PDA

View Full Version : plumbing question

pirate
05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
Well I finally got around to drillin my tank yesterday :smile: and now I'm lookng for everything else. I drilled it for 3/4 bulkhead ( because I had them) . I have found some 1 inch pond hose (black). I quess really can I use it instead of rigid tubing? I drilled the tank for a herbie type overflow, will it cause a problem the different sizes? (like noise etc) Or is it better to make everthing the same 3/4 out and 3/4 in?
Thanks

hillegom
05-14-2010, 12:39 AM
Usually the fall to the sump is larger than the return. Gravity drives one and a pump the other. If its not too late could you drill one larger? I guess I should ask how big is the display tank? (DT) How big is the pump?

pirate
05-14-2010, 03:31 AM
55G DT and I have room for a 20 G sump. I just picked up a 750 GPH pump. The LFS sold me 3/4 " bulkheads but now that they are in I found out that they are actually 1 ". I drilled for these bulkheads so they fit but it was a surprise. Is it better to run a PVC/ABS type tube or a flexable hose such as pond hose?

hillegom
05-14-2010, 05:03 PM
With flexible hose you can have a sweeping 90 so the pressure drop is less. But you do not want to put strain onto the bulkhead fitting. Some people heat the flexible line up (don't know how high) to be able to shape it to the angle that you want. When I build my sump thats what I will be doing.