Tigger
11-04-2003, 03:03 AM
My flame angel has been pretty good. He hasn't touched any corals. All my xenia is still doing fine. I have heard though, that flame angels tend to pick at open brains. Has anybody else had any experience with open brains and flame angels? I have always wanted to get a brain, but I am scare to since I have the flame angel.

Jack
11-04-2003, 03:31 AM
It's hit and miss as with other kinds of livestock. Flame angels are sometimes known to nip at LPS, most noted is the open brain. Not sure if they bother softies but everyfish is different.

Didn't really add to the thread at all but thats all I know, HTH.

Mak
11-04-2003, 06:11 AM
Yep, mine nipped almost constantly at my open brain and a couple of my SPS, that's why I took mine out :eek: :frown: .