PDA

View Full Version : SPS frag swelling??????

fishoholic
05-22-2010, 12:50 AM
I got this sps frag on Sunday and it seems to be swelling up on one branch. I have no idea what that means or why it's doing that. All my other sps corals seem fine. I do have small flat worms in that tank so I'm not sure if they could be the cause or not, as a far as I know (a friend told me) that they were the harmless kind, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas?

Before pic. (4 days ago) circled area in question
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/20g%20cube/DSC_2044-1-1.jpg

After pic. (today)
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/20g%20cube/DSC_2062.jpg

fencer
05-22-2010, 12:52 AM
never seen that before

fishoholic
05-22-2010, 12:59 AM
never seen that before

Me either that's why I thought I'd ask and see if anyone had any ideas as to what could be happening to my coral, and what I should do about it.

Dez
05-22-2010, 01:14 AM
I'd just leave it. The polyps are out so I'm guessing it's happy. As long as the tissue is not receding I think you're good.

Werbo
05-22-2010, 01:17 AM
Many sps produce slime as a defence mechanism (ie green slimer). Something may have bothered the sps.

Marlin65
05-22-2010, 01:27 AM
I have had that as well no idea what it was but it did no harm in my tank.
I have not seen that in about 3 months now though. I had it on at least three of my SPS for about two weeks and then it was gone??

fishoholic
05-22-2010, 01:54 AM
I'd just leave it. The polyps are out so I'm guessing it's happy. As long as the tissue is not receding I think you're good.

Tissue is not receding so that's a plus, it's just very odd.

I have had that as well no idea what it was but it did no harm in my tank.
I have not seen that in about 3 months now though. I had it on at least three of my SPS for about two weeks and then it was gone??

Good to know, glad someone else has had this happen to them, and I'm not the only one. I wonder what causes it.

fishoholic
05-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Many sps produce slime as a defence mechanism (ie green slimer). Something may have bothered the sps.

I've had sps slime before, this one's just swollen, but something (I'm not aware of) could of bothered it.

lorenz0
05-22-2010, 03:37 AM
wow, never seen or heard of this. post it up on rc and see if anyone has an answer

pterfloth
05-22-2010, 03:40 AM
I have seen this too several times. No idea what it means. Tagging along.

Chaloupa
05-22-2010, 04:09 AM
I have had 2 Mille's do that..then followed the tissue.....hope it's not the same thing happening...

simplycoral
05-24-2010, 04:34 AM
Its the tips starting to burn. Had it on my Green Tort recently.

Think of it like a blister :wink: When you touch it, its soft like jelly.

Place it lower in the tank.

Simon.

fishoholic
05-24-2010, 05:14 AM
Its the tips starting to burn. Had it on my Green Tort recently.

Think of it like a blister :wink: When you touch it, its soft like jelly.

Place it lower in the tank.

Simon.

Interesting thought but it's only under one white and one actinic T5 bulb, and the light sits about 7 inches above the frag. What you're saying seems to make sense but with the light I have I don't see how it's possible, I've actually been wanting to buy MH 250 watt lights for the tank because I figured the 2 T5 single bulb lights weren't going to be very effective for the long term.

However I will try placing it lower and see if it helps.

Skimmerking
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
U didn't take any water from Dez's Tank did you if that is true your SPS are on Steroids lol

fishoholic
05-24-2010, 04:20 PM
U didn't take any water from Dez's Tank did you if that is true your SPS are on Steroids lol

Actually yes, the frags came from him.

simplycoral
05-25-2010, 02:03 AM
Interesting thought but it's only under one white and one actinic T5 bulb, and the light sits about 7 inches above the frag. What you're saying seems to make sense but with the light I have I don't see how it's possible, I've actually been wanting to buy MH 250 watt lights for the tank because I figured the 2 T5 single bulb lights weren't going to be very effective for the long term.

However I will try placing it lower and see if it helps.

Hi,

Any Acropora can burn if its placed under lighting thats its not used to. Did you recently add the frag? If so it's best to place it on the bottom for a few days first and then gradually raise it to the desired position. I have burn't acro's before under T5's the PAR can be surprisingly high.. On another note, the tip burn might be from a parameter & not the lighting? Such as Potassium or Alk/Dkh Swing.

BTW if the tissues starts receding, it would be best to clip the affected area off.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

fishoholic
05-25-2010, 02:23 AM
Hi,

Any Acropora can burn if its placed under lighting thats its not used to. Did you recently add the frag? If so it's best to place it on the bottom for a few days first and then gradually raise it to the desired position. I have burn't acro's before under T5's the PAR can be surprisingly high.. On another note, the tip burn might be from a parameter & not the lighting? Such as Potassium or Alk/Dkh Swing.

BTW if the tissues starts receding, it would be best to clip the affected area off.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

I got that frag last weekend, however it was under 250 watt MH light which I would think would be more par then my T5 light. The tip isn't burnt it's just swollen like a bubble, and I don't think it has anything to do with parameters because none of my other sps frags seem effected. All the polyps are out and the tissue hasn't receded, so I'm hopeful it will be ok. I did place it lower in the tank and it seems to have helped, the bubble on the top of the branch of frag is still there but the 2 underneath seem to be almost gone.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/20g%20cube/DSC_2065.jpg

simplycoral
05-25-2010, 03:52 AM
I had both 250w MH and T5's running on separate tanks and the T5's were providing more Lumens than the MH. (T5 tank was shallower)

Most T5's over shallower tanks & closer to the water can easily burn a coral if not acclimated correctly. I agree that's it unlikely a parameter if the other corals are doing fine.

Simon.