PDA

View Full Version : Sun Coral help.

silentcivilian
05-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Ok... So i got this sun coral.. cause I wanted to try a non-photo coral, I enjoy the way they look, and dont mind taking the time to feed them. Trouble.. it doesnt come out at night.. It tried to for awhile.. but never really came all the way out.. but then again.. its never really fully retreated into its shell as in its giving up in life.. wondering what to do??

Tank water seems fine, nothing else having problem, zoos, pallies, hammer, acans, greenstar, birdsnests, brain, slimer, ricos and yuma all doing well. Ive even got in the habit at night of taking jucies.. target spraying the colony with the juices to bait them out.. but to no prevail.. how little light do they need.. Ive moved from low and sheltered with no light and little flow to higher up and higher flow with only light from my coralight 1watt LED nightlite coming down on it. I know they are light sensitive.. will I have to kill all light?? Cause I currently love the glimmer of my nightlite..

Advice??

tlo
05-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Sometimes corals need to be coaxed into opening up, especially after the stress of shipping, moving to a new tank etc. You could try cutting the top off of a pop bottle and place it over the coral and feed it through the spout so that it does not blow away, if the food is allowed to just sit on it for a few a while, they will usually open up. After a few days of this, as soon as it 'smells" the food in the water it will open up.

trilinearmipmap
05-16-2010, 04:14 PM
You could try putting some Cyclop-eez into the water as a feeding stimulant, if the coral opens up after this you could feed it 15 minutes later.

monocus
05-16-2010, 07:06 PM
start feeding a little bit of shrimp juice-also watch what you buy with sun corals-if the opening around the polups is shrunken or if you can see a small opening where the pollups come out it is probably on it's way out.after a while the pollups will come out in the day at feeding times after about a week or two using the shrimp juice.also place them around a intermitant flow.as long as they are not under metal halides-they don't have to be placed in absolute dark-mine do fine under compact florecents and under led lighting