PDA

View Full Version : Purple Reef Lobster Safe?

4lti7ude
05-09-2010, 07:11 PM
I picked up a purple reef lobster from Ocean City yesterday. I was told it is reef safe and it was housed with sexy shrimp, Cleaners, and Boxers and they were all not being eaten.

Thing is I just read that they might still try to eat the fish in my tank.
Anyone ever keep a PRL before?

20Gallon Tall with lots of rock.
Clown Fish
Tail Spot Blenny
Blue Legged Hermit
Cleaner Shrimp? (Haven't seen him for a while since I added new rock)

These are the only fish in there with him. I only plan to pick up maybe 2-3 more small fish in the future.

68shelby
05-09-2010, 07:29 PM
I have one, and he does eat shrimp, crabs and slow moving fish. That being said it is not as bad as it sounds. I can usually keep shrimps for quite a while, sometimes years. the crabs I dont care about they go missing a couple a month the smarter ones have been in there for almost 3 years. But I dont buy any slow moving fish anymore. no mandarins, no blennies, and no definitely no clams. And he does bother the corals at all. The rest of my fish are fine with him tangs, clowns, damsels, chromis antheis

viperfish
05-10-2010, 12:55 AM
I had one, they grow really fast and grow very large. Mine would try to attack my fish while they were settled in for the night. They are very cool but watch it closely.

Seamazter
05-10-2010, 01:10 AM
Dont be too worried about what everyone is saying about your lobster.
The owner of ocean-city is positive they are reefsafe.
I myself have read online that they can be not reefsafe, but as you see he houses them with the shrimps and he himself wouldnt do that if they were not.

Go with this advice.
Everything can be unsafe at anytime, some angels, some butterflys and other reletivily reefsafe fish can at a moments notice wreck your tank overnite if they get the feeling to start to eat corals and other items.

I can for sure say that the owner of oceans wouldnt try to sell you a unsafe critter, because infact if it does destroy your tank he would loose a customer, and for a 40$ lobster it wouldnt be wise on his side.

I have seen hermit crabs eating a live starfish, this would mean that all hermit crabs are unsafe.

Dont listen to the majority, most are just speaking from passed down knowlage.

globaldesigns
05-10-2010, 03:39 AM
I have had one since the beginning, still fairly small. Kinda a waste of money, as he never comes out, sometimes you can sneak a peak at him, but personally for me a waste of $$$$

fishytime
05-10-2010, 04:47 AM
great lfs advice:mrgreen:

naesco
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
great lfs advice:mrgreen:

+1
In a 20 gallon everything will be breakfast. I would return the lobster if I were you.

4lti7ude
05-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Well its been a couple days and hes made a little hiding spot in the corner at the back. I can see him too, which at least makes him a little enjoyable.
Haven't seen him ever leave there, and I am in front of my tank all day.

Hes come out to grab bits of brine shrimp that come back there, but so far hes left the Blenny and Clown alone.
They both sleep in a hole at the very top of the tank. The lobster doesn't seem to be able to get up.

Does anyone know a trap for him tho?
I was thinking of the bottle with a string on the end, but I don't know what to bait it with.
I cant seem to find anything online to much about this lobster either.
Will a boiled shrimp work?

Zoaelite
05-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Don't listen to the majority, most are just speaking from passed down knowlage.

It's knowledge and "I myself have read online that they can be not reef safe" is speaking from... passed down knowlage :lol:.

I think your fastest bet if you really want to take him out is by going in and getting him, in a 20g tank it shouldn't be to hard at all. In a larger tank I would consider him reef-safeish but in a 20g your just asking for trouble. It sucks, there such sweet looking additions to the tank.

mark
05-11-2010, 08:25 PM
great lfs advice:mrgreen:Alway trust the kid at the LFS. I'm still kicking myself I didn't pick up that nice little Sweetlips for my 75g (small point they grow to 3')

fishoholic
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Here's some info I was reading about them not being reef safe, there is also a trap idea at the end of page 3 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162591&st=0

4lti7ude
05-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Here's some info I was reading about them not being reef safe, there is also a trap idea at the end of page 3 http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=162591&st=0

Hahahah oO, I read that whole thread last night.
Too bad theirs no end to it!
They never mentiotion if they catch it or not!

Thanks for the link tho, this is how I got the bottle idea.
Anyone know if they will eat boiled shrimp?
If not I guess ill just have to catch him...

fishoholic
05-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Hahahah oO, I read that whole thread last night.
Too bad theirs no end to it!
They never mentiotion if they catch it or not!

Thanks for the link tho, this is how I got the bottle idea.
Anyone know if they will eat boiled shrimp?
If not I guess ill just have to catch him...

Not really sure, a friend I know feeds wild caught frozen shrimp from T&T market and his fish likes it so you could try that.

LLK
05-12-2010, 01:00 AM
i lost a porcelain crab and a snail to one them, I had to remove all my live rock to get him out. I tried the bottle trap but was not too successful

4lti7ude
05-12-2010, 04:37 AM
Wooop, wooop.
I caught that sucker real good.
After a failed attempt at building a blockage way of chop sticks to drive him into the open...
I just took the top layer of rock out to get him. Thank god, I only have a 20Gallon.

Im so relieved that hes out now. He wasn't causing any trouble but id rather be safe then sorry.

Oh ya a friend of mine took him and is buying me a Bangai cardinal :biggrin:

burgerchow
05-12-2010, 07:32 AM
They are reef safe ( kept one for 2 years in a 25gallon a few years ago) As far as the definition of reef safe is on this forum, no it won't harm or eat any of your corals, but you'll have to keep buying new fish as the small ones will just disappear over time. ( and you thought a lobster dinner is expensive) lol

Guru
05-12-2010, 02:51 PM
I have one she has doubled in size, i have her with 2 clownfish and a watchman goby in a oceanic 12g.
She has never caused any problem, she is also the only cleanup crew.
Maybe shes too well fed to cause troubles but what a pretty creature.
Definitly safe in my tank.

Ian
05-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Mine became a resident of my refugium after costing me a small fortune in inverts and a few fish...but he was 100% safe according to the LFS......Karma was my ally when mt peacock mantis tank was cracked and the mantis needed an emergency home.....wanna guess who now owns the reguge:smile:

couchrugby2
05-15-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a purple and blue crayfish (Lobster without claws) and although he has gotten bigger over time, all my crabs, shrimp, corals, softies and fish are great and I have never lost any.