PDA

View Full Version : Is my BLUE CARPET dying or taking a walk??

Jaidynn
05-20-2010, 03:28 AM
can someone please help me? i purchased this gorgeous blue carpet that had been heathly in store for over 3 weeks. it was huge full and eating no problem. it still feeds great, it ate earlier today in fact, but it seems to have either turned inside out or upside down.. can anyone give me any information on what i can do to save it or if i can just chill out ?

Thank you sooo much!

Jaidynn
05-20-2010, 03:41 AM
the first picture was taken over a week ago, the second and third were taken about half an hour ago.. sorry, forgot to mention that in my first post.

Delphinus
05-20-2010, 07:02 AM
Welcome to Canreef. Wish my welcome post to you was a happier one for you, but you are at a fairly dangerous milestone at around a month - carpets are notorious for looking great and healthy and then suddenly declining. If they can make it past a month usually they will do well long term but very many don't and for reasons not really understood. Something during collection, shipping, wholesale, retail, .. who knows. It could be as simple as a bad silverside or something too.

If it reinflates, hold off on feeding for a bit. Make sure water movement is brisk and alternating if possible (like a wave action with a pause in between surges). This will help keep O2 levels up which should help.

Good luck!!

Jaidynn
05-20-2010, 02:24 PM
Thank you for the welcome Delpinus!
ooooo bad silverside huh? i bought some and had it shipped here from Van, the pet store here doesnt carry it.. of course upon arrival it was thawed, it was covered in freezer packs and still chilled. My first instinct was to throw it out as there are many foods for human consumption that cannot be frozen, thawed, and then frozen again. i will have to do some more research to find out what else i can feed him untill we go to edmonton to try to pick up some more silverside. i was feeding brine and mysis before buying the silverside.

He seems to be doing better this morning, he's moved over just a few inches to another spot, but his foot is still not burried.
Thank you for your help!

BlueWorldAquatic
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
too, I see that alot in the store.

What is the flow like and lighting in the tank. Most carpets like high flow and lighting, especially red & blues.

Ken - BWA

Jaidynn
05-20-2010, 04:56 PM
Lighting:
4 X URI 65W Super Actinic Compact - 180 degree internal reflector, 100% Blue Spectrum peaking at 420 nm
2 X 150W metal halide 15000K
6 X 1W LED moonlights
Water Flow:
2 hydor koralia @ 800 GPH
1 hydor koralia @ 600 GPH

66 Gallon tank 20g sump

i tried to take anoher picture today but my camera died once again - hubby has gone out to purchase a new one as we speak lol
My carpet is doing really well this morning, which leads me to believe he was just trying to move, once the new camera is here i will post another picture of how he looks today

is the lighting and flow okay?

Atomikk
05-20-2010, 09:11 PM
You have more than enough to keep one, so you are good there. I think it was just moving to another spot. As it looks like it is not spewing anything from the mouth. That would be a cause for concern.

saltwaterseahorses
05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
You have more than enough to keep one, so you are good there. I think it was just moving to another spot. As it looks like it is not spewing anything from the mouth. That would be a cause for concern.

It probably is moving and it's a little too heavy too move itself so it needs too flip over to help itself! :lol::biggrin: