PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a sump?

Pro Fish Keeper
11-02-2003, 11:36 PM
I think the title says it all :smile: . I have a 115 g (not drilled) that needs a sump. I have looked at dual overflows running into a sump then a refugium. I dont know how big the sump or ref should be for my sized tank? What type of lighting should I put on my ref? What type of tubing, adapters, control valves, pump and what not will I need? Oh and im building my own protien skimmers for the sump so i dont know how much room they will take up. Thanks for any imput.

Canadian Man
11-03-2003, 05:26 AM
WOW, This is quite a question to be asking. I would do as much research as you have time for as you could get 100's of different answer's to sump design. All of them good designs of course.

In your case I would build the skimmer first. Reason being that you can get the skimmer you want with regards to size then fit it into the space you have in your sump. If the sump is going under the stand don't forget about skimmer height.

With regards to fittings and such; This is a hard question to answer as well because every setup is different as well as the equipment that is used for your setup.

Lighting for a fuge need not be more than fluorescent. That grows algae well.

hope some of this helps.

Pro Fish Keeper
11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
It helps alot. Thanks for the imput.