PDA

View Full Version : BRS Shipping Fees Excessive

viperfish
05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
I was ordering a two part dosing kit from BRS for $69.95 and the shipping and tax is $63.25! That's insane! I just ordered a 48" T5 fixture from another US vendor and the tax/shipping/brokerage only came to $108. I'm thinking somebody is getting screwed and it certainly isn't the vendor!

Jason McK
05-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Shipping is done by weight plus BRS hides the brokerage fees in the shipping.

I'm sure if you where to buy something of equal size and weight anywhere else it would be close to the price you pay at BRS

J

JonT
05-11-2010, 02:47 PM
They don't hide it, they tell you that they are doing it.

They make sure that once you pay them, your done. Nothing extra at the door.

I recently partook in a group buy, and was quite happy with shipping/taxes etc. Everything was packed well. Extra care was given to things that could get broken. I would recommend them to anyone, and will place future orders when I run out of stuff.

reefermadness
05-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I find shipping to be quite high when ordering one or two items...but ordering a bit more doesnt change the price much. SO...I only place one or two large orders a year.

JonT
05-11-2010, 03:24 PM
I find shipping to be quite high when ordering one or two items...but ordering a bit more doesnt change the price much. SO...I only place one or two large orders a year.

I didn't look at the one or two item side to this. My order was fairly large (Just ask my wife when she saw the invoice.... No way I could convince her it was only $20 this time!) So, I guess I was doing alright with my "bracket" of weight/goods.

snarkys
05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi,
I hate shipping, taxes and brokerage as much as the next guy however they are real charges that have to be dealt with. Please keep in mind we are located in the US so this is an international transaction. To be clear not only do we not overcharge Canadians on this we loose money on the shipping, tax and brokerage charges.
On the charges
1) The item you are looking at is around 40 pounds which makes it expensive to ship
2) There is a 15% tax which covers the GST , PST and duties to the province where the shipments originally arrive. We charge this on our site and prepay it so it arrives on your doorstep without additional charges and surprise fees. We feel this is the most honest hassle free way of doing business with our customers
3) By shipping all of the packages together on Friday we are able to take part of a program that lowers the brokerage fees enough that we are willing to pay them for you out of our own pockets. For example typical brokerage fees on a $200 package with fed ex or UPS would be almost $50 so this is a huge savings.
I hope this answers your questions

snarkys
05-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I was ordering a two part dosing kit from BRS for $69.95 and the shipping and tax is $63.25! That's insane! I just ordered a 48" T5 fixture from another US vendor and the tax/shipping/brokerage only came to $108. I'm thinking somebody is getting screwed and it certainly isn't the vendor!

BTW I doubt the light weighed significantly more than the box of heavy salts you are purchasing so our $63.25 verses their $108 should be pretty fair once tax are factored in. Certainly not drastically off . In other instances where a vendor charges less than us for these things it is because they are breaking international law by misrepresenting the value of the items . We are unable to break laws like this because everyone here would prefer to stay out of jail : )

fencer
05-11-2010, 03:56 PM
do you ship USPS?

snarkys
05-11-2010, 04:05 PM
No but believe me we would do it if it made sense at all. USPS has a variety of issues from both customer and business standpoints. We are trying to find a way to let the customer have the best of both worlds.

1) USPS often charges more for postage than other services but the low brokerage fees make up for this. If there are no brokerage fees it simply costs more. Since we pay your brokerage fees for you USPS is more expensive in almost all cases.

2) USPS's tracking is next to worthless. Most the time it only says it left here and then updates that it has been delivered. This is no help when you are trying to figure out when a package is going to arrive. It also doesn't help when the package got held by customs and it has been two weeks with no delivery ...

3) Our experience is USPS is really unreliable. One shipment will arrive really fast and another shipped on the same day mysteriously takes three weeks. This can be pretty distressing it if is your new $500 skimmer.

4) International packages over a certain weight need to be hand delivered to a post office employee, this is typically all of our packages. Sometimes the wait there is 10 minutes and sometimes it is an hour, Most businesses simply don’t have time for this type of shinanigins.

5) the USPS’s API for integrating their shipping costs into a websites calculator is poor at best. Often results in the customer being both drastically over and under billed because of limited weight and box size options. It is also incapable of telling you that this item is to heavy or to large to be shipped with USPS

6) They also have size and weight limitations. USPS doesn’t take packages over approximately 2 cubic feet which isn’t that big and certainly doesn’t lend itself to our “bulk packaged” idea.

lastlight
05-11-2010, 04:28 PM
No complaints here. I'm a happy customer and will continue to come back. Always felt like prices were fair and yeah...it's shipped from the US too.

viperfish
05-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Don't get me wrong here people, I'm not complaining about the products. I have BRS products and love them. I just entered the one product and shipping/tax/brokerage cost scared the crap out of me. I guess I have to try different quantities until I find the "sweet spot". I do think UPS are a bunch of crooks taking advantage of people shipping things across the border and that has nothing to do with BRS or any other reputable dealer from the US, it's just a time proven fact. About a year ago I ordered a $25 part for my laptop and UPS charged me $25 at the door before they would hand it over, I have been chapped ever since.

fencer
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't agree withsome of your reasons for not using USPS. In many times UPS is even slower. I have recieve parcels in many shapes and weight and every time USPS has delivered and is cheaper than UPS.I think you should give a the consumer a choice.

mark
05-11-2010, 08:06 PM
After being hoses a couple of times with UPS brokerage fees when shipping from the States, I mostly buy Canadian now and if need to go through the States I'll only deal with a supplier that will ship USPS. If supplier only deals with UPS, I'll just find another company.

(guess bit of a hijack since never ordered fr BRS (and since no USPS guess never will))

intarsiabox
05-12-2010, 12:03 AM
I have to agree about only dealing with companies in the US that ship USPS. I have been getting orders (not just fish stuff) shipped for years with USPS and have never had a single problem and it is much cheaper as brokerage rates are usually around 50% of the product value and has nothing to do with weight. General freight prices are also cheaper than UPS and Fedex before brokerage is even added on. I ordered (2) 24" 4 bulb T5 light fixtures from florida and shipping was only $23 for both units. A year or so ago I tried buying a JBJ nano cube but the company would only send via Fedex, shipping was around $50.00 but then I got a bill in the mail for $250 for brokerage. Luckily Fedex smashed the tank to pieces so they had to take it back. I'll admit that it sometimes takes up to 2 weeks to get the product but the delay seems to usually be caused by canadian customs and canada post (which seems to be getting very slow). I have cheap scotsman friend who flys model airplanes and he only buys with USPS as well and has been doing so for 30 years without issue but has saved a ton of cash in that period of time.

Lance
05-12-2010, 12:19 AM
I've ordered from numerous American sites and have found BRS rates to be more than fair compared to others. International shipping is just plain expensive; there's no way around it.

DiverDude
05-12-2010, 12:38 AM
As someone who spent 10 years importing and exporting from/to the US and around the world, I can tell you what Snarkys is telling you is straight up. Cross-border shipping is truly a nightmare thanks to our respective governments.

You need to expect to pay a brokerage fee (~$50) and applicable tax and, possibly, duty on anything you buy in the US. USPS won't charge brokerage but I've been charged a lesser 'processing' fee and their tracking is seriously a joke and there is no insurance worth talking about. You are taking a chance shipping with them and I've had both good and very bad experiences.

In the end, due to volumes and tax laws, you can sometimes find better pricing in the US but you need to consider all factors before you buy. Sometimes, even though it will cost you a few bucks more, it's a lot simpler to buy locally. If ever there's a problem with anything, it's a lot quicker/simpler and cheaper to resolve.

Sorry you got a shock but I wouldn't blame the seller -they're already going a lot farther to make your life easy that most US companies would.

Ron99
05-12-2010, 12:47 AM
And try shipping anything out of Canada. You will pay even more. I used to import alot of products and I could take any package I would get from Japan or Europe and the cost to ship the exact same package back was always about double. Canada Post is ridiculous.

Although, I do have to say that what UPS charges for brokerage is criminal considering that it is probably 10 minutes of work filling in some forms and a bit of accounting for the taxes and duties collected. I always used to do my own Customs clearing of UPS packages as it was worth an hour of my time to do so (most of that hour was spent driving back and forth between the UPS depot and the customs office and then waiting 20 to 30 minutes to pay my taxes after spending the 5 to 10 minutes to fill in the forms).

Funky_Fish14
05-12-2010, 01:49 AM
I ordered a booster pump from there for around $100 and I think shipping and brokerage and tax and all that crap was like $40 bucks? The only problem was the box was smashed and the pump had some scratches and a bent bracket. Otherwise I thought the price was ok. It was nice to not get a letter in the mail a month later saying I owned a million dollars in brokerage.

Spiny
05-23-2010, 10:59 PM
personally before I order anything from the US, I compare the prices with canadian businesses. When and only when it's less expensive in the US do I order there. Most of the time I go local, except with BRS... for some reason their prices are stilll competitive after brokerage and shipping. Keep it up BRS!

dankent
05-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Same ... and agree about the USPS tracking ... Canpost is the same ... I like the fact that the shipment comes and i dont need to scramble for cash to cover duty/ brokerage ... and UPS gets it through the border faster then USPS/Canpost ... in every instance i have ordered from US and shipped USPS i allways waited a couple + days longer then UPS deliveries.

Binare
10-31-2010, 02:55 PM
How are you charging for gst and pst without having a number? Where exactly does that money go? Will my invoice include your gst/pst numbers? I didn't think a non canadian company could register for those numbers.

fencer
10-31-2010, 04:23 PM
The brokerage company charges the GST

cale262
10-31-2010, 04:33 PM
I've ordered allot of things from the US (not BRS) but I refuse to use UPS, I have had nothing but bad experiences using them, USPS has always been much better, If the US company I'm ordering from wont use USPS, DHL or even Fedex, I just find somewhere else to order from.

fencer
10-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I am not sure why BRS does not want to use USPS. They don't say why either...correct me if I am wrong

Myka
10-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I won't order anything from the US unless the vendor will ship via USPS as well. I was burned with a $64 UPS brokerage bill 3 months after receiving a $110 used skimmer. HOWEVER, Bulk Reef Supply is the exception! I have received many orders from BRS that are shipped via UPS, and BRS has always taken care of the UPS brokerage fees. I find their shipping is rather reasonable in comparison to other companies in the US, and their prices are often lower than Canadian companies as long as I order several items at a time. Keep in mind our dollar it pretty much on the par right now, so that helps BRS look even better.

personally before I order anything from the US, I compare the prices with canadian businesses. When and only when it's less expensive in the US do I order there. Most of the time I go local, except with BRS... for some reason their prices are stilll competitive after brokerage and shipping. Keep it up BRS!

That's exactly what I do. I also don't order any electrical products from the US because it is too costly to ship back for warranty issues. If you buy a US product it is warrantied in the US.

I am not sure why BRS does not want to use USPS. They don't say why either...correct me if I am wrong

Page 1, post #9. It was you in fact that asked why no USPS, and snarkys (BRS) replied to you. :D

StirCrazy
10-31-2010, 05:21 PM
Everything I order from the US is shipped USPS. I ordered 12 bucks of trial LEDs from one company who shipeed them UPS and when they got to my door they wanted 35 bucks in brokerage fees. I simplily refused the shipment and called the company and explained the problem and that it was requested to be sent USPS. they got the item back and turned around and shiped USPS and it cost me 5 bucks.

as for tracking I just recived two parcles from UPS and there tracking system is no better. one said it was out fro delivery and I got it that day. the other one was still in onterio and I got it at 10 am. I have actualy found the tracking with USPS very good and consistant but I imagin there are just as many problems as any other company.

USPS/Canada post do charge brokerage fees but they it is a 5 buck processing fee, and as for the actual freight charge they are generly 1/2 the price of UPS for equivalent weight. time wise, USPS is longer than UPS but not by much.. two day UPS to canada doesnt happen as it is held up at the boarder for up to a week. USPS is generaly 5 to 8 working days, so if your not in a hurry you can save a lot of money over UPS. 30 buck minimum per shipment in brokerage fees alone.

I don't like it when companies automaticly charge duty and taxes also, as most of the stuff we buy there is no duty on, and we only pay provincial taxes over a specific amount. so there most of the time colecting this money which you don't need to pay. so do they return it to you?? I doubt it. for example, there is no duty on products that are "Made in the USA".
a good example is I ordered 2500.00 worth of parts for my truck from the US. when I got here I had to pay 25 buck in taxes/duty on it. if a company automaticly took 15% for "taxes and duty" that would be 375.00 so now that company just put 350.00 in there pocket. now even if all the stuff was from signapor in BC you would pay 12% plus duty, but only cuz we have the HST. last year it would have been 6% alberta will pay no taxes and only duty, ect....

Steve

phi delt reefer
11-01-2010, 02:02 AM
I don't like it when companies automaticly charge duty and taxes also, as most of the stuff we buy there is no duty on, and we only pay provincial taxes over a specific amount. so there most of the time colecting this money which you don't need to pay. so do they return it to you?? I doubt it. for example, there is no duty on products that are "Made in the USA".
a good example is I ordered 2500.00 worth of parts for my truck from the US. when I got here I had to pay 25 buck in taxes/duty on it. if a company automaticly took 15% for "taxes and duty" that would be 375.00 so now that company just put 350.00 in there pocket. now even if all the stuff was from signapor in BC you would pay 12% plus duty, but only cuz we have the HST. last year it would have been 6% alberta will pay no taxes and only duty, ect....

Steve

+1 - USPS brokerage is the most reasonable. UPS automatically bills a ridiculous brokerage fee no matter what the item. As for duty - I always check the rules before ordering anything and deal with the brokerage myself and request usps delivery. If UPS is the only option I don't bother unless the savings are too good to let up (this is usually the cases with watches).

As for BRS, I live by the border so I pay a small continental US shipping charge, then drive 45 minutes to pick up the items. Most of the stuff i order is duty free.

If you guys and girls are just looking for their bulk stuff (ie. gfo, carbon, calc, etc.) there is a place in guelph, ontario (http://www.reefrocks.ca/aquarium-products.ca/) that re-sells their stuff. Its about the same price as BRS's preferred rate and they have a flat shipping charge for all of Canada.

globaldesigns
11-01-2010, 02:38 AM
I don't know about fish stuff, but I have ordered quite a bit of computer stuff from the US. I get it shipped USPS (United States Postal Service). It didn't matter what it was, but it was like only $5 total for customs/brokerage on every item I did, plus the shipping cost.

Fed Ex, Puralator, DHL just plain rip you off!

paddyob
11-01-2010, 03:18 AM
I knew my shipping charge at time of order. SO I was not surprised. If you look in the shipping area on the web page they explain how it works.

Very happy with the quick service and charges were reasonable to me.

fencer
11-01-2010, 04:53 AM
I checked USPS.com and UPS.com. The delivery for a 2cubic ft 40lb package is the same. Where it differs is the brokerage fee for UPS which is almost the cost of shipping. I have shipped many things from the states and lost 2 out 400+ shipments. I still think they should offer USPS...but its their store

Binare
11-01-2010, 05:27 AM
The brokerage company charges the GST

But BRS is also charging PST, which I do not pay being In alberta. A lot of the products are duty free as well, quick search of the tariff will show that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to order a 2 part kit along with a couple pumps. All of which is duty free, just trying to understand where the extra ten percent is going.

mark
11-01-2010, 05:34 AM
But BRS is also charging PST, which I do not pay being In alberta. A lot of the products are duty free as well, quick search of the tariff will show that.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to order a 2 part kit along with a couple pumps. All of which is duty free, just trying to understand where the extra ten percent is going.

maybe like the scam Canada Post has going. I sent a package to BC (fr Alberta) and had to pay their tax.

StirCrazy
11-01-2010, 06:00 PM
maybe like the scam Canada Post has going. I sent a package to BC (fr Alberta) and had to pay their tax.

were you a business selling somthing to some one in BC?

If so they collect the HST for the BC goverment, this was brough in because to many peple were buying stuff from alberta and having it shipped to BC to avoid taxes. just like we used to get my mom to buy stuff from the sears or brick in edmonton and set to pick up to victoria so we could save on the taxes :mrgreen: can't do that either anymore.

Steve

michika
11-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I have to say I like knowing my upfront cost when I order with BRS. I also feel a twinge or two when I see the shipping/brokerage fees, but I just solve it by making large orders to justify the shipping.

lastlight
11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah I do the same but I just did a test checkout for when I start buying the additives by the 5g pail and OUCH it was like $300 to ship the four pails.

dsaundry
11-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately some companies do incorporate brokerage fees and tax's all at once and yes it's expensive. I live close to the border and pick up in the U.S.A. and bring it back myself. Not everybody can do this..I know but it works well for me. As for BRS shipping policies I guess the old saying applies, if you don't like it-go elswhere.

michika
11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Yeah I do the same but I just did a test checkout for when I start buying the additives by the 5g pail and OUCH it was like $300 to ship the four pails.

I think we need a bulk BRS order.

fencer
11-02-2010, 01:28 AM
request USPS see what happens

Bryan
11-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I have ordered a number of times from BRS and believe me you are getting a fair deal with their shipping rates. UPS is going to ding you with brokerage fees, duty and taxes + disbursement fees etc.
http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html#Entry+Preparation+Charges

Shipping has gone up considerably over the last 2 years that USPS is often now much more expensive than UPS, and you are still going to pay the taxes and duty + $5.00 for a customs fee.

No complaints from me with BRS shipping fees.

Hi,
I hate shipping, taxes and brokerage as much as the next guy however they are real charges that have to be dealt with. Please keep in mind we are located in the US so this is an international transaction. To be clear not only do we not overcharge Canadians on this we loose money on the shipping, tax and brokerage charges.
On the charges
1) The item you are looking at is around 40 pounds which makes it expensive to ship
2) There is a 15% tax which covers the GST , PST and duties to the province where the shipments originally arrive. We charge this on our site and prepay it so it arrives on your doorstep without additional charges and surprise fees. We feel this is the most honest hassle free way of doing business with our customers
3) By shipping all of the packages together on Friday we are able to take part of a program that lowers the brokerage fees enough that we are willing to pay them for you out of our own pockets. For example typical brokerage fees on a $200 package with fed ex or UPS would be almost $50 so this is a huge savings.
I hope this answers your questions