PDA

View Full Version : Storing Sand

StirCrazy
11-02-2003, 06:52 PM
ok so I now have about 200 lbs of used sand to store and I was wondering what is the best way to do it so it can be used at a later date.

Steve

Bob I
11-02-2003, 07:05 PM
I have absolutely no idea, but if it was me, I would wash it, and somehow dry it.. That way you can treat it as new sand. :mrgreen:

chwkreefer
11-02-2003, 07:37 PM
ok so I now have about 200 lbs of used sand to store and I was wondering what is the best way to do it so it can be used at a later date.

Steve

I bought almost 200lbs of used Southdown Sand from Wendell earlier this year. I spent about 4 hours rinsing it in a little plastic kids pool. It takes awhile. After I washed/rinsed the sand I stored the sand back in the plastic Instant Ocean buckets and within a few days the odor would start coming back. So I knew I had to dry the sand out completely. I just spread it out on a tarp and let the July sun dry it. I think drying out the sand is key as then the bacteria die off. . . and eliminates the bad odor.

With this cold dry weather it probably would dry out your sand fairly quick. Or if you had a basement or something where you could spread out the sand. But definitely letting the sand dry well after rinsing is key.

What was great afterwards was when I set up my new 150 gallon reef, the water never got cloudy from the sand and was almost perfectly clear right from the get go. All the rinsing got rid of the very very fine particulate.

Hope this helps.
Bill

EmilyB
11-02-2003, 08:00 PM
I froze mine...... :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-02-2003, 08:07 PM
I froze mine...... :mrgreen:

ya but your in calgary and it gets cold enuf to freeze stuff there :mrgreen:

Steve