PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing into the basement

burblecut
05-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Alright,
So I have my Display tank on the main floor of my house. It's nothing huge, just a 72 gallon bowfront.

In the near future I would like to plumb my sump in the basement. The issue is my tank is in the center of my main floor, and I would like to have my sump in the corner where my fish room will be. I will need 23' of pvp to get it there.

What size of pvp should I use? 1"? 2"? Flex pvc? pvc pipe?
What pump should I buy? I know I will need one with a good amount of head ratio, but I also need one that won't kill me in electric bills. Any suggestions?
I would say my pvc pipe will go up 3' from my sump, then straight for a good 20', then I will have a 90 degree elbow, 2'of pvc, then another elbow, 1' of pvc, another elbow to the tank.

How do I even go about calculating head with that? How many ball valves and other valves would you recommend?

thanks for the help!

Chin_Lee
05-10-2010, 08:31 PM
I have the same set up with 24' of flex pvc. I use two 1.5" for drain and one 1" for pump return. for return pump i use a barracuda - gives enough good flow for my lps tank that I don't have any other pumps in my display tank.
for your drains, if you decide to do herbie method, make sure you put the gate valves upstairs about feet under your drain. Its easier to control than if you were to put the gate valve down at the sump.

burblecut
05-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the advice Chin. What model of Barracuda is it? Is there a specific reason why you run a 1" pvc on the return and a 1.5" on the intake?
Thanks again

Dez
05-10-2010, 09:04 PM
I would go the largest you can go on the output of your pump to reduce head pressure. I would also go flex pvc or use 45 elbows instead of 90 degree elbows. As for pump size if Chin is using a Barracuda with success, that would probably be a good choice - they are fairly efficient. I'm running a 6000 gph Reeflo Blackfin 6000 that uses about 300 watts (or just under). I'm running several tanks and my skimmer with that one pump though from my basement with the sump directly on the ground. Hope this helps.

burblecut
05-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks Dez,
What size of flex are you using? and where did you get it in Edmonton?

I saw your setup a month ago while getting some frags..best setup I've seen yet!

Your right, I'll go with 45 angles

Rogue951
05-10-2010, 11:30 PM
don't forget to make sure you have a BIG sump cause those pipes will hold a lot of water that will want to come back down if the pump shuts off.

Dez
05-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Gregg Distributor's is where I got my flex line. I'm sure you can go to any hot tub place but it's pretty cheap at Gregg's. You can buy it buy the foot. There is one in the West End and one in the south. +1 for the large sump. I have a 100 gallon sump, go as big as you can. I was going to go with one of those Rubbermaid Trough bins but found the sump used for cheap. I would overpower the pump cause you can always throttle it back on the output. With the Reeflo pumps you actually use less energy when you throttle 'em back. Hope this helps.

mark
05-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Running 2-2" drains and then 1.5" for the return from my Barracuda to bottom of display.

The 2-2" are lots but thinking moving to a Herbie so would be only using 1 drain but still have lots to play with. Reason thinking Herbie is though upstairs is quiet with the twin Dursos, can really heard the gurgling in the drains lines (no air with a Herbie, no noise).

I used a combination of flex and rigid PVC on the lines partly as easier for routing but on the return line I used the flex to give me large radius sweeps to get away from the loss with a sharp 90° coupler.

Treebeard
05-11-2010, 04:45 PM
I am considering moving my tank and re-plumbing a different corner in my basement. I currently used solid PVC to the basement. How do you attach fittings to flex PVC?

mark
05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I am considering moving my tank and re-plumbing a different corner in my basement. I currently used solid PVC to the basement. How do you attach fittings to flex PVC?

the Spaflex uses the same couplers are for rigid PVC. There is a special glue but I asked around at a hottub manufacturer and a Spa repair place and they both just used the regular PVC glues and primers.

donlite
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
If you type in google Pump Head Loss Calculator they have a free very good calculator that allows you take into account every possible combination, Don:idea: