05-15-2010, 04:29 AM
k thxs

rayjay
05-15-2010, 01:49 PM
Seahorses (kuda, barbouri, reidi)
pipefish (dragon face, or others)
yellow headed jawfish
or other type of jawfish
Most jawfish are not suitable for seahorses.
Only the Pearly Jawfish is rated as a 1 and I had to remove mine many years ago because it would nip at one of the seahorses.
It never bothered the other 3, only that one.
Some jawfish too are jumpers and need the top to be covered.

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
oh ok, because my local pet store j&l says jawfish are fine?

rayjay
05-15-2010, 04:19 PM
That is why you need to go to seahorse.org for FACTUAL information. There are a lot of stores saying a lot of things, and sometimes they may have the correct information, but most times not.
Stores often go by a situation they have done short term in the store, or have heard from a customer, but individual cases cannot be taken as the status quo as there are always exceptions.
The ONLY store that I KNOW of at the moment that is actively learning what is needed to be known about seahorse keeping is BlueWorldAquatic in Edmonton and he would, I hazard a guess, refer you to seahorse.org for information he doesn't have.
There may be some others but I've not seen enough indication in any posts of any that are more informed, or indeed, anywhere NEAR as informed as the org.
If you can't find the suitability on the TANKMATES guide, then go to the org and ask the large membership what their experiences are because it has worldwide participation, from newbie to experienced hobbyist, to commercial breeders.

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 04:25 PM
ya i looked on seahorse.org for all my tankmates lol but it says there fine with the pearly jawfish

rayjay
05-15-2010, 04:40 PM
Yes, that is why it was one of the fish I tried years ago when I first started the hobby.
Unfortunately it had a problem just with that one male reidi and had to be removed. Again, an exception, just like sometimes a tankmate NOT recommended works out for someone.
Now, I no longer put ANY other fish in the tank, even another seahorse from a different breeding source.
By doing so, I increase my chances of success by not having to deal with pathogens that may be introduced that the seahorse many times fall victim to.
Just one of many changes I've made to improve the odds for my ponies.

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 04:44 PM
thats a good idea, and i wont take the risk, and i have a scooter blenny in there right now but hes fine!