PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Glass With a Dremel

viperfish
05-24-2010, 04:31 PM
So here's the scenario; I have a 20 long that I want to set up as a water change tank. My plan is to drill a 1/2" hole through the glass and install a float valve in the tank. I am going to tee into the line to my top off reservoir so my RO/DI feeds water to the W/C tank. I just figured in the arsenal of attachments in the Dremel kit (90% of which I never use) there should be something there that could poke a 1/2" hole in glass. Anyone ever tried this? Which bit works best?

mark
05-24-2010, 04:38 PM
done a few holes in a 20g and a 33g with a dremel. Use the diamond bit, keep it cool (found don't drill right through to hold water in the groove). Took about 15-20 minutes for a 1" bulkhead.

Dyspnea
05-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Diamond coated bits,t hey do drill holes dremel just meant them to be used to engrave and ech glass. I have numerous different bits, but i found the ones that have a pointed tip work the best, just spray water and let the bit do the work (not too much pressure) and use the bit at a 45 degree angle, until you break throught the glass then you can use a different bit and work the bit vertical . I've drilled numerous holes with my dremel this way.

BlueWorldAquatic
05-24-2010, 04:59 PM
You guys have a lot more nerve than I do, a 20" tank is lucky 3mm. Even with a diamond hole saw I am nervous doing it.

Ken

Kenzy
06-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I did the same thing when I turned a 20g into a sump. I laid the tank on its back and added just enough water to wet the area I was going to drill the hole. I used the round diamond bit and just went slow. It still only took about 10 minutes to do it.

Gary
06-04-2010, 03:15 AM
You can make a small dam out of plumbers putty to help keep the bit cooled and lubricated with water.

lockrookie
06-04-2010, 03:54 AM
not to jump your thread but im thinking of trying to notch a 50g tank for external overflow with a dremel not sure if it will work or not i may just try and cut it then add a black plastic piece notched. just a little scared ill destory the tank but you only live once right.

lockrookie
06-04-2010, 04:25 AM
i think i have my answer im going to try this

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444094