PDA

View Full Version : Saltwaterseahorses 35 gallon

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 04:41 AM
http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/he1016/photos040.png

this is it so far, this is actually it when it was at the persons house that I was buying it from but I actually have different fish and different rock setup in there! :lol: :biggrin:

rayjay
05-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Nice looking tank.
I just wanted to mention though, that from other posts, you are still planning your tank.
Keep in mind, that the minimum tank requirements for a pair of seahorses is 29/30g. With a 35, and already having that scooter blenny pretty well makes it fully stocked if you put a pair of seahorses in with it.
Putting more fish will mean even more diligence with husbandry and with rock in the tank also, it makes it much more chancy for seahorse LONG TERM success.
When I look back on my failures, and now, on losses that locals ask me to check out, the biggest thing I found/find is decayed food that matts together and doesn't blow out with powerheads, and being unseen, one doesn't know about that mass that is the breeding grounds for the bacteria that so often kill off our seahorses.
I only find this after tearing a tank apart to look for reasons for losses.

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 10:05 PM
ok and ya I will just keep it then with them and the scooter blenny! so then they'll be fine right?

rayjay
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Well, there are no guarantees with salt water fish, and especially seahorses, but if you do everything right, and buy the right seahorses, then you have a good chance.
Once you get over the hump of the first few months, then the next thing to watch for is complacency that sets in.
When nothing goes wrong, I see time and time a gain where people (including me years ago) feel that every thing is going just fine, and husbandry gets a little more time between things. Then, bacteria starts to build up and all of a sudden, the seahorses you've have for a year or so, suddenly get tail or snout rot or something else, and die.
It didn't really just happen, it had been building up since back when we/I started to slacken off with keeping everything as pristine as it used to be kept.
Keeping seahorses LONGTERM is an investment that never ends when you are talking about the time put into their success.
IMO, if one isn't prepared to do the work now AND down the road, then one shouldn't get into keeping seahorses.

p.s. Thanks for taking the time to check out seahorse needs BEFORE you get right into it!

rayjay
05-15-2010, 10:33 PM
I never thought to mention that if you could find a way to hook your tank up to about a 15g or 20g sump, you could go with a second pair of seahorses in that tank, but make sure they are from the same breeder as the first pair.
That would also allow you to put the rock, or most of it, in the sump, making it easier to keep the DT cleaner.
A lot of my tanks aren't drilled and on one I have a conventional DIY overflow hanging on the back and the other three have DIY PVC overlows.

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 11:51 PM
hhah ok thats an awesome idea, maybe I can get that after I make some money acting in commercials lol