PDA

View Full Version : Sand! SOS

dynamite
05-18-2010, 05:26 AM
Im tired of my sugar size sand blowing everywhere. So I've decided to change my sandbed.
I have a 90g tank that will only house SPS corals and 2 vortech pumps, so I need lots of flow. I want the sand to stick to the ground but not big enough to be a detritus trap and BB is not an option kuz it looks unnatural :mrgreen: Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Mauricio.

OceanicCorals-Eugene-
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
caribsea special grade sand works well for me with high flow that is (3x modded 6055 in a 30g and they arent getting blown around)

Douglas
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Remove the sand, go bare bottom. Then you'll never have an issue.

gobytron
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
other than how ugly it looks....
:lol:

dynamite
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
other than how ugly it looks....
:lol:

LOL :mrgreen: That's why I don't feel like going BB... it looks soo unnatural and unappealing :cry: I love my aquascape with sand.. it looks just like a beach :mrgreen:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g74/mauro_90/DSC00194.jpg

Any other suggestions?

I have 2 vortechs and I need lots of flow.. and it seems like caribsea special grade sand is winning so far LOL (Thanks Oceanic-Corals)

kien
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
That's weird because all accounts that I've heard about the vortechs suggest that the flow out the powerhead is so gentle that sand blasting wasn't an issue. In fact, someone had a shallow tank of 12 inches while running a vortech and said that sand blasting wasn't a concern for them. It looks to me like your vortech is pretty high up and it still blasts the sand? So maybe just try a heavier grain of sand?

dynamite
05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
That's weird because all accounts that I've heard about the vortechs suggest that the flow out the powerhead is so gentle that sand blasting wasn't an issue. In fact, someone had a shallow tank of 12 inches while running a vortech and said that sand blasting wasn't a concern for them. It looks to me like your vortech is pretty high up and it still blasts the sand? So maybe just try a heavier grain of sand?

Yes Kien, if I keep my vortechs at its 50% I won't have any trouble however I feel like there's no enough flow!! LOL (maybe it's just me :lol:)

I test my tank's flow with my hand :mrgreen: and like I said, it seems like there's no enough flow.. but this may be inaccurate :neutral:

So I don't know what to do.. I want lots of flow for my SPS :cry:

kien
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Yes Kien, if I keep my vortechs at its 50% I won't have any trouble however I feel like there's no enough flow!! LOL (maybe it's just me :lol:)

I test my tank's flow with my hand :mrgreen: and like I said, it seems like there's no enough flow.. but this may be inaccurate :neutral:

So I don't know what to do.. I want lots of flow for my SPS :cry:

Well, then it sounds like the obvious solution is for you to buy two more Vortechs and run them all at 50%. Problem solved. :lol:

dynamite
05-18-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, then it sounds like the obvious solution is for you to buy two more Vortechs and run them all at 50%. Problem solved. :lol:

LOOL I wish xD 2 are enough for my tank, but I hate the fact that they're only running at its 50% :twised: urggggg... I need a solution... In the next couple days LOL

Werbo
05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I have 2 MP40s in a standard 120. I use caribsea special grade sand and I have no sand storms and it stays put. Rinse it well...

Reefer Rob
05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Sand just distracts from your corals. The sand must go! Turn those puppies up to 100%.

BTW I don't see the corals in the picture :surprise:

dynamite
05-19-2010, 12:18 AM
I have 2 MP40s in a standard 120. I use caribsea special grade sand and I have no sand storms and it stays put. Rinse it well...

Thanks! Do you have at 100% or similar? Does the sand stays clean, or does it becomes a detritus trap? :mrgreen:

Sand just distracts from your corals. The sand must go! Turn those puppies up to 100%.

BTW I don't see the corals in the picture :surprise:

No.. I hate the way it looks w/o sand :mrgreen: it looks unappealing and unnatural.

I'll be gone for a month and a friend will take care of the tank :neutral: So I'll wait until I come back :wink:

Werbo
05-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Of couse it will become a detritus trap. As the pro-bare bottom enthusiasts will say the detritus must settle somewhere and it will settle in your sand. If you go bare bottom you can easily spot detrius build up and siphon it out. Some sandbed owners regularly vaccum their sandbed.

I only have a 1 inch sandbed and vaccum it monthly.

dynamite
05-19-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks Tyler, what kind of sand do you have and what do you use to vaccum you sand?

Thanks.

Werbo
05-19-2010, 02:05 AM
Caribsea special grade reef sand.
http://www.caribsea.com/pages/buy_it/aragalive/buy_reefsanddirect.html

Just a $8 thingy... for cleaning gravel/sandbeds.

dynamite
05-19-2010, 02:48 AM
and it works? :mrgreen: are you happy so far? :) LOL