PDA

View Full Version : experts wanted :) re: ozone

lockrookie
05-24-2010, 05:21 PM
ok within the next couple of days i am aquiring an ozone generator and orp meter as well as a couple other little goodies maybe..

i know there are specific skimmers that can have ozone run through them but what i have is a vertex IN 180 skimmer and was wondering if ppl agree to what ive been reasearching (not seahorses) one site said i could put a T in the air intake line and add the ozone line to that as to not restrict air flow as well as putting carbon bag on top of skimmer to reduce ozone fumes. this concerns me as the wife and i just recently found out we are expecting our first and the last thing i want to do is fumigate our home lol (more so than i do naturally)

would you suggest a ozone reactor over modding the skimmer? any ideas and help would be generally welcomed.

thanks in advance
jeff

Zoaelite
05-24-2010, 06:22 PM
i know there are specific skimmers that can have ozone run through them but what i have is a vertex IN 180 skimmer and was wondering if ppl agree to what ive been reasearching (not seahorses) one site said i could put a T in the air intake line and add the ozone line to that as to not restrict air flow as well as putting carbon bag on top of skimmer to reduce ozone fumes. :lol::lol::lol:.

Just out of curiosity why are you contemplating running ozone? I have never used an ozone system myself but they destroy free floating organisms bad and good indiscriminately so you loose allot of beneficial life. If your looking for clearer water carbon and filter socks with high flow in the main tank work very well.

lockrookie
05-24-2010, 06:40 PM
ive seen a few tanks that run ozone and the clarity is amazing as well corals are vibrant i have lots of flow in the tank doing over 700 gph in a 90 g and weekly water changes of 15g. 2 koralia 2 powerheads and 1 korlia 1 running as well have a uv light running...

the unit im purchasing is used so not alot of cash being wasted so i figured why not give it a go and see if it makes a difference. if i dont notice too much change then i wont bother with it. my water always seems to be a touch yellow/green and it annoys the ever living crap out of me. and i think my corals are sufferign from it (except the kenya tree it seems to prefer it).

so for your answer as to why.. i figure why not i may lose a few micro organisms but may gain happiness and warm fuzzies from a clean clear tank.

or i may fail miserably and have a huge crash and whine like a baby here on canreef

Seamazter
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
I had used ozone at one time, it worked very well at killing the ich i was always fighting on my blue tang.
The fumes come from every output even the water return, they actually recommend that you run the exit water thru carbon as well.
I would consider if you really want this strong type of killing action, that you use a UV filter instead.

whatcaneyedo
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
I think you're going to want to run carbon on the output from your skimmer as well.

Have you read these already?

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 1: Chemistry and Biochemistry
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 2: Equipment and Safety
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-04/rhf/index.php

Ozone and the Reef Aquarium, Part 3: Changes in a Reef Aquarium upon Initiating Ozone
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-05/rhf/index.php

lockrookie
05-24-2010, 06:56 PM
im already running carbon on the output and it helps but im still not happy.

thank you for the reading info no i havent read them but i will now. ive just been reading random google sites and whatnot

lockrookie
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I had used ozone at one time, it worked very well at killing the ich i was always fighting on my blue tang.
The fumes come from every output even the water return, they actually recommend that you run the exit water thru carbon as well.
I would consider if you really want this strong type of killing action, that you use a UV filter instead.

already running 2 uv filters still not happy :) im a picky sob lol

abcha0s
05-25-2010, 02:53 AM
First thought - I think that running 700gph turnover on a 90 gallon tank is barely meeting minimums. It is definitly not "lots" of flow. Any way...

I've experimented with ozone. I've also done lots of research.

The first problem with using your skimmer is running the effluent through carbon. This is not always an easy task, but is completely necessary. What you need to avoid is restricting the water flow. Your ability to do this successfully will vary depending on the skimmer design.

Also, the ozone will degrade any bags that hold the carbon, so either change these regularily or be prepared for a carbon bomb in your tank.

As you pointed out, you also have to filter any air that escapes through carbon. While ozone in the water is bad for fish, ozone in the air is bad for you. Don't take this one lightly.

One option is a sacrificial skimmer. Something cheap, but good enough to introduce the ozone.

A better option is an ozone reactor. If you find a reasonable unit, please let me know. I am still looking for one.

Is it worth it? I think so, if you can solve the logistical problems.

lockrookie
05-25-2010, 03:38 AM
i have found an ozone reactor with pressure guage for around 44 dollars shipping may be costly tho but what isnt

fencer
05-25-2010, 03:40 AM
1. Carbon traps on the skimmer cup and exhuast
2. You need a dryer to run ozone too
3. remember ozone does not run all the time so the amt of ozone in air is actually very small compared to the volume of air in a house
4. If you feel unsure about it don 't use it

whatcaneyedo
05-25-2010, 04:08 AM
First thought - I think that running 700gph turnover on a 90 gallon tank is barely meeting minimums. It is definitly not "lots" of flow. Any way...

I believe 700gph was the flow through the display tank and sump as he states he also has 2 koralia 2 powerheads and 1 koralia 1 running which would yield 2300gph or 25x turnover per hour.

Skimmerking
05-25-2010, 04:09 AM
With ozone remember that it will also convert your ammonia and nitrite to nitrate very fast so you will notice that you levels will climb too alot of people will run ozone with their becket skimmers and bent the air outside then u don't have to worrying abbout it. That is what I did

abcha0s
05-25-2010, 05:28 AM
i have found an ozone reactor with pressure guage for around 44 dollars shipping may be costly tho but what isnt

Can you provide a link? I am still looking for a reactor. The price seems to be very low, but I'd still like to take a look.

lockrookie
05-25-2010, 05:56 AM
my mistake on cost its actually 44 pounds aprox 68 bucks canadian http://cleartides.com/page21.htm

if this link infringes on forum rules please delete

Rogue951
05-25-2010, 05:58 AM
I have some cheap ozone machine I found on ebay... it's piped into my skimmer air intake... I'm a lazy bastard so I just randomly run the ozone a few hours a day.
or overnight sometimes.
haven't noticed had any problems... but haven't noticed any major improvement either. aside from clearing up the smell after I feed silversides.