PDA

View Full Version : UltraLife Reef Products Red Slime Remover

Jason McK
10-31-2003, 09:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used it. And if they have any words of advise?

J

Chad
10-31-2003, 10:40 PM
I used "Chemi'Clean" loved it.. killed all my cyno in 48 hours..

Chad

kari
11-01-2003, 01:11 AM
Way back I used it once and had no ill effects. Yet I did not have any sps at the time.

Bob I
11-01-2003, 01:14 AM

Chad

I echo that. :biggrin:

ABreefkpr
11-01-2003, 01:57 AM

Chad

Who makes "ChemiClean"?

Keith

StirCrazy
11-01-2003, 02:12 AM
foir all you that have used it sucessfully, can you list what was in your tank at the time oif use and if you had any losses at all? no mater how insignificant they might be.

Steve

Bob I
11-01-2003, 02:34 AM
foir all you that have used it sucessfully, can you list what was in your tank at the time oif use and if you had any losses at all? no mater how insignificant they might be.

SteveTo answer the first part of your question;NO, and the second part; no losses of any kind except the Cyano. :biggrin:

Bob I
11-01-2003, 02:36 AM

Chad

Who makes "ChemiClean"?

Keith

Boyd Enterprises, the makers of Chemi-Pure.

Jason McK
11-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Were can you get Chemi'Clean in Vancouver? I have not seen it

J

reefburnaby
11-01-2003, 03:12 AM
Hi,

J&L carries Chemi-clear. Its a potent form of an oxidizer and it seems to work well. Keep in mind that oxidizers will quickly convert your water from a nutrient rich...to nutrient less. So, if you have corals that thrive on the high nutrient water...the quick change to nutrientless water may be a problem (SPS are a prime example). I have used it before and it seems to work, but I would keep a close eye on overflowing skimmers (yah...happen to me :))

- Victor.

Chad
11-01-2003, 03:26 AM
Were can you get Chemi'Clean in Vancouver? I have not seen it

J

J&L carries it

Chad
11-01-2003, 03:38 AM

Steve

Lets see, at the time I had,

Frogspawn, some leather, toadstool, lots of zoo's, xiena, GSP, sponges..

No ill effects, I noticed a difference in the cyno at about 12 hours... by the 24th hour it was almost non-existant.. at 48 hours I did a water change, turned the skimmer back on and since then not a single cyno problem.

Its my understanding that you can have perfect water quality and get a "cyno" infection. It litteraly draws what it needs from the air. Using Chemi-Clean was the last resort but I am so happy I did it and would recommend it to anyone who has exausted all other possible problems that could cause cyno to use this product.

I would also say.. follow the directions on the package very carefuly. Since it does destroy some of your good bacteria you need to use the right dosage.

Chad

DiscusZ
11-01-2003, 02:19 PM
I used the redslime remover once.. only had LR, Fish and an Aneome.. everything worked out fine for me...

Before using the redslime remover I left lights off for 24 hours or so, then added RSR. 48 hours lated.. clean.. did some water changes, and watched my skimmer as it went nutz.

Jim

www.hribnak.com/reef.html (Has some old pics of my tank before the disaster in July., also has a live webcam on the tank as well)

Jason McK
11-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Just to follow up.
I used Red Slime remover Friday at 9:PM.
It recommends 1 spoon (provided) for every 15G. I have a 75G tank with 100lbs LR and a 3-5" DSB
I used 3 spoons totaling 45G
It gave my tank a neon green hue, while under Actinics.
The following morning the green hue was still present
There were no signs of stress to anything.
The MH came on and the clams all extended well and all Coral seemed normal
Green hue still present Saturday night at 9:00pm
Worms and Pod activity normal after lights out
Sunday Morning no green hue and no Red slime
I will perform a 15% water change and siphon all remains today

It is recommended to does again after 48 hours. I will not.

Just thought I would update

J

Bob I
11-02-2003, 07:02 PM
Just as a matter of info, I did a metasearch on Cyanobacter, and had 49 returns. Dr. Ron was one of them, and provided this link
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanointro.html. It was interesting reading.
I also recall some time ago there was a paper by someone who claimed to have the cure using Potassium Permangenate. Unfortunately I have lost this link.
However, if one has nothing to do there is some interesting reading out there. At least as interesting as reading all the stuff on sandbeds on ReefCentral.

:rolleyes: