PDA

View Full Version : Lugol's Solution Question

Seafan
05-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Wondering if there is a difference in the lugol's solution you buy in a pharmacy versus stuff at the lfs? Is it safe to do a coral dip in the pharmacy type, and if so how much lugol's to water do you use? Also read some people use the pharmacy version to supplement their tank for iodine, is this safe or would it wipe out all the beneficial bacteria because of the iodide in it as well? Or for dosing tank do you strickly use lfs iodine? If you supplement tank as well with lugol's how much do you add per gallon? Sorry if this is winded or confusing, I am just confused right now, been a long day and have a brain that is in dire need to be dipped. Thanks in advance.

whatcaneyedo
05-18-2010, 04:44 AM
They are the same thing. I dont dip but I have supplemented with both although I'm not sure why anymore. Randy's gospel states that it is unnessessary. But if you do want to add you should use an iodide supplement rather than iodine. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800569&highlight=lugols

Seafan
05-18-2010, 05:16 AM
They are the same thing. I dont dip but I have supplemented with both although I'm not sure why anymore. Randy's gospel states that it is unnessessary. But if you do want to add you should use an iodide supplement rather than iodine. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1800569&highlight=lugols

Thank you for letting me know they are one and the same. One of my brain corals lost 1/2 of it's tissue in the last 24 hours, and I want to try to save the remaining half, that is the only reason am looking to dip it. Have heard lots of good things about supplementing brains with this as well.
If anyone else supplements their tanks with lugol's pharmacy variety would love your input. Thanks again.

rayjay
05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
As far as the dosing part goes, you will always find someone who doses some form of iodine.
However, when the great majority of people DON'T dose it, and their tanks do just as well as the ones that DO dose it, what does that tell you?
That, plus the fact that Randy's credentials to be able to say that it is not needed, speak for me at least.
There is also the old adage, if you can't test for, and find it lacking, don't dose it.
Unfortunately there are NO hobby test kits for any form of iodine, that can accurately tell you what the levels are.

fishytime
05-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately there are NO hobby test kits for any form of iodine, that can accurately tell you what the levels are.

http://www.marinedepot.com/Salifert_Iodine_Test_Kit_Iodine_Test_Kits_for_Salt water_Aquariums-Salifert-SF1121-FITKIK-vi.html

Seafan
05-18-2010, 02:26 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/Salifert_Iodine_Test_Kit_Iodine_Test_Kits_for_Salt water_Aquariums-Salifert-SF1121-FITKIK-vi.html

Thanks fishytime, I guess I should have mentioned I do have a salifert test kit, and currently have normal levels of Iodine, or at least according to the tests I do. I should also add I do run a very simple 90 gallon system and do not just randomly add anything unnessarily. I have read when aquariums are leaning towards being lps and softie dominant they can have a tendancy to require additions of iodine. I guess my biggest concern was and should have more clearly stated, (I apologize for not being clearer) whether Lugol's from Pharmacy would be same as say Kent's Lugol's solution. As the Pharmacy variety was the only one my husband could find for me last night, as was direly needed to aid a dyeing brain. Thanks again.

rayjay
05-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I say again, there are NO test kits for any form of iodine that can ACCURATELY tell you what the levels are. That includes the Salifert one.
This information comes from Randy Holmes-Farley and Boomer, both of RC, and both knowledgeable on the topic.

Seafan
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
I say again, there are NO test kits for any form of iodine that can ACCURATELY tell you what the levels are. That includes the Salifert one.
This information comes from Randy Holmes-Farley and Boomer, both of RC, and both knowledgeable on the topic.

ok, thank you for the info. Just wondering does this mean you never dip a coral for a bacterial infection with an iodine dip then either?

rayjay
05-18-2010, 05:07 PM
No, it definitely doesn't mean that.
Dipping corals in an iodine bath, while I've never done it myself, has proven to be an effective remedy many times.

fishytime
05-18-2010, 05:25 PM

any hobbyist grade test kit for anything(Ca, Mg, Iodine) will be at best an approximation on which to base results.....at least its somewhere to start

rayjay
05-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Yes, I agree that they are not exact for any elements. However there is a wide degree of difference in accuracy in say, calcium or magnesium, compared to the accuracy of the test for iodine.
And, the problem is exacerbated by the fact that a little too much iodine and you can poison your tank, whereas a little too much calcium or magnesium might cause some precipitation but it's not a potential doomsday like the iodine MIGHT be.
I guess it boils down to first of all, if one believes dosing iodine to be necessary, and then if so, does one trust the test kit for that purpose.

Reefer Rob
05-19-2010, 12:50 AM
I dose iodine (and iron) without testing, I have for years. I dose the recommended amount on the bottle with my Mg supplement, it makes the SPS colors brighter in my tank. If I noticed any detrimental effects I would stop... Observation is your best tool in reef keeping.

Madreefer
05-19-2010, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE Observation is your best tool in reef keeping.[/QUOTE]

I dosed iodine for years as well with no adverse effects. I no longer dose as I cant find it anymore. Other than once a month I only test when I see something wrong or out of place in my tank. This hobby/obsession is a little too time consuming to begin with.

bkelly
05-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Im dosing with it -mostly LPS, I read the lighter hard corals can go blue if overdosed - i have noticed my tan/pink Monti now has some blue coloring spots so Im going to back off and see if it goes away - Ive been doing Lugos dosage as per directions