PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with new tank & ich

spawn
05-24-2010, 04:08 PM
Hi we've got a two week old tank cycled though, so we bought two clowns on sat. and put em in. Sunday morning both appeared top have ich. Now what? we have a cleaner shrimp also, but niether the fish or the shrimp seem to be aware of the others presence. :cry::question:

spawn
05-24-2010, 04:12 PM
help

TheKid
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Mix selcon or garlic extract in their food, IME ich usually goes away over time

fishytime
05-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Mix selcon(or other liquid vitamin supplement) AND garlic and soak foods in it.......ick will not just go away, if your tank has it, it will always be present(and usually show up in times of stress)......sometime fish will become "resistant" to the strain.....you have the option, being that this is a new setup to remove the clowns and let the tank run fish-less for a couple months (the only real way to rid the tank of ick(aside from a medicinal treatment).

fishytime
05-24-2010, 04:50 PM
oh.....and clowns dont do cleaner shrimp:wink:

BlueWorldAquatic
05-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Welcome to the site.

Two weeks is not enough time for a cycled tank.

Cleaner Shrimp cleaning off Ich is a myth.

Without sounding too redundant, please use the "search" option of this site, Ich is one of the most common problems with marine fish.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=63163

Ken - BWA

lockrookie
05-24-2010, 05:00 PM
well i just recently battled ich and i used a product called kick-ich as well as garlic soaked foods (note read instructions and follow propoerly i underdosed the first time) but using both worked well for me and my ich magnet regal tang seems to be happy now and a pig for food.

reefwars
05-24-2010, 05:10 PM
two weeks is really not long at all , smartest thing to do is let the cycle run its course then get a clean up crew,then you can think about adding fish.personally i would buy a small damsel they are quite hardy and leave him in there for a couple months then think about adding small fish ..SLOWLY!!. then you can pass the damsel on to another person starting a new tank or just keep him although they are little bastards to remove and keep lol.your clowns are showing stress because of the cycle,move,new food, new lighting etc. another important thing is to start up a hospital/quartine tank then you could add fish there first then treat them if need be without any harm to your display/main system, just about everyone starts a tank without doing this and they pay for it down the road.practise and follow all the guidelines because they are their for a reason ,to help you start a tank without having to pay for unesscesary things. hope this helps:)

try to include more info when posting with fish questions like water parameters, tank size ,tank age,livestock etc. :):)

naesco
05-25-2010, 04:37 AM
Hi we've got a two week old tank cycled though, so we bought two clowns on sat. and put em in. Sunday morning both appeared top have ich. Now what? we have a cleaner shrimp also, but niether the fish or the shrimp seem to be aware of the others presence. :cry::question:

Did you put the fish in 2 weeks after you tank has cycled.
What are the water parameters? What is the size of your tank?

A good rule of thumb is to wait a month after your tank has cycled and add one fish one month apart. I know, I know. But, resist the urge to move too fast or you will be fighting, algae, cyno, diatom and fish disease issues.

kevNnic
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
im on basically day 40 of my cycle the waiting is friggin killing me. i just might wait until august. i dont want any issues!

BlueWorldAquatic
05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
You can speed up the process a bit with bacterial seeding. From an established tank, or a commercial product like stability & Prodibio StartUp.

Patience is the key thing to starting up a new tank, this of it as the tanks way of getting you to read up on all the information of reef keeping :biggrin:

Ken - BWA