PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Little eel

fishoholic
05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
Know that you were loved and that I will miss you :cry:

For a little back ground info my eel stopped eating for 5 weeks before I went away on holidays, as you can see in the video he used to be a good eater. When I got back from holidays he started eating again but it only lasted a few days before he stopped again. 3 days ago I noticed he seemed fairly lethargic and that overall he didn't look well. Today we found him dead in the tank :cry:

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1814.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/th_P1070469.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/?action=view&current=P1070469.flv)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/Laurie_Morin/6-line/Golden%20moary/DSC_1797.jpg

Edit: for some reason my computer is acting up and I can't get photobucket to load right. The links should be good but they're not working for me so I apologize if they don't work for you.

Delphinus
05-15-2010, 04:13 AM
FWIW, pictures loaded fine for me Laurie - fantastic shots.

Sorry for the loss. :cry:

fishoholic
05-15-2010, 04:16 AM
Thanks Tony

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 04:18 AM
awww :'( that sux, seem he liked that frogspawn!

andestang
05-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Thats really sad :(, was a great looking eel.

whatcaneyedo
05-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Its strange that this happens from time to time. The volitan lionfish that I had for 4 years just decided to stop eating last August and then died in September. I found this article on 'fish anorexia' back then http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/12/aafeature1

Skimmerking
05-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Oh so sorry to hear Laurie, next time i'm in Town we will go huntign for a new fishy for you OK, my treat.

P>S hows the skimmer working for ya

Flash
05-15-2010, 01:30 PM
Beautiful pics laurie. I am sorry for your loss.

fishoholic
05-15-2010, 01:58 PM
awww :'( that sux, seem he liked that frogspawn!

Ya he hung out in it quite a bit, that and the pipe coral were his 2 favorite spots.

Its strange that this happens from time to time. The volitan lionfish that I had for 4 years just decided to stop eating last August and then died in September. I found this article on 'fish anorexia' back then http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/12/aafeature1

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing, I'm wondering if this might of been part of what happend. The article mentions an eel who was eating but stopped after it jumped from the tank, then after several months started eating but died a week later. Now my eel never jumped out but the article says that due to the eel not eating it may have caused liver damage from the extended starvation. Might of been what happened with mine.

I found this interesting:

"Force-feeding is a technique that can be employed on larger carnivorous fishes. A sedated fish is held on its back while its mouth is opened. A food item of appropriate size for the animal is then placed in the back of the animal's throat. A finger or semi-rigid tube is then used to gently push the food item into the stomach. In some species such as anglerfish and eels, there are back-curved vomerine teeth in their throat that will actually grasp the food item and keep the fish from voluntarily regurgitating it."

My frogfish right now has stopped eating, it's been almost 2 weeks. Sometimes he'll take the food, but then spit it back out. Not 100% sure about how I feel about force feeding or how I'd be able to sedate him in order to try it, but I'd rather try it then see him starve himself. Either that or I might just have to find some live food for him.

Thanks Mike and Lindsey.

Mike the skimmer has it's pump back and is working great.

Riptide
05-15-2010, 02:34 PM
wow beautiful...sorry for the loss

dsaundry
05-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry about the eel, I lost my golden dwarf eel a couple of weeks back too, did a carpet surf on me and didn't make it. One of my fave's.:cry:

fishoholic
05-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Sorry about the eel, I lost my golden dwarf eel a couple of weeks back too, did a carpet surf on me and didn't make it. One of my fave's.:cry:

Sorry yours went carpet surfing, I hate when fish do that.

Lance
05-15-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this Laurie. It's tough to lose a fish. :sad:

saltwaterseahorses
05-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Ya he hung out in it quite a bit, that and the pipe coral were his 2 favorite spots.

Very interesting article. Thanks for sharing, I'm wondering if this might of been part of what happend. The article mentions an eel who was eating but stopped after it jumped from the tank, then after several months started eating but died a week later. Now my eel never jumped out but the article says that due to the eel not eating it may have caused liver damage from the extended starvation. Might of been what happened with mine.

I found this interesting:

"Force-feeding is a technique that can be employed on larger carnivorous fishes. A sedated fish is held on its back while its mouth is opened. A food item of appropriate size for the animal is then placed in the back of the animal's throat. A finger or semi-rigid tube is then used to gently push the food item into the stomach. In some species such as anglerfish and eels, there are back-curved vomerine teeth in their throat that will actually grasp the food item and keep the fish from voluntarily regurgitating it."

My frogfish right now has stopped eating, it's been almost 2 weeks. Sometimes he'll take the food, but then spit it back out. Not 100% sure about how I feel about force feeding or how I'd be able to sedate him in order to try it, but I'd rather try it then see him starve himself. Either that or I might just have to find some live food for him.

Thanks Mike and Lindsey.

Mike the skimmer has it's pump back and is working great.

well when its time you will see him at the bridge before you enter heaven!!! he will be slithering along making his way over you to come and hug you, and you never even know you might see his to favorite corals up there trying to calm him down before he hurts you!

fishoholic
05-16-2010, 01:46 AM
well when its time you will see him at the bridge before you enter heaven!!! he will be slithering along making his way over you to come and hug you, and you never even know you might see his to favorite corals up there trying to calm him down before he hurts you!

Thanks that's sweet thought :biggrin:

saltwaterseahorses
05-16-2010, 05:10 AM
lol anytime!