PDA

View Full Version : Interest in Frag Auction

Reef Network
05-18-2010, 10:29 PM
We were thinking of putting on a frag Auction. We would like to gauge your interest in this. Could you please post here if you would be interested in this.

We have put together three of these events on so far. Two were Auction style and the third was a silent Auction. We would also like your input on which style you would like to have.

RN

Ron99
05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I would be interested and liked the silent auction style of the last one. Maybe make the bidding periods a bit shorter to speed things up but otherwise it was good and doing as a silent auction allows socializing time during the whole procedure as well.

pterfloth
05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
I would be interested in a frag swap meet. I don't really care for an auction format because I have to wait around until the end. There doesn't seem to be any point to coming early or on time. I'd rather arrive on time, sell what I have, get what I want and go.

untamed
05-18-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm interested. I've got some stuff to move out...and I would like to get some stuff too!

I would rather just do a buy/sell/trade...whatever...meeting. Keeping to a rigid format of auctioning seemed to make the process go on too long.

Bring stuff...sell it for whatever you want as quickly as you want. Hang around a buy stuff..or leave. It is completely up to you and enables people to come and go to suit their own schedules.

Marlin65
05-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Same here buy sell and leave.

hockey nut
05-19-2010, 12:02 AM
I like the idea of bringing some stuff to sell and buy some stuff while your there and visit. The silent auction is a good idea but went on too long imo.

Reefer Rob
05-19-2010, 12:25 AM
How about a buy and sell and an auction. Might keep the auction small that way. I'd sell some frags both ways.

Chowder
05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
I am interested. Like the idea of the silent auction. I think it would be better if the times were shorter. It would definetly take the work off of one person like the auction style did. Also maybe setting a maximum amount of pieces would make the process go more quick.As a seller last Auction was ok but not to many people showed up. So the people who were there got some real good deals. Would also be interested in a frag sale idea like a garage sale. Having both frags and used equipment for sale.

Chris

christyf5
05-19-2010, 01:01 AM
I like the sped up silent auction and then swap part for equipment.

Ah who am I kidding, I'll be there regardless of what it is :razz:

Chowder
05-19-2010, 01:07 AM
I like the sped up silent auction and then swap part for equipment.

Ah who am I kidding, I'll be there regardless of what it is :razz:

How is that joker favia growing for you?

christyf5
05-19-2010, 01:32 AM
How is that joker favia growing for you?

It was doing great until something stung it and it liquefied in a matter of hours. Not sure who the culprit was but it wasn't pretty. It was quite a distance from anything that I thought could sting it. I'm hoping I can find another one.

You still got that crazy purple bonsai?

Chowder
05-19-2010, 01:35 AM
No lost that colony and all my other nice SPS to flat worms and not being able to controll the Alkilinity fluctuations when I was storing them at work. Just got my tank stable at home know and am starting back into SPS.

Chris

christyf5
05-19-2010, 01:39 AM
Bummer. :neutral: I'll try to control myself at the auction so you can get some new stuff :razz:

Chowder
05-19-2010, 01:58 AM
No buy what ever you like and can afford. There is a lot to go around I'm sure.

Chris

Jason McK
05-19-2010, 02:13 AM
OK what we really need is a venue to hold all this at.

We could do an indoor/outdoor event. with the silent auction inside and the swap meet outside.

Anyone willing to hold such an event!

Chowder don't you have a brand new house :)

J

Chowder
05-19-2010, 05:58 AM
I do but I don't think it is big enough to fit people in. My back yard consists of a deck and most likly will colapse if to many people are on it at the same time or atleast thats what the home inspecter suggested. Don't you have a nice big yard? I heard Franklyn is bustin to have it again.

Chris

TheKid
05-19-2010, 06:06 AM
I remember Anthony mentioning in another post saying he'd be willing to host it.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Yup, I can host it here & Irene already agreed to let our place become invaded by a school of reef-nuts.

I have a big deck (24' x 20') with most of it under cover (portable garage tarp-thingie).

I also have a big screen in the livingroom for posting pics for the silent auction.

My yard is big enough to hold 50-60 people easily.

Jason McK
05-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Great Anthony is there a date free in June or early July?

J

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
The Reef Network should run a poll or something to figure out the best dates for most interested parties, and I'll try to make sure we are available for one of those weekends. My summers are fairly open other than June 5-6th (Felicia's 2nd Birthday).

BTW, I'm centrally located in South Burnaby just off the Kensington exit from Hwy1 and within minutes of Queensborough and Pattulo so people from outside Vancouver can get here fairly quickly. It's in a cul-de-sac so best to mapquest or Googlemap or GPS the location.

Anthony

gobytron
05-19-2010, 06:43 PM
I always thought you just lived in King Eds basement...:mrgreen:

Milad
05-19-2010, 06:55 PM
if this is after my tank is cycled, that would be great!

originalozzyo
05-21-2010, 02:46 AM
I will come if there is a place for it to be held. Prefer just a swap meet

JakartaOrBust
05-23-2010, 03:31 AM
Hey I really like the idea of doing both the swap and the silent at the same time. Perhaps things like more common and often cut stuff would be outside for the general come in buy and get out, and then anyone bringing much more unique and amazing pieces could be placed in the auction. The entirety being an auction is long I agree. But I was disappointed on how fast everyone was out of there last time. I enjoy the conversations as much as I do the frags. It would be nice to have a reason for people to stay.

And yes I will bring a couple frags for once instead of just buying.

Chaloupa
05-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I WILL come this year...so here I am tagging along to get all the news!:biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
05-23-2010, 07:54 AM
How does June 20th sound? Its a Sunday so that gives people time to prep their frags & stuff on Saturday to bring on Sunday.

We can also do a bbq on my deck since what's better than food, drink, reef-talk & meeting new/old friends.

The other option is June 13th, also a Sunday, although this may be too short a notice for some people to make arrangements to have free.

Let me know if June 20th works for you'all.

I'm thinking that 11am to 4:30pm would be sufficient. Maybe go later if enough people hang around.

Anthony

hockey nut
05-23-2010, 08:41 AM
13th or 20th is fine for me. Thanks for hosting Anthony.

Jason McK
05-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Sounds Great Anthony

June 20th it is.

I'll start a new thread tomorrow with more details

J

untamed
05-24-2010, 10:49 PM
June 20 doesn't look good for me. Oh well...that's how it goes.

B

Reefer Rob
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Too bad. June 20th I'll be sailing between White Rock and Porlier Pass.

Ron99
05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
Damn, I just realized that's the same day as the big Italian car show in North Van.

Hmmm...Ferraris or Frags....

Haloreef
05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Crap I will be fishing on the island that week, (30th.) I could make the 13th but that would only give 2 weeks of healing time for the frags. I would have to decide what to frag and get on it. The first 3 weeks in July would be the best for the frags and myself. Oh well I will frag and see.
Keith.

johnyens
05-29-2010, 09:30 PM
I can make it I think. I hope there will be more info on where and what time and stuff...

Sounds like fun!

Jason McK
05-30-2010, 03:49 AM
More information will come as time draws closer.

I guess I need to get organized

J

pterfloth
05-30-2010, 05:44 AM
I'm in!

plutoniumJoe
05-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I'll be there.

Joe.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
OK, so I just posted a similar notice on BCA about the Reef Network swap meet/frag auction/event.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
06-01-2010, 10:15 PM
June 20th is Father's Day sooooooo, let's postpone this event to the following Sunday.

June 27th. Same time. Same place. Same event. Just the LAST Sunday of June, NOT Father's Day.

I'm sure the Fathers here wouldn't mind spending their Father's Day at a Frag Meet but your wives & children might not be too happy with you.

Anthony

fkshiu
06-07-2010, 04:20 AM
Thanks for stepping up Anthony.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier Jason. I just realized that I never gave you a firm answer. Work, a vacation and an SPS meltdown got in the way.

I'll be at Anthony's for sure.

Haloreef
06-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Hey I should be able to make this now! Is there any SPS any one is looking for? If so I can frag any that I may have and make sure I bring those
Keith.

Milad
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
haloreef! im looking for one that is easy to keep in a new tank and is cheap. bring that one. also must look nice.