PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower blenny ?????

pirate
05-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Well I'm tired of hand picking all the gha out of my tank, and was thinking about getting a lawnmower blenny. I like the way they look. Now for the questions. My gha is not totaly out of control yet but there is some so how much do I need for the little guy? I also have a pistol shrimp goby pair is this gonna be a problem? The other fish are a bengii and clowns. It's a nice peaceful tank and I want to keep it that way. Or is there some thing better at eating the gha? Crab, snail, what have you!

The tank is a 29g biocube setup as a reef.

I tried serching but could not find the answer I was looking for.

xtreme
05-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Sea Hares are great for mowing down GHA, just make sure you pass it along after he is done cleaning up otherwise it will starve.

Delphinus
05-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Lawnmower blennies are mostly after the film algae that grows on rock and glass, and are usually not very useful for filamentous algae control. There might be the occasional one who'll eat it but it's more the exception than the rule. Usually what you see when you have a lawnmower blenny is kiss marks on the glass as they rasp the glass clean of the film on it..

infamous
05-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Turbo snails will do the trick as well. You'll probably need 3-5 of them and they're about $5 each. They'll clean your glass well too and you won't have to pass them on, but they will take longer to clean up the hair algae than the sea hare! I have a Lawnmower Blenny and he does a pretty good job of munching on the algae and they're fairly effective for hair algae. The only problem I have with him is that he does pick on my Diamond Goby a bit. They are a fairly peaceful fish though and will most definitely go well with the other fish that you have. The LB have a lot of personality and you'll most likely enjoy him. I don't have any experience with the Pistol Shrimp though. Good luck with the algae!

ponokareefer
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Lawnmower blennies are mostly after the film algae that grows on rock and glass, and are usually not very useful for filamentous algae control. There might be the occasional one who'll eat it but it's more the exception than the rule. Usually what you see when you have a lawnmower blenny is kiss marks on the glass as they rasp the glass clean of the film on it..

I was going to post, but Delphinus took the words out of my mouth.

BlueWorldAquatic
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
Dragon Goby or Mexican Turbo Snails

pirate
05-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Well my snails just dont want to eat it any more. I have 3 turbo snails and 3 nassirus (spelling) and had 5 hermit crabs. Perhaps I'll give the LB a shot. even if he eats just a bit of it that would be good. If he onlys kisses the glass at least that part of the glass would be clean.

project37
05-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Dragon Goby or Mexican Turbo Snails

+ 1 I have had great luck with the Dragon Goby but he does spread sand all over the lower rock.

sunce_22
05-13-2010, 12:25 AM
I second Turbo Snails. I have a 15G that went out of control on GHA almost over night it seemed.

I added 3 of these little guys and my rocks were perfect clean in about a week and half!