PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pulled the Hagen T5 Glo's Apart?

zum14
05-09-2010, 12:58 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has pulled the T5 Glo light apart? Ive got 2 of the Dual Lights and was wondering if both lights were run on one ballast or if there seperate? I want to try to individually switch them. Im going to open one up tonight if i can to take a peek. I have a feeling its a no, would be nice though.

mike31154
05-09-2010, 06:45 AM
I've opened up a 2x39 watt GLO and there is only one ballast in there. IRRC if one bulb goes bad, the other one will also not light (EOL protected), so probably not feasible to switch them individually. I reckon you've probably already opened it by now though and found out for yourself. I have several photos of the innards, but haven't uploaded them yet. If you want pics advise & I'll post what I have.

zum14
05-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Ya I noticed that as well, Oh well, i guess thats why there a cheaper light. Thanks anyways. Better start saving.

mike31154
05-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I've actually found the quality of the GLO light to be quite good for the price. Even though it's a single reflector for two lamps on the dual models, the reflector cleans up very well with no residual salt spray marks on it. My current retro T5 set up single reflectors have salt marks all over them that I can't get off by just wiping them with a damp cloth. Too much hassle to try and polish them & not sure there's anything that will work without ruining them totally. The endcaps, wiring and ballast in the GLO lights show good workmanship and are good quality components. If switching lamps individually is your goal, I have no hesitation in recommending a number of single lamp GLO lights rather than a monster fixture with 4, 6 or 8 lamps crammed in close together. Fans for cooling are about the only worthwhile improvement I'd like to see on the GLOs.

zum14
05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
I've actually found the quality of the GLO light to be quite good for the price. Even though it's a single reflector for two lamps on the dual models, the reflector cleans up very well with no residual salt spray marks on it. My current retro T5 set up single reflectors have salt marks all over them that I can't get off by just wiping them with a damp cloth. Too much hassle to try and polish them & not sure there's anything that will work without ruining them totally. The endcaps, wiring and ballast in the GLO lights show good workmanship and are good quality components. If switching lamps individually is your goal, I have no hesitation in recommending a number of single lamp GLO lights rather than a monster fixture with 4, 6 or 8 lamps crammed in close together. Fans for cooling are about the only worthwhile improvement I'd like to see on the GLOs.

Interesting. I agree, contstruction is very sturdy. I wouldnt hesitate to run the singles as well for switching but I just dont have the room over the tank. Fans would be pretty sweet too, could diy something.