PDA

View Full Version : Insurance in BC?

Milad
05-13-2010, 04:20 AM
What kind of insurance should I be getting in BC to cover a 180g tank? if this thing blows up, and water goes everywhere, how do i make sure im covered?

fsjman
05-13-2010, 04:23 AM
all you have to do is let them know you may get abit of a up charge but it is covered under flood policy lol

Cameron
05-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Are you a home owner, condo owner, or tennant?

zum14
05-13-2010, 07:02 AM
I asked my insurance company about the same thing, all she told me was that if it blew up, they would cover it, but my premiums would go through the roof.

whatcaneyedo
05-13-2010, 01:53 PM
This was also my main concern when I bought tenants insurance. I just told the broker that a loss originating from my aquarium was a concern of mine and she set me up with some insurance to cover it.

zum14
05-13-2010, 02:07 PM
This was also my main concern when I bought tenants insurance. I just told the broker that a loss originating from my aquarium was a concern of mine and she set me up with some insurance to cover it.

So did she set you up with your regular insurance and then a seperate insurance that covers your tank? Or are you basically on the hook for the whole kitten caboodle if the tank goes?

whatcaneyedo
05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I just have some regular tenants insurance with Wawanesa, according to the insurance broker this would cover things like equipment but not livestock following a loss. I never read too far into the details as I dont plan on having a disaster. The insurance is mostly for piece of mind.

zum14
05-13-2010, 03:13 PM
hmm. Well thats who we have our house insurance through so maybe i'll take a page from you and just leave it there. Thanks.

ponokareefer
05-13-2010, 04:14 PM
What kind of insurance should I be getting in BC to cover a 180g tank? if this thing blows up, and water goes everywhere, how do i make sure im covered?

As an insurance broker in Alberta, I'd recommend you contact your insurance broker in BC and explain the entire situation to them, find out what you can and can't get coverage for, and then decide if you want to pay for the coverage they can get you. Your broker is your best bet to find out what exactly your policy covers you for, as each company can vary slightly in what coverage they provide.

Milad
05-13-2010, 07:20 PM
thanks guys
ill contact my insurance broker
it seems the consensus here is, go get/make sure i have insurance!

globaldesigns
05-13-2010, 09:02 PM
I personally just phoned and asked.

I didn't need anything extra, and I am fully covered. Now if one fish dies, why would you make a claim. But if the tank cracks, I have a crash, something BIG, I can make a claim.... On ~$20K invested, believe you/me, I will.

Just make a call, if you have good house/condo insurance you should be good and no extra fees.

Lance
05-13-2010, 11:28 PM
My standard house insurance covers the tank, equipment, and any damage; it does not cover the inhabitants of the tank.