PDA

View Full Version : pistol/goby symbios

josie
05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
I would like to add a pistol (tiger) shrimp...
will my blue-spotted goby (about 3-4inch long) go into symbios with it or do I need to get yellow watchman?

ponokareefer
05-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Typically if they are not already a pair, it is difficult to get them to pair up in captivity, no matter what fish you add. Good luck! I'm curious to find out which fish you try, and if it works.

gobytron
05-13-2010, 08:40 PM
IME, it`s more like than not that a symbiotic goby and a pistol will pair up, eventually if not right away...

I used to take a pop bottle bottom and carefully put the goby, trapped in the bottle right on top of the pistol cave...

3 out of 5 times this would work right away.

I`ve also had tremendous luck by having just the two animals in one of my aquapod 12`s or the 5.5 nano I used to keep.

I find that as long as the two can easily find one another, they would rather pair up than not.
Coolest set up I ever saw for pistol and goby pairing was therealbigals 12 gallon aquapod where he had a mated pair of yasha`s and 3 pistols all living together....though eventually one of the pistols died.

ponokareefer
05-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I used to take a pop bottle bottom and carefully put the goby, trapped in the bottle right on top of the pistol cave...

3 out of 5 times this would work right away.

I`ve also had tremendous luck by having just the two animals in one of my aquapod 12`s or the 5.5 nano I used to keep.

I find that as long as the two can easily find one another, they would rather pair up than not.

Very cool trick. Maybe I'll give a goby a try with my loan pistol shrimp after all.

Flash
05-13-2010, 08:43 PM
I have a tiger pistol and it has paired with a firefish! Then a got a pink spotted goby and it kicked the firefish out... So I kicked the goby out of the tank and into fishoholics... And now thye firefish is back with it's friend!

gobytron
05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
whoah bean.
Throw some pics of that up, it sounds very cool.

gobytron
05-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Very cool trick. Maybe I'll give a goby a try with my loan pistol shrimp after all.

Just make sure to put a piece of LR over top the bottle once it's over the pistol cave so that it doesn't float away before they meet.

doch
05-13-2010, 08:59 PM
I put a yellow watchman goby in my tank, then later a tiger pistol... within 24 hours they were hooked up. I then thought that the watchman died, so I got a Yasha Hashe... within 2 hours the watchman showed up... lol. I got another tiger pistol... the next morning, there were 2 goby/pistol pairs on opposite ends of my tank. Unfortunately for me, the Yasha Hashe went on an exploration mission... on my bookshelf. I'm currently looking for a pair of Red Banded High Fin Gobies.... anyone...???

DiverDude
05-13-2010, 09:00 PM
I put a bulldozer shrimp in my tank and within 24hrs, my Watchman Goby and the Shrimp were best buds.

fishoholic
05-13-2010, 09:09 PM
I have a tiger pistol and it has paired with a firefish! Then a got a pink spotted goby and it kicked the firefish out... So I kicked the goby out of the tank and into fishoholics... And now thye firefish is back with it's friend!

I'm glad your firefish and pistol are ok and back together. The big pink spotted goby is doing good in my tank, he hides most of the time but usually comes out to eat.

josie
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
the tiger pistol shrimp is here!!!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/josee1013/150g/pistol.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/josee1013/150g/pistol1.jpg

got a yellow watchman fiew days ago too.. I'll see if they get along.. or if the shrimp will choose the blue-spoted! :)

josie
05-19-2010, 02:31 PM
found a cool video explaining how the claw works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONQlTMUYCW4

:biggrin:

SeaSerpant
05-28-2010, 01:18 AM
How big is your tank? The bigger the tank the harder it will be for them to notice eachother.

I got a Yasha goby a few weeks before the pistol shrimp. I put the shrimp as near to the yasha as a could. It took about a day before they became a trio! It's interesting to watch, i never see more than 2 of them at a time. If my yasha is out then one shrimp is out and if another shrimp tries to come out the yasha pushes him back in. Then if more than one shimp is out the other shrimp pushes him back in.
It's funny to watch.

Hope this helps
SeaSerpant

bkelly
05-28-2010, 05:13 AM
My pistol shrimp took over my watchman gobys cave and booted him out -had it a few months now, today I had a small peppermint shrimp die and after watching the above video got me thinking it was maybe the pistol shrimp who killed it - I rarely see the pistol shrimp but do feed the cave and hear him click some times. cool guy he chased out a nasty worm today clicking all the way.

josie
05-28-2010, 01:49 PM
saw the blue-spotted in the pistol shrimp cave yesterday :biggrin:

bkelly: sad that you pistol may have kill the peppermint :sad: maybe it's hungry... you could put some food near the cave to feed it?

Gaffer
05-29-2010, 02:44 PM
I had my pistol shrimol eat my sexy shrimp. I was leary about it, but made sure the pistol was well fed.

He has been banished to the basement tank for now.

Andrew