PDA

View Full Version : Slowing water into sump

Rogue951
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone have an idea on how to slow the water entering the sump, more specifically stop it from bubbling like mad?
I used a sock before but it caught a lot of pods and I don't want that happening.

I have 1" PVC running from a overflow in the tank down to the sump. a drop of about 2 feet. I've bought some 90 degree elbows and have tried randomly turning the water in different directions but the mad rush of bubbles persists.

I'm trying to reduce the spray from the bursting bubbles because it's getting salt everywhere.

JonT
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM
Few ways to deal with this. Either way, your going to get bubbles if you are either breaking the surface of the water, or you have air in the drain line.

Bubble towers work great. Grab a 4" piece (bit taller than the Sump) of PVC and a 3" piece(couple inches shorter than the water line). You want a 1 - 2 inch solid bottom. This will stop the water from simply flowing under it. Above that 1-2 inches, drill/cut openings. The holes need to be lower than the 3" piece of PVC.

Drop the 3 inch on the bottom of the sump. Slide the 4" piece with its holes over that, and stick the drain line into the middle. This creates a baffle system. The salt spray will stay contained in the 4" piece.

Or, the easier way (not the quietest way) is to put a T in the drain line right at the surface of the water level. One end goes down to the sump, and one goes out horizontal. This gives the bubbles a spot to run out. Most will pop in the horizontal run if it is long enough. Some will still be going out the bottom, but not as many.

Or, go with the Herbie method that uses a siphon. There is no air in the drain line, thus no bubbles. And dead quiet.

fishytime
05-11-2010, 04:47 PM
Few ways to deal with this. Either way, your going to get bubbles if you are either breaking the surface of the water, or you have air in the drain line.

Bubble towers work great. Grab a 4" piece (bit taller than the Sump) of PVC and a 3" piece(couple inches shorter than the water line). You want a 1 - 2 inch solid bottom. This will stop the water from simply flowing under it. Above that 1-2 inches, drill/cut openings. The holes need to be lower than the 3" piece of PVC.

Drop the 3 inch on the bottom of the sump. Slide the 4" piece with its holes over that, and stick the drain line into the middle. This creates a baffle system. The salt spray will stay contained in the 4" piece.

Or, the easier way (not the quietest way) is to put a T in the drain line right at the surface of the water level. One end goes down to the sump, and one goes out horizontal. This gives the bubbles a spot to run out. Most will pop in the horizontal run if it is long enough. Some will still be going out the bottom, but not as many.

Or, go with the Herbie method that uses a siphon. There is no air in the drain line, thus no bubbles. And dead quiet.

good advice there except for one tiny detail........"herbie" method is not a siphon......it is purely a gravity feed........like your bathtub.....thats why its pretty much "fail-safe":wink:

JonT
05-11-2010, 04:52 PM
good advice there except for one tiny detail........"herbie" method is not a siphon......it is purely a gravity feed........like your bathtub.....thats why its pretty much "fail-safe":wink:

Okay, modified Herbie method AKA BeAnAnimal. This will move a ton of water, and do it dead quiet.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx