PDA

View Full Version : Help!, I cracked my tank

Mandosh
05-17-2010, 01:19 AM
I cracked the glass around the bulkhead in the back panel while moving my new 55g bowfront. Long story short...last couple of hours have been a little hectic...tank was fully stocked. On the positive side I figure i might as well get the panel replaced and drilled the way i want it. I was wondering if there is anywhere in the vancouver area that repairs broken tank panels.

saltwaterseahorses
05-17-2010, 01:41 AM
speedy glass?

Zoaelite
05-17-2010, 02:06 AM
If it's drilled and broken I doubt you can fix it so you will like it, would be smarter to just purchase a new pane of glass.

saltwaterseahorses
05-17-2010, 02:10 AM
ya and if you dont want water leaking everywhere just lower your water below the crack and then it wont leak

Mandosh
05-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Thats what i was planning on doing but my silicone skills are severely lacking. I'm looking for a place that will install and drill a new panel

saltwaterseahorses
05-17-2010, 02:15 AM
ok

Mandosh
05-17-2010, 02:17 AM
Lowering the water level kind of defeats to purpose of my overflow and filling up a tank with a weak panel seems like a good way to flood my house

Mandosh
05-17-2010, 03:56 AM
bump

abcha0s
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but it seems to me that the cost of repairing a glass pane on a 55g is going to be very close to the cost of buying a new 55g tank. You will also need to have your tank completely empty for several days to get the repair done.

If you do decide to repair this, keep in mind that new silicone does not bind to old silicone. For this to be structurally sound, you have to make sure that you completely strip all of the silicone when you remove the pannel. Even a trace of old silicone will weaken the structure.

While I have never done it, my concern with this approach has always been the corners. At some point, the old and new silicone has to touch. I guess if it's not a structural joint where they meet you should be ok.

If you browse the web, those who really are experts often suggest that you have to completely break down and strip all of the panes and rebuild the tank from scratch.

No doubt there are shortcuts, but on a 55g I think I would be shopping for a new one.

Sorry.