PDA

View Full Version : Black and white maxima in Canada

fkshiu
05-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Anyone have one or ever seen one of these guys on sale in Canada?

fkshiu
05-10-2010, 11:19 PM
Nobody, eh?

Darn, I've always wanted a B/W zebra. Sucks that we can't import ORA stuff.

http://www.orafarm.com/clams.html

Zoaelite
05-10-2010, 11:29 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=64332

Blue world is about to put an order through, you should see if he can get them for you.

andestang
05-11-2010, 02:34 AM
I've been after one for about 3 years now. I checked with ORA and they said they don't see them that often and shipping them to Canada is very unlikely, even through a LFS (mostly because of cities & cost) But the search goes on, like bugging one of my favorite LFS every couple of months.

fkshiu
05-11-2010, 03:32 AM
I've checked numerous sources many times and the common answer is that all the really nice and rare high-end stuff (like B/W maximas) goes to Europe/Asia (esp. Japan) because there's a greater demand with higher prices there. US distributors get second crack at the good stuff then the rest of the world (including Canada) get the leftovers.

shrimpchips
05-11-2010, 04:59 AM
We get them in Toronto only extremely rarely. I think I saw one or two come through last year.

reef_to_reef
05-12-2010, 03:08 AM
We get them in Toronto only extremely rarely. I think I saw one or two come through last year.

I have seen a few around here aswell, in Toronto and Hamilton I saw a few.

jimskoi
05-13-2010, 02:45 PM
I have been dealing with ORA for years and there is no chance to be getting clams from them anytime soon.They can not get permits to export at this time.
When they do.I will be the first to know and will bring lots of them in.I have been wanting their clams for years.

BlueWorldAquatic
05-13-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=64332

Blue world is about to put an order through, you should see if he can get them for you.

Sorry, we still have no access to Clams due to Cities, working on a director at ORA though. :twised: Might get her to approve it if I pester her enough.

It's not that they "can't", its that they "won't", they consider it a logistics nightmare, and due to costs they'd rather deal with the USA only for that.

I am amazed they get by shipping without USFW permits to Canada.

Ken

saltcreep
05-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Ken,

For domestic fish, which is what their product is, no USFW permits are required.

CITES is a whole other issue. In my dealings with Vince in the past, it has come down to the fact that there is enough demand in the US for the clams so they don't need to bother with re-export permits.

For coral and seahorses, the issue is more convoluted. It comes down essentially what is the country of origin and how do you prove it. Not quite that simple, but is the easiest way to explain it.

Red Coral Aquariums
05-13-2010, 07:19 PM
I have been dealing with ORA for years and there is no chance to be getting clams from them anytime soon.They can not get permits to export at this time.
When they do.I will be the first to know and will bring lots of them in.I have been wanting their clams for years.

I have a few customers that have purchased ORA corals from Oceanic Corals. Maybe they might want to share with us how it is possible to purchase corals from ORA???
Kevin

jimskoi
05-13-2010, 07:32 PM
You cannot.
ORA does not have cites for corals,clams and Sea horses to be exported.They are not able to get the permits for them to export because the government will not issue them the permits.The reason is that ORA cannot provide the necessary paper work to prove they were not brought in illegally.Since they culture their own corals.They cannot provide the permits. So,no export.

Now some of the soft corals they have do not need cites.As long as they are on man made rock,Its fine.
I have put in request for ORA to send me an email so I can post it here for you all to read.

Someday I hope this will change.I think it will make it better for the environment to have more companies culturing fish/corals.

George
05-13-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a few customers that have purchased ORA corals from Oceanic Corals. Maybe they might want to share with us how it is possible to purchase corals from ORA???
Kevin

I suspect that ORA corals from Oceanic are just frags from other reefers within Canada, or frags from Oceanic's own colonies, not directly from ORA. ORA uses a specific frag plug from what I read on various US sites. How did they obtain ORA corals in Canada in the first place is another story. Then again there is no easy way to tell if a coral is from ORA or not.

jimskoi
05-13-2010, 07:50 PM
I suspect that ORA corals from Oceanic are just frags from other reefers within Canada, or frags from Oceanic's own colonies, not directly from ORA. ORA uses a specific frag plug from what I read on various US sites. How can people obtain ORA corals in Canada in the first place is another story. Then again there is no easy way to tell if a coral is from ORA or not.

Soft corals can be purchased from ORA without a problem.Its the SPS,clams and Seahorses the cannot be.

Here is a quote from my contact at ORA.

"Our soft corals don't need cites. They are mounted on aragonite blocks"

George
05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Soft corals can be purchased from ORA without a problem.Its the SPS,clams and Seahorses the cannot be.

Here is a quote from my contact at ORA.

"Our soft corals don't need cites. They are mounted on aragonite blocks"

Sorry, I should be specific. I meant SPS corals.

saltcreep
05-13-2010, 10:26 PM
This discussion is pretty simple. If there are ORA corals that require CITES, seahorses, or clams in Canada, they have been smuggled in. Period!!!

Gooly001
05-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Oh Boy,

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Kevin you are more then welcome to contact DFO and have them come over and go through my paperwork.

I just don't think Canreef is the proper vessel for you to try and rehash this argument as it was already done almost the same time last year.

Cheers,

Paul

Kevin

Red Coral Aquariums
05-13-2010, 11:24 PM
You are correct Paul;

I was hoping and crossing my fingers that their cultured product requiring a cities could find a way to Canada. And was hoping you might have some insight. I was NOT insinuating anything else. This part of this thread is ended as far as I am concerned.

fkshiu

It looks like the Black and White Clams can be brought in from Japan as I have paperwork started from their but no guarantee that a B&W would be included.

reef_to_reef

Did you happen (when you saw the B&W Maxima's) what country they came out of??

Kevin

fkshiu
09-20-2010, 05:19 AM
I'll revive this old thread in response to reef_to_reef mentioning that he's seen B/W maximas in Hamilton and Toronto. Those may well have been gold maximas which can appear black and white when they are young, but will develop other colours as they mature. A "true" black and white maxima remains pristinely black and white even as it becomes fully grown.

Red Coral: I'll continue to keep my eyes open for any B&Ws.