PDA

View Full Version : removing the trim off my tank??

reefwars
05-24-2010, 03:17 AM
want to remove trim off my tank any problems with this?? is there any tricks or tips or just cut and scrape away?? its plastic and its split in the corners and bowed in places . thanks

christyf5
05-24-2010, 03:24 AM
I did this with my tank, the top stuff came off pretty easily as it was just siliconed in a few spots. The bottom trim was a bit more work though, find yourself a utility knife and wedge it in between to cut the silicone, there might be more silicone on the bottom pieces. Then basically just pull it off as you go.

reefwars
05-24-2010, 03:31 AM
i think i will be able to get it off easily enough its split in alot of places and bowed and warped where its not split and i think it will look alot nicer without it .i have never removed the trim off one before just curious was there anything bad could happen?? how hard is it to find a lid should i go that route one day, can i still fit a glass lid on top?? thanks:)

lastlight
05-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Be careful often times the glass underneath can be pretty unrefined not to mention sharp. If you're simply wanting a rimless look I doubt what's under there is what you have in mind.

reefwars
05-24-2010, 04:07 AM
i wouldnt be opposed to putting a kind of trim back ,perhaps some wood i am doing a skirt out of oak for the bottom if it was ugly i would make a trim for there also.thanks:) i dont mind the trim look its just mine is falling apart anyways i think ill take your advice and peek under a peice in the back and see if its finished and clean to the top:)

ALBERTA REEF
05-24-2010, 07:19 AM
I have busted apart couple of 90g and a 75g. Manufactured tanks are built very sloppy. I found that the top trim is the hardest to get off in one piece I ended up just cutting it away. You will probably fine chips along the edges where it sat. The bottom trim I found it pops off quite nicely. I have found that the sides,front and back panes sit in a groove of the trim about a good 1/2" Does not sit flush with the bottom pane. I suggest getting a custom built tank. A lot less head ake.