PDA

View Full Version : coral picture newbie

Aqua-Digital
05-10-2010, 11:37 PM
Hiya

Well time has come i have to learn how to take those eye candy shots :) But I think my poor old Canon S50 is lacking the ability to take decent close ups and with true colouration. My offerings in my forum are testiment to this.

So here i am hoping I can find out what i need in terms of camera and settings to join the eye candy club of can Reef ;)

I looked today at some cameras but even in the store when trying to focus under macro through glass i got the sme results as I do with my 7 year old S50 :(

Help :redface:

fishytime
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I take all my close ups and top-downs with a relatively inexpensive underwater digital.....trick there is keeping your hands steady while they are in an awkward position in the tank:wink:

JonT
05-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Hiya

Well time has come i have to learn how to take those eye candy shots :) But I think my poor old Canon S50 is lacking the ability to take decent close ups and with true colouration. My offerings in my forum are testiment to this.

So here i am hoping I can find out what i need in terms of camera and settings to join the eye candy club of can Reef ;)

I looked today at some cameras but even in the store when trying to focus under macro through glass i got the sme results as I do with my 7 year old S50 :(

Help :redface:

Trick is to use a timer (I use the built in that comes with most camera's) and a solid tripod. This will let you shoot without a flash. From there, you just need to play around. I have done lots of stuff for the heck of it. I bought a stack of expansion rings on Ebay (really cheap ones...) but I like having fun with my stock lens. You can get shots like this from the 18-55 lens.

Micro star (about 1/4") on the glass early morning. No lights on in the tank. Just sunlight in the room.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e328/Jammor/Expansion%20tube/Microstar2.jpg

o.c.d.
08-14-2010, 12:54 PM
when going through glass you should use a polarized lens that screws on to the end of the lens. I'm talking about a DSLR camera though. If you are looking at cameras then you need to make your first choice, quality point and soot camera (maybe waterproof) or DSLR. If you choose the dslr it is not so much the camera as the lens. this is where it gets expensive. My one macro lens is about the same price as my camera body.
I use both point and shoot and dslr, The dslr cannot go the same places as the waterproof so pros and cons to both but if high quality photos (printable) photos are what you need dslr all the way.If you want to just post photos you can get really good pics with a point and shoot.
WARNING! DSLR combined with reefing = more addictive behavior this time in a camera shop.

christyf5
08-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Frankly, I believe that with some tweaking and reading of the manual you can likely get "eye candy" shots with your SD50. It probably has many more features than the newer models (which they seem to offer less and less features as they "upgrade" models, the only thing you really get is higher resolution and increased pixels which really don't mean much if you're only posting them on the internet. Try playing with the white balance and invest in a tripod.

Then again buying new toys is fun too :wink: