PDA

View Full Version : How can i get rid of the red algae growing on my rocks?

saltwaterseahorses
05-17-2010, 11:57 PM
ITS ALL OVER, JUST DANGLING THERE AND i dont know what fish I should get too clean it all off?!!?

whatcaneyedo
05-18-2010, 12:45 AM
Use this sites search engine and look for threads with 'cyano' in the thread title. I found 28 threads under that heading alone. 'Red slime' would probably yield a few more. http://canreef.com/vbulletin/search.php?searchid=1156939

reefwars
05-18-2010, 01:07 AM
for me my fiji foxface will nibble at it and my filefish seems like he likes it and i have a dragon goby who will put anything in his mouth thats on the sand or rocks regardless of color or what it is lol and he cleans alot of it up.hope this helps :)

saltwaterseahorses
05-18-2010, 01:27 AM
thxs, everyone, and what does a dragon goby look like? would it fit a 35 gallon?

reefwars
05-18-2010, 01:43 AM
mostly gray with some green and blue in it and some spots im sure it varys a bit he sifts sand pretty much 24hrs a day hes the whole reason my sand is decent, not sure about his tank req. mines in a 180 had him started in a 60 and when he seemed like a good addition i stuck him in my display tank and hes probably one of the best investments in there:)

heres a brief bio on them i found:

There are many different types of gobies out there and while the name Dragon Goby sounds a little intimidating don’t be alarmed. This type of goby serves a specific purpose in a saltwater aquarium. The Dragon Goby is known by several names which may seem a little less threatening to the average person such as, Brown-barred Goby, Pennant Goby, Harbor Goby or even Pistol Goby to name a few. No matter what you call this goby the colors are going to be the same. It has a light brownish gray body with dark bars on it. Also there are black spots on the gill cover, first dorsal fin and the tail with some blue spots on the front of the body and the head. The main purpose for having this particular fish is sifting the sand on the bottom of your tank. “What makes this goby different from all the others?” you ask.
The Dragon Goby is generally a hardier type of goby than most others like it. This goby will keep the upper layer of sand mixed up by consuming mouthfuls of sand and pushing it right back out through it’s gills. The average size for this fish is between 2-4 inches and the minimum tank size you can house it in is 20 gallons.
Their diet is pretty simple as well. It consists of small bottom dwelling invertebrates and algae. However, a varied diet is needed consisting of frozen food designed for invertebrates. Don’t be alarmed when you read that it eats bottom dwelling invertebrates that it may eat your star fish or any other invertebrates you may have in your aquarium because it is totally compatible with reef aquariums as well as non-reef aquariums. It will not harm sessile invertebrates.

reefwars
05-18-2010, 01:45 AM
just to note he does pick at your rocks and everything on them at least mine does anyways:)

Madreefer
05-18-2010, 03:25 AM
There is no fish that eats cyano. Use the search engine just as another member posted.