PDA

View Full Version : How To Clean a Filter Sock ?

DiverDude
05-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Can't believe I'm asking this but I'm at a point where my sock is clogging in about 24 hours so I'm clearly not getting it clean enough.

When it was new, it was good for a week. After each successive cleaning though, it overflows sooner and sooner.

Presently, I turn it inside out under running water and rub, wring and scrub it with an old toothbrush but the material still seems 'impregnated'.

I'm at a loss. Other than to take it outside and have at it with the pressure washer, I can't see how this is going to get clean.

Thoughts ?

Zoaelite
05-22-2010, 02:18 AM
Throw it in the washing machine (Wife/Girlfriend approval pending) and it will come out good as new. Just don't use any detergent, set it to temp boost and make sure you turn it inside out.

Mech Eng
05-22-2010, 02:19 AM
I use the washing machine, once inside out, once opposite. No soap. Seems to work.

BlueTang<3
05-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Washing machine, i cycle 5 socks then when 4 are dirty put it in the washer. We have a utra clean cycle with hot water no soap they will look new.

DiverDude
05-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Well I guess it's the washing machine then !

I only have one so I guess I'd best pick up a few spares. The fibers are so tightly woven that I wouldn't have thought anything as gentle as the washing machine would work.

Thanks !

Zoaelite
05-22-2010, 02:59 AM
Washing machines have quite the force behind them, during high cycle LG full capacity laundry spins at over 1320 RPM.

Rogue951
05-22-2010, 04:00 AM
isnt it a bit of a waste to use a whole cycle for a few socks?
I've never had a problem hand washing.
what micron is the sock?
is it thin material or is it thicker like the CPR socks?

BlueTang<3
05-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Now were talking efficiency in this hobby, so much water and power is wasted by reefers. I keep the waste water from the ro for my fish laundry towels and socks.

whatcaneyedo
05-22-2010, 04:16 AM
I wash 5 socks at a time inside out with about 1/2 cup of bleach. Then I turn them right side out and give them a second rinse. Once they've had a day or two to completely dry they are good as new.

DiverDude
05-22-2010, 04:35 AM
ok, well I ran a cycle with a single sock (does seem a tad decadent) and while not perfectly clean, it's a LOT better than I've managed before.

I didn't put anything in the machine but a few minutes after putting the sock back in the sump, the skimmer went nuts. :shrug:

naesco
05-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Don't forget when the saltwater drains, turn it inside out and remove the live pods that you will find hiding along the edges and throw them back in the sump.

andestang
05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
This is also what I do. Have to use the bleach as the socks from the Koi's is probably worse than the salt water socks.

I wash 5 socks at a time inside out with about 1/2 cup of bleach. Then I turn them right side out and give them a second rinse. Once they've had a day or two to completely dry they are good as new.

Lance
05-22-2010, 05:39 PM

He he. This is exactly what I do. And as you say it is important to let them dry out completely before use.

hummer
05-22-2010, 06:51 PM
I bought a short garden hose w/ spray nozzle and it attaches to my sink. There's enough pressure that it sprays down pretty clean.

Norstar
05-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Wash it in the washing machine. Hot water - don't know about the bleach.

burgerchow
05-24-2010, 08:20 AM
washing machne, warm/cold cycle and a splash of white vinegar. Hang to dry and they come out looking like new.

DiverDude
05-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Well, that freshly-cleaned socked lasted all of 5 days before it started overflowing again.

Threw it in the washer last night -with bleach this time- and even though I didn't turn it inside out, it came out nice and clean. I let it dry overnight and soon as I put it in the sump, the skimmer went nuts again. It's been over 30 minutes and I can't put the collection cup on the skimmer without it filling in seconds.

Humph.

fishytime
05-28-2010, 03:23 PM
your skimmer going nuts is the reason some people will say not to use your washing machine for filter socks.......residual detergent:wink:

kien
05-28-2010, 03:48 PM
wow your sock lasts 5 days??? I clean my socks in the washing machine and they still only last me 3 days tops. I suppose it depends on the amount of flow through your sump as well.

Ya, I get that detergent skimmer phenomenon every so often. So now I manually rinse my socks after the laundry. Seems to help a bit.

viperfish
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
My wife just loves it when I use her new Samsung washer to clean my slimy filter socks! I just run a quick cycle with a touch of bleach and an extra rinse and spin cycle, I can put them right in the sump after that because they're pretty much dry.

DiverDude
05-29-2010, 12:29 AM
wow your sock lasts 5 days??? I clean my socks in the washing machine and they still only last me 3 days tops. I suppose it depends on the amount of flow through your sump as well.

Ya, I get that detergent skimmer phenomenon every so often. So now I manually rinse my socks after the laundry. Seems to help a bit.

Yeah, about 5 days but don't forget that my total system volume is about 33 Gal !

I didn't use any detergent and I manually rinsed the sock after the washer and let it dry completely.