PDA

View Full Version : Reefkeeping Waste Management

bioload
05-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I had started a topic on this a while ago with the general question:

“What do you use to remove/process waste/nutrients from your tank?”

The topic was fairly broad and didn’t really get too far.

I’m still setting up my tank and trying to develop a method that would work for me. That being said, I would like to get as much information & feedback regarding the subject as possible. Having a tank in its initial stages will also allow for changes to my approach.

The following is a link to some of the articles that I’ve compiled so far regarding the subject.

http://www.reefkeeping.ca/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=352

Please feel free to provide additional links as needed.

Many approaches exist i.e. x(lbs) of live rock, DSB, Foam Fractionation, mechanical filtration, carbon, GFO, CUC, sulfur de-nitrification…etc. etc. and would like to avoid a debate on which methods are better…probably easier said than done, and would argue that they all work. Again, I’m no expert just trying to keep a glass box relatively clean.

To focus the discussion a bit more let’s start off with a different question……hope you can join in.

What is organic waste?.....is it anything dead/decaying?

Rogue951
05-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Link does not work.

whatcaneyedo
05-18-2010, 11:53 PM
Your link doesn't work for me. Possibly because I am not a member on that site.

Have you read a lot of books and articles on reef aquarium keeping? In my opinion, for a beginner you seem to be over complicating a subject that is basically quite simple. Or at least the basic application is simple even if the actual mechanics are a little complex.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that particulate organic matter and organic waste are the same thing. Detritus. Here is another article for you if its not already in your library:
The Food of Reefs, Part 6: Particulate Organic Matter
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/index.php

kien
05-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Organic Waste is waste (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/waste) that happens to be organic (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/organic) :biggrin:

golf nut
05-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Link works fine. make sure the flow maneuvers detritus to the overflow box, that is 99% of most tank issues.

Madreefer
05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
To answer your question on filtration, if i think thats what your asking. Lots of liverock in the sump, a good skimmer, running carbon and weekly water changes works for my tank. And i'm pretty sure thats what the rest of us are doing.

abcha0s
05-19-2010, 03:25 AM
In case you have never heard of the site bioload refers to (neither had I), you might be interested to know that the user bioload is the owner of this site. Free advertising?

If you are so inclined, take a look at the thread "first post" on his site. He has some interesting thoughts about those "other" forums and why he started his site.

bioload
05-19-2010, 04:53 AM
The Food of Reefs, Part 6: Particulate Organic Matter
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/index.php

Thanks for the link...very useful.

To paraphrase:

POM/SOM - particulate organic material/suspended organic material (detritus, reef snow, marine snow) composed by and large of the remains, secretions and excretions of living organisms uneaten food, and other debris.

detritus tends to settle out of the water column, while suspended organic material is light enough, as it is nearly neutrally buoyant to remain afloat in the water column more easily (can be used by different organisms).

Detritus can be algal composed mainly of dead filamentous algae and phytoplankton, and secondarily of fleshy macroalgae, coralline algae, zooxanthellae, cyanobacteria, phytoplankton and seagrasses. Non-algal detritus is mostly congealed coral mucus and fecal matter (varies by location on the reef).

I've done a bit of reading previously, but just want to make sure. What I found interesting was the thought that we could make water TOO clean. I guess the thinking would be to keep nutrients around long enough to be beneficial/consumed but not long enough to become a problem.

make sure the flow maneuvers detritus to the overflow box, that is 99% of most tank issues.
I tend to agree with this......just makes sense, and I would think that you could have some control over how clean or dirty your tank water would be based on the turnover rate to the sump.

Lots of liverock in the sump, a good skimmer, running carbon and weekly water changes works for my tank. I have seen this work time and time again. Not looking for "shortcuts" but would like to use minimal live rock, and I have been known to miss the occasional water change.

Organic Waste is waste that happens to be organic
Couldn't have said it better myself :biggrin:

In case you have never heard of the site bioload refers to (neither had I), you might be interested to know that the user bioload is the owner of this site.
Yes tis true......just another hobby to keep me out of trouble. I've also got the CNC bug as well, but that will have to wait till after the playoffs.

Haven't decided on a method for filtration yet, but have a few ideas going around in my head. Thought is might be a good to get some input to make sure I understand the more complex parts.

bioload
05-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Would it be accurate to say that organic waste consisting of generally uneaten food, secretions and excretions of living organisms, and decaying remains can be categorized into three forms?

Particulate Organic Matter (POM)
Suspended Organic Matter (SOM)
Dissolved Organic Matter (DOM)