PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading the lights from 250-400

Skimmerking
05-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Thinking about upgrading the lights to 2x 400's i have a complete crap load of LPS ranging from
Acans
Blasto's
Lobo's
Brains
Frogspawn
Gorgonians
well you get the idea.

what are your thoughts

The Codfather
05-16-2010, 04:40 PM
Stick with the 250's Mike. Unless you have a really deep tank, I think the 400's will be too much. Just my thought.

Doug
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Why do you think the tanks lacking light now Mike? It was fine when all sps. Should have kept the 3rd halide. :D

I think if you want more light, go with a pair of vho super actinics as we discussed. IMO, that will make those lps colours jump out.

Or could always change the bulbs to a higher par type bulb but then the tank will be a whiter colour. The best combo would be a nice crisp 10k with a ton of par and a set of those super actinics to give it the blue type look.

kien
05-16-2010, 05:50 PM
ya, 400 watts seems like a lot for LPS, unless your tank is really deep, like 36 inches? :biggrin:

I can't keep any of my LPS above my sand bed otherwise they get roasted. In fact, some of them even have to sit under overhangs or they will get sunburned. I have 250 watts with a 20" water height. Lights are 8 or 10 inches from the water surface so 28" from the sandbed I guess.

What is it that you're not liking about the 250 watts on your tank?

Skimmerking
05-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Why do you think the tanks lacking light now Mike? It was fine when all sps. Should have kept the 3rd halide. :D

I think if you want more light, go with a pair of vho super actinics as we discussed. IMO, that will make those lps colours jump out.

Or could always change the bulbs to a higher par type bulb but then the tank will be a whiter colour. The best combo would be a nice crisp 10k with a ton of par and a set of those super actinics to give it the blue type look.
3rd MH that is why i took it down dont have the corals for the tank and 2 lumenarc's over a 60 " tank just trying to get the best spread. you know me. ya i think once I move and once we get another house i will incorporate the light rack and use the 48" VHO's super actinic.

Stick with the 250's Mike. Unless you have a really deep tank, I think the 400's will be too much. Just my thought. well with the lights sitting ovre 12" the tank to the bottom its 36" already and i still have a bit of shadows in the tank.

ya, 400 watts seems like a lot for LPS, unless your tank is really deep, like 36 inches? :biggrin:

pretty much kien the tank with hte lights are 36" like to have the lights a little higher.

I can't keep any of my LPS above my sand bed otherwise they get roasted. In fact, some of them even have to sit under overhangs or they will get sunburned. I have 250 watts with a 20" water height. Lights are 8 or 10 inches from the water surface so 28" from the sandbed I guess.

What is it that you're not liking about the 250 watts on your tank?