PDA

View Full Version : Just Got the new Aqua Medic Oceanlight T5 fixture... Much Nicer Than My TEK!

viperfish
05-14-2010, 06:08 AM
For my new build I needed a four bulb T5 fixture to supplement my halides and to use as an all day light fixture. I owned a TEK and I don't know if they have improved with the Elite but I found the build on the original was flimsy, those mounting legs were wobbly, the splash guard was nothing but a piece of acrylic that you can buy at Home Depot. and Sunlight Supply should include some sort of mounting hardware with the fixture. When I heard Aqua Medic was coming out with a new Oceanlight I had to get my hands on one. I have always been a fan of Aqua Medic, they are very high quality fixtures at a price that won't break the bank. I managed to find one out of the US and it arrived today, I fell in love with this thing as soon as I opened the box! It comes with mounting legs and a hanging kit, AB bulbs, the fixture body is tons better than the TEK, individual contoured reflectors, and LED moonlights built right in (very similar to the way Icecap has it done)! I got it for less than the price of the TEK. My four bulb unit does not have a fan but the six and eight bulb units do. I think Aqua Medic has a winner with this one! I can't wait to plug this thing in and give it a try. I'll post pics and give an update when I get it running.

ElGuappo
05-14-2010, 06:23 AM
Pics?????

Scubasteve23
05-14-2010, 06:55 AM
are u still up playn with that fancy new light Rod??? lol :p

gobytron
05-14-2010, 01:55 PM
So are they individual reflectors like the tek or like the sunlight supply new wave fixtures where it's one big reflector that is bent to accomodate each bulb?

untamed
05-14-2010, 08:19 PM
I hope they've improved the requirements to change the bulbs. Changing bulbs on my AquaMedic OceanLight fixture is a royal PIA involving removal of 16 individual screws. Once the screws are removed, the fixture wants to collapse in on itself so you have to hold it open while you remove the glass and a portion to get access to the bulbs.

viperfish
05-16-2010, 05:47 AM
No screws to remove at all. The cover plates are in three pieces and slide out quite easily. I posted pics in my build thread http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=63787

steelcaveman
08-04-2010, 05:33 PM
I am looking into the Aqua Medic T5 light for my tank.
How do you like it so far?
Do you get a shock if you touch the light?
I ask because I've heard there old light fixtures had issues.
Is it UL certified?
Really nice setup.

lorenz0
08-04-2010, 05:44 PM
ya i just did a quick search and it seems like a killer fixture. but i cant find any diamentions for the fixtures. the leds would be so worth it

viperfish
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Here is the link to the Euro site, it's a little more extensive than the North American one http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en/24/Ocean%20Light%20T5%206x%20top/

I couldn't be happier with mine. I think the two features that stand out the most for me are the moonlights and the three piece glass splash cover. It's so easy to pull and clean or to access the bulbs. The hanging kit allows for the fixture to be tilted as well so bulbs can be changed in place.